1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1 - 5ft Screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by danatk, Jan 21, 2003.

1. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

I've decided plasmas are just too damn expensive so I've started looking at LCD projectors - the prices seem incredible for the screen sizes you can get!

The Sanyo Z1 sounds nice, but of course I'll get a demo before buying.

What I want to know is will it be OK with a 5ft screen, and where can i get a decent pull-down 5ft screen in 16:9 format?

My room measures 13ft from the wall where the screen will be to the back wall where the projector will be mounted. My viewing position (where my head would be, i presume) is approx 10ft from the screen.

The screen will be mounted on the chimney breast which is 5ft across. If I wanted to go wider it would mean the screen casing would stick out either side of the chimney breast so I would have to mount some shelves in the alcoves or something to make it look right.

Also, with my planned viewing distance I don't think i can go much wider than 5ft?

So, anyone know where to get 5ft screens? I've seen 5ft 4:3 screens - i suppose I could use one of these and mask off the top portion to make it 16:9?

Any ideas?

thanks,
    dan.

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Z1 and 5' screen. I view from ~9' and it is fine - I would think that 6' viewed from 10' would be fine. Draper do 16:9 screens in their Luma range in 5' - though I am having problems with ripples in mine so I may return it. Finally, if the projector is 13' from the screen, you are limited to screen sizes of 8' 1" to 9' 7" due to the throw ratio of the projector. From 10' these are going to be too big so you either need to ceiling mount the Z1 or consider a PJ with a longer throw.

HTH,

_

3. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanks underscore!

so with the Z1 I will need to mount nearer the screen? that shouldn't be a problem, in fact I think it would be better hanging from the ceiling than behind me on the wall. would fan noise become an issue with the pj hanging directly above?

how do I work out the correct distance range to get a 5ft image from the Z1?

how far can I angle the pj downwards and still get a nice square image?

dan.

4. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  5. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cool thanks for the link.

i can see now that if I mount the z1 say 8ft from the wall I can get a screen from 4.8 - 5.9 ft which will be fine.

so, where to buy a pulldown screen where the casing is 5ft across? don't like the sound of ripples too much....

also - anyone know where I can get a Z1 for a home demo? I don't mind paying a hefty deposit etc....

thanks
    dan.

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Screen's can hang from the ceiling too. Most manufacturers will add extra drop to position the screen at the right height, for a small fee.
    You might fit in a larger screen without it looking stupid.

In black mode the PJ is very quiet.

A big advantage to the Z1 from my POV is the lens shift feature. The projected image can be moved (within limits) without angling the PJ at all. Makes setup and positioning much easier.

Mat

7. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanks for the reply avanzato

we live in a victorian house and i think the ceiling is too high for mounting a screen, it would need a hell of a big drop to get it down to a good viewing height and would look a bit strange i think.

therefore, the wall mount seems to be the way to go.

so far, the only 16:9 screen i can find online that's 60" across is the draper luma. i've read other posts about ripples on this screen on these forums. is it really that bad?

dan.

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've just had a call back about my price enquiry for a pull down screen. So I asked about ripples, and they are prone to them. He said most are in the black area down the side of the screen and it depends how annoying they are to you.

It made up my mind to get a fixed screen.
    DIY though as the size I want cost £500+ for a ready made one.

Can you fit a fixed screen above the fireplace.
    Pretend it's modern art or something:D

Mat

9. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    i just checked with the missus about painting a white square or a putting a fixed screen above the fireplace, she wasn't really into the idea to be honest.

i think the better quality (more expensive) pull-downs don't suffer from the ripples but I can't see any that are 5ft across.

one thing i did think was that if you had something to clip the bottom of the screen to when pulled down this might create a bit of tension and pull any ripples taught...

dan.

10. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Re the lens shift on the Z1 (which I am to order soon...), can the pj be mounted flush to the ceiling (or near flush) without the screen also having to be ceiling high (does that make any sense?).

Would like PJ to be flush mounted as much as possible as in the middle of the room and the screen to be maybe 12 - 18" down from the ceiling.

Cheers
    Rob.

11. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The lens shift will get the top or bottom of the image level with the lens of the PJ.
    So you would need to angle the Z1 down or your screen would start at ceiling height.

Here's a link to the Sanyo site

lens shift pics

Hope That Helps

Mat

12. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    argh!

i just got home and did some tape measure acrobatics.

it seems that the ceiling is definitely too high to mount the z1 effectively. the back wall is also out due to the short throw.

the ceiling is actually lowered at the back of my room to form a small loft meaning there is a sort of second back wall that extends to about 4ft below the ceiling and is about 10ft from the screen.

so, if i got some tv bracket that stuck out 2ft i could mount the z1 on that and get just about the right picture size but i think the pj might look a bit conspicuous sticking out like that.

nightmare.

alternatively i could go for a bigger screen that sticks out either side of the chimney breast, but then I'm worried about my viewing distance of 10ft being too close. I'd be getting down to about 1.7x screen width. Is that OK?

the other option is the sony HS10, which sounds great but is an extra £1k!! a lot of money to allow the projector to sit flush against the wall, despite the better PQ.

this seemed like an easy decision this morning!

dan.

13. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Dan

Try your local Sevenoaks for a home trial. I had one from them a couple of weeks back. Don't worry about all the calculations / planning right now! Get a trial and then you'll know 100% if it is the right PJ for you. I will echo your comment though - I wish I had another £1000 for the HS10 - the throw on that would have been perfect for me also:)

14. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Have you thought about the Infocus X1 I think it has a longer throw lens than the Sanyo and you might be able to wall mount it.
    The Infocus website has a viewing distance calculator.
    A comparison review on avsforum concluded the X1 and Z1 were about equal.
    The X1 is a 4:3 native DLP projector with 16:9 mode so it might be worth seeing one even if it's to check if you can see the DLP rainbows or not.

Mat

15. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanks for the info guys.

the X1 certainly looks ideal but i bet i see the rainbows!

also, if it's native 4:3 with 16:9 mode what does this mean in real terms? will I need a 4:3 screen? what about watching DVD's, will there be a compromise of PQ in the non-native 16:9 mode?

thanks again,
    dan.

16. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi!

As well as the dem of the Z1 I had X1 last night to play with. Not many good points from my positioning point of view:

1. As the PJ is located behind me I had to raise it up to clear my head. As there is no lens shift the pic was way too high so had to use some books at the back which made the PJ very unstable...

2. When the PJ is in 16:9 mode and you are watching a 2.35:1 movie you get the first black border. Then another black borde of a different shade making up the 4:3 image, then another thin black border round the whole image.

3. Rainbows, rainbows everywhere:) I have never viewed a DLP PJ before and all was great until I moves my eyes/head. OMG - not at all good...

Pic was OK, certainly no better than the Z1 but on the whole not right for me...

17. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    interesting....

i could ceiling mount a Z1 but it would need quite a long column to get it to a suitable height.

i understand with the lens shift the top of the image will be parallel with the centre of the lens. This would make the image too high on my wall so I would need to angle the projector downwards a little.

how is the Z1 angled downwards? is the keystone feature necessary and if so how does this affect PQ?

dan.

18. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You would need to raise the back like I did with the X1 [the Z1 has two front feet so remains stable unlike the X1 which has one in the centre!. I did this slightly with the Z1 and didn't need to use any Keystone. I had originally set the Z1 on a table and angled it upward and used keystone. Picture quality did not seem to be effected. You will however need a screen [not a wall as I was using] to properly define the edge of the picture.

19. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    well, i would probably use one of those uniqol brackets that can be titled so no worries there. what kind of angle do you think i could get away with?

i don't really understand what you mean about needing a screen to define the edge. is this because it gets blurred or something when angled?

dan.

20. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Not sure on the angles to be honest but there is a lot of flexibility to be had without any loss in quality....

When you use Keystone it moves the source picture but you still see the edge of the projected image [which will be at an angle]. This [to me] is a little off putting and having a screen with a defined black edge will mean this is not seen...

21. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ok thanks

i think the only real solution here is to get a demo unit and try all this out for real in my room.

otherwise, does anyone know of a dealer who will allow me to return a Z1 for a refund if i'm not happy with it?

dan.

22. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the bulb life of the Z1 and is it longer in black mode? Look at the Z1 site specs but no mention of the bulb life:confused:

23. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2000hrs bulb life - 3000 in eco-mode.

_

24. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thks for the info:)

25. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sevenoaks let me take a Z1 home to try out, so here's the report:

As I'd hoped, this is a great little projector and the PQ in 'cinema black' mode was very watchable. I put on 'Fight Club' which is a pretty dark film and I didn't have a problem with the black level. OK it's not perfect as one would expect from LCD but I was more than happy overall.

Afterwards I put on 'As Good As It Gets' to try a different perspective - again, i was perfectly happy although the picture did seem a little noisy at times. When I turned off the 'cinema black' mode it seemed _very_ noisy. Still watchable though.

Perhaps this is down to my cheapo toshiba sd-220e player (connected by component)?

As for screendoor, sometimes I could see the effect if i moved my eyes quickly to catch something happening on the far side of the screen, or sometimes it just seemed to appear from out of nowhere. However, this didn't bother me at all and if i wasn't looking for it i probably wouldn't notice it. I was sitting about 1.7x screen width.

So, for the price this seems like a great buy and I would be a proud owner by now except for the show-stopper - throw ratio.

Unfortunately, as I'd feared, there is nowhere in my room that this projector can be succesfully mounted to get the correct sized image in the correct place. If only the throw were a little longer it would have been perfect. As it turned out, i needed to put the PJ on a small table right in front of the sofa. This gave the correct image but the table was just too close to the sofa. Also, I had to angle the PJ upwards to get the image to clear the fireplace. This required keystone correction to get a squared image. This seemed to work very well - I couldn't see any noticeable loss of quality with the keystone correction on full tilt. However, the strange borders around the image created by the keystone correction were a little offputting, and would probably end up really annoying me.

One thing that's worth pointing out is that even with the PJ right in front of me for two DVD's I wasn't at all bothered by the fan noise, and the exhaust fan is at the rear.

I'm now trying to get hold of an HS-10 to demo. This costs quite a bit more but I don't mind paying extra if the image is really nice and most importantly, the long throw will allow me to wall mount the PJ.

The only concern is fan noise - I'm hopeful about this because the Z1's fans didn't bother me at all. Does anyone know how much louder the HS10 is compared to the Z1?

Finally, I just want to say that I was totally blown away by the experience of having a projector in my living room. This is real home cinema! RPTV's, Plasmas, Huge CRT's - these are just big tellys. A projector brings the cinema into your house, no mistake.

The whole atmosphere was great - the beams of light scanning across the room from the PJ - love it! Cigarette smoke hanging in the light (reminded me of how the cinema used to be!). The huge image on the wall for you to really look into - like when you get a wide shot looking down a street you really feel like you're looking down that street, whereas with TV's you just feel like you're looking at a picture of a street. Awesome!

Dan