1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1 - fan speedup?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Smurfin, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,173
    I've had my Sanyo Z1 for almost a year now, got it when it first came out and so far have run up just over 300 hours on the lamp.

It's worked fine since day one, worked fine I might add, when the first few batches suffered in some cases from the dreaded fan speedup fault: it would be in eco mode then after a while it would kick into high power-hurricane mode:D

The problem I have isn't as severe as that, however just recently I've noticed that the projectors noise pitch isn't even: it gets louder every 10 seconds or so.

Its not really distracting, in fact I only noticed it first once I'd switched a film off, but it has me worried.

Bearing in mind the warranty expires in literally a few weeks, has anyone had this problem and has it developed beyond more than a mere "tonal" change?

I know it's been hot recently, and initially I thought it was simply the room temperature, but the last few days my living rooms been cool and I still noticed it.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
    smurf

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi smurf....

Wouldn't expect fan wear after only 300 hrs usage, have a search for posts by avs Z1 guru (Rone I think...... could be wrong....) he had a "fix" for fan speed-up via the service menu.

If you're fretting (understandably) about this being an indicator of some other malady, tho' I've no idea that it might be, you could get it checked while it's under warranty just to be sure.

All the best,

Sean G.

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,365
    Smurfin

I thought the Z1 had a 2 yr guarantee.I hope so I bought mine from Nexnix.

Regards

4. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That depends. According to 7oaks, those sourced from the UK distributor (like mine) have got a 2 year guarantee while parallel imports (generally dealers who deal in large enough quantities to import themselves) will only have one year. I was considering buying from AV-Sales but went with 7oaks when they came close enough to the AV-Sales price plus it meant that I got the 2yr warranty. Don't know about Nexnix - you'll need to check which warranty you get.

HTH,

_

5. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smufin,

I notice my Z1 has uneven fan noise too and you describe it perfectly. I thought it might be the speed up problem but it never actually sped up that much so I forgot about it. It only speeds up and slows down a small amount and does do it in a kind of cycle every 5 to 10 seconds.

I only hear it in the very quiet scenes where the film is dull enough to start paying more attention to the equipment.

Mine is only a few months old.

Any body else noticed it?

Cheers,
    Cal.

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Hi

Mine does it but only when it is particularly warm in the room. Perhaps the current warm weather has emphasised the problem for you.

I had a tinker around in the service menu and slightly sped up the idle speed of the fan.

This stopped the ramping up and down effect but I found the overall increase in fan noise less acceptable than the slight whirring up and down...

My final solution was astonishing in its simplicity but the problem has now completely gone away... I open the window before settling down to watch a film :)

Steve

7. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,173
    cheers guys, guess its nothing to worry about at the moment