Sanyo Z1/2/3 owners past & present

Digger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have a spare Sanyo-wired RGB Scart to VGA cable lying about? I am led to believe that the wiring is different than the norm, and its the only way of getting RGB into my Z3. I have placed an ad in the Wanted Classifieds but thought I might get a quicker response here. If so feel free to wander over to ...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248298

cheers
Dave

MODS - Sorry if this breaks any house rules...

Thanks Ken. I was aware of Keene's cables. You have forced me into admitting that I am being a cheapskate on this occasion.... :rolleyes: . I am lending my Z3 to a mate who who would require this cable to work with his dvd player but he does not want to pay full price for it...hence this request

Was it included in the Z2 as standard?

If so i'll check the attic, as all the extra/unwanted gubbins are still in the box, and its yours if i have it. Or course being a lazy sod, it would be nice to know before i go rumaging about.

Thanks iZed.
I have just checked out an online (US) review of the Z2 and the (UK) manual and it appears that it only has DVI socket and no VGA! - now you really should get round the back of your projector more often :devil:.
Might still be worth giving the attic a tidy up now...hehe :suicide:

cheers :smashin:
Dave

Hi

It doesn't matter.

All you need is a DVI>VGA dongle (couple of quid from a computer store).

The DVI socket on the Z2 accepts RGB SCART without any problem at all.

If you want to do it on the cheap, just buy a VGA cable the right length and cut the other end off. Solder a SCART plug on and Bob's your uncle...

Here is a very old thread of mine which tells you how to wire it up.

You should be able to do it for less than a tenner.

Steve

Stevelup.
I have a Z3. I was just responding to iZed's request as to what he might or might not find before he went rummaging in his Z2 box in the attic. I need this specific cable as i believe (might be wrong) it is Sanyo specific. Just to clarify I am looking for a RGB Scart to DB15 VGA. Z3 does not have DVI.

cheers

Hi

My instructions in the link above are correct for Z1, Z2 and Z3, and have been tested personally by myself and found to work. (They will probably be good for the Z4 too although I've not personally tested this yet)

The only anomaly is that the Z2 needs a DVI dongle as it hasn't got a VGA port.

You can certainly follow my recipe to make up a cheap lead for your Z3.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve. I have never done any soldering. Anyways I went into Maplin the other day and got myself a cheap "cabling iron", solder, and a cheap scart plug. I have managed to find an old ( and I mean old) vga extension cable. I have cut off the female end, stared at the bundle wires in dumbfoundment (word?), and then realised i have a multimeter and the relevant pinout diagram (i hope) from the www so should be able to work it out.

Tomorrow I intend to glue it all together and I imagine I will find it quite fiddly, being my first cable stitch job and all... :). If you have any advice let me know?

regards
Dave

I'd just practice your soldering first to be honest.

I'd suggest doing the following.

Heat the pin on the scart plug, then apply solder to it.

Trim and twist the end of the wire, then heat it and apply solder to it.

Next, heat the scart pin again and simply touch your "tinned" wire to it. It should stick.

Here's a pinout for you:-

Pin - Scart > VGA

Red - 15 > 1
Red Ground - 13 > 6

Green - 11 > 2
Green Ground - 9 > 7

Blue - 7 > 3
Blue Ground - 5 > 8

Sync - 19 > 13
Sync Ground - 17 > 10

Many Thanks Steve, and apologies for the cabling conversation to the rest of you :boring:
The pinouts on this link are the same apart from scart pin 17 > ? and looking at the diagram from the Z3 manual i am unsure whether to go for VGA pin 5 or 10. Hopefully no damage can be done if i get the wrong one!

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?SBB92S

SCART TO 15 PIN HD MALE RGB (WIRED RGBs FOR SANYO)
High quality scart to 15 pin HD male SVGA plug. Gold plated connections on scart.
Application: RGsB (3 core) Wired for Sanyo projectors
Length: 1.8m
Suitable for use with Sanyo PLVZ1 projectors, chassis numbers Z1xx onwards.
The connections are as follows
Scart pin : VGA pin
Blue Screen 5 : 8
Blue signal 7 : 3
Green Screen 9 : 7
Green signal 11 : 2
Red screen 13 : 6
Red signal 15 : 1
Composite Video screen 17 : 5
Composite Video signal 19 : 13

Hi

Pins 5 and 10 are internally connected in the projector so it doesn't really matter.

You are right though that pin 5 is technically the correct one though, not pin 10.

Regards,

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom