1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo projector problem - can anyone help ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by simon massey, Apr 3, 2002.

1. simon massey

simon massey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello - this is my first post to this forum, so hope you'll forgive any inaccuracies.

I have quite an old Sanyo projector (PLC XU20B), which I have been using for some time to watch my DVDs on. I own both Region 1 and 2, and never had a problem playing these.

However, the projector suddenly stopped displaying Region 1 NTSC images, (the DVD player works fine, and it is not a regional coding problem), and I have noticed colour patches on the images displayed on the R2 PAL images. I also noticed that the TINT function has been disabled, and I am not sure why.

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify what the problem is, and what can be done about it. I thought it may simply require a bulb replacement, but I don't want to go to the considerable expense of doing that without being sure that this will sort the problem out.

Many thanks in advance

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Tint should only be available with NTSC signals, and not PAL.

If Tint stops working then it usually means that the signal isn't actually NTSC. An example would be a R1 NTSC disc played in a DVD player that converts it to 60Hz PAL.

Check your DVD player for a menu setting (or region mod) that might affect this. Have you moved the player recently or changed cables at all? Some players like the Rotel have an NTSC PAL switch on the back panel which can easily be knocked.

On the projector, check the menus for something like "Video Format" or "TV Standard". It is usually a list like this:

AUTO
    PAL
    PAL M
    NTSC
    SECAM
    etc

Make sure yours is set to AUTO. This way the projector should recognise NTSC and PAL automatically and display correctly.

If the projector still wont display NTSC try setting the menu to each of the NTSC settings to force it into this mode.

IOf this still doesn't work then you may have a problem with the video decoder in the projector. This would need servicing.

Regards

3. simon massey

simon massey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your reply Chris

I have checked on the back of the DVD player (Pioneer DV717) and it is switched to AUTO - I did try changing to PAL and NTSC with no effect.

(PS I didn't realise that Tint did not work on PAL anyway - thanks for that)

I have also tried going through the various settings on the projector with no success.

I actually wondered whether I might have accidentally caused the problem by using a games console on the projector - a Nintendo 64. I did read recently that this can sometimes cause damage to a projector, and wondered if this may be the cause of the colour spots on the image I can get from PAL discs.

That said, could you possible recommend any service providers in the Manchester area who I can take it to, and a likely cost for repairs/replacement of the decoder.

Once again, thank you for your help on this.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Sanyo have a number of local service agents throughout the UK. You can get a list from Sanyo. Visit their web site at web site and go to Services for Sanyo's phone and email contact details.

Good luck