1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1 Dust blob Cleaning Procedure?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uksteve69, Aug 11, 2003.

1. uksteve69

uksteve69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only had my pj for a couple of weeks but have just noticed that I have a few dust blobs, 3 green and a couple of blue.
    Is there a correct method of removing the cover and using compressed air on the optics, or should I just return it to nexnix for a replacement?

Cheers

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    Hi Steve

I have had my Z1 for about 3 months now, like you I had a few dust blobs after a week or so of use.I bought a can of Invertable air duster from RS components in b/ham cost about £8 their part no 497-280.This stuff is a solvent free gas so no nasty bits will blow out of can and get on your lcd panels.

Turn pj over( on its back) remove the six screws holding the case together.When screws removed turn back over then try and remove top of the case.you will find that the front end where the lens is can be a bit tricky to dislodge but it will come off with a bit of pressure.
    When lid is loose be carefull as there are some leads attatched to the control buttons on the inside of the lid from the pc board.These can be removed but can be left attatched if you are carefull.I recommend turning pj on its side and with the lid slid out of the way you should see three squarish appetures on the pc board with 3 ribbons going into them,this is where the 3 lcd panels are.Its now a question of just squirting away down the appertures with your can of air duster ( at least 3-4 short 2-3 seconds blast per appeture)

You wont know whether it has worked till you reasemble pj and switch back on.I had around 7-8 dust blobs before cleaning but only 2 after cleaning and these were at the bottom edge of screen in the black border so I did not bother re cleaning.I will wait till a few more appear as the one's left are no bother at the mo.The whole cleaning process will take around 10-15 mins.By the way since I cleaned mine a month or so ago I have had no additional dustblobs re-appear.

Regarding sending back to nexnix,I would not bother, even if they send out a new pj or get your unit cleaned I think it would only be a matter of time before you got some more dust blobs.This is a problem most projectors suffer from, you just have to live with it and do a spring clean every once in a while.

I am in Wolverhampton and if you want you could pm me for my phone number if you need any more info.

3. uksteve69

uksteve69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers kbfern.
    Have just had a go at cleaning since another large blob appeared. I used a can of Jessops Clean Aer. It took 3 goes to get them all off (had about 7 in total) and am left with 1 still. Not too bad. I shall have another go just before I ceiling mount it next week.
    I see what you mean about the top case being tricky, but when you've done it once it's too difficult.

Thanks