1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1 and htpc 1:1 mapping

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by totem, Mar 13, 2003.

1. totem

totem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Z1 has just arrived. I am new to HTPC, and have set up according to posts at 960x540 in order to get 1:1.
    The sanyo is recognizing the display as WIDE THRU, what does this mean? How do I tell if I am really achieving 1:1 pixel mapping. The specs say that anything other than 964x544 will cause scaling but posts suggest it is 960x540.
    Does anyone know what the powerstrip settings need to be?

thanks

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you scan the AVSforums you will find lots of info on this.

You will need to define a custom mode on the z1 that also can be found on the AVSforums.

There is a chart available for download which shows you when you have reached 1-1 mapping.

The Z1 reverts to wide-thru on start up and you will have to switch to the custom Mode once you have set it up.

I would give you the info now but I don't have my z1 with me.

3. BrynJ

BrynJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to create the 960x540 using Powerstrip (if you have not done already, I've attached a file with the exact settings).

As ROne says, once this is done you need create a custom mode on the Z1 using these settings:

Fine Sync: 1-31 (adjust for a stable picture)
    Total Dots: 1104 (the important setting)
    Horizontal: 129 (approximately, might need tweaking)
    Vertical: 21 (again might need tweaking)

You then need to make sure you are in Full or True picture mode display 1:1 pixel mapping.

One last thing, unfortunately the Z1 never seems to remember the required mode when you power up. To fix this you need to switch to the 'Wide Thru' mode and the back to Mode 1 (or whatever mode number you saved your settings to).

Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

4. totem

totem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks , I will try this
    Do I need to create separate setting for ntsc and pal, and also separate settings depending on the dvd ratio ie 16/9, 2.35 : 1 etc or will this one setting I create be ok for all dvds?
    and how can I tell that I have acheived 1:1 mapping, will the z1 menu display something or do I just assume that if I have powerstrip set to the above settings it will be 1:1 pixel mapping?

5. olaiho

olaiho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    totem,
    set this image to your desktop background. Set it as "tiled" so it repeats all over your desktop.

Image by Mark Rejhon

If you have achieved 1:1 pixel mapping, this image will look perfectly stable, with no fuzzy bands or flickering. Check this thread for more info on how it should and shouldn't look:

Calibrating tracking / phase for pixel perfection

You should always use native resolution, regardless of aspect ratio or video system(ntsc/pal). The image will look best this way, because the PC (instead of the projector) is doing all the nasty work required for scaling the picture to the preferred resolution.

Best Regards,
    Olaiho

6. totem

totem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thank you olaiho

I will try it this evening

7. BrynJ

BrynJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some good advice there olaiho. One interesting thing I found was that I could set the phase ('Fine Sync' on the Z1) better using the cross-hatch pattern that appears in W2K when you select the shutdown menu (my desktop background is set to Prairie Wind). The lower contrast on display here showed a very slight shimmer in the image that was not evident when I flicked to the Mark Rejhon image.

Anyhow best of luck with the configuration totem - you shouldn't have any problems.