1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLVZ1 a bit on the green side

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dodd, Feb 27, 2003.

1. dodd

dodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have been after a projector for a few months now ...its pretty hard making that final decision! So much choice and each model with its good and bad points.

First I had a demonstration of the Optoma H50 . The was great until I started seeing rainbows . I really was affected quite badly and the effect really strained my eyes , so I knew I had to go for an LCD projector. At least it narrowed my search down!

Last week I had an hour long demo of the Sanyo PLVZ1 . It was just a pity that the guy in the shop didn't know what he was doing . I was very very impressed by the quality of the image and saw no pixellation from where I was sitting ( about 15 foot back from the 8 foot screen ) . One problem , however was that in daylight scenes the projector gave an over green tinged image - very artificial looking . The guy tried to adjust the machine but to no effect. I did read on the projectorcentral website that you can help the problem by toning down the green colour manually .

So does anyone know if this is just a matter of manually tuning or is this the sort of image I should expect from this projector?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dodd

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dodd

I'm not being funny but moving from the Optoma H50 (2300 ish) to the Sanyo Z1 at half the price is a bit of a step down isn't it?

If I was you and you can afford it, I would go for something a bit better like the Panasonic AE300 or the Sony VPL-HS10 - both of which I believe are very good LCD units (well - I've got an HS10 so I know that's a good unit).

I gather that the Sanyo Z1 is a very good unit for the price, but I also gather than the performance from either of the above units is really in a different league - as is the performance of the Optoma H50.

Just my 2p worth...
    John

3. dodd

dodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

I know what you mean ... but the Optoma was really stretching my budget . I guess I just wanted to check it out to see what a decent picture from a DLP Projector looked like.

Thanks for your advice anyway . I heard the Sony was a very good machine , but I have been finding it difficult to find somewhere doing a demo of it.

Cheers

Dodd

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gather the Panasonic AE300 is kind of half-way at £1800 ish? I think that's a good machine.

If I were you I would spend a bit of time researching and saving up - even a month's worth would be worth it...

Don't forget nexnix.co.uk sell the HS10 for £2113 incl VAT

Bearing in mind a new bulb costs about £200-£300, maybe a kind person might sell you their slightly used HS10 with a reduction of that magnitude for the bulb... :)

Cheers
    John

5. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dodd

When I had a demo of the Z1 the DVD I took along that had natural scenes did not look very good. It had crushed greys and over saturated colours. I think the problem is that the Z1 is supplied with the gamma set incorrectly which gives this effect, it will also emphasise any colour imbalance on the original material. The colour balance and gamma are easily adjustable in the operational menus of the projector. It is also possible to use a flourescent daylight filter with the projector to reduce the green output further.

My Z1 does have a tendency to make greens look slightly more saturated than they would on a normal TV, however I suspect that this is the case with all LCD projectors. The colour production method will inevitably produce a different gamut of colours from a CRT.

I am very happy with my Z1; it is not perfect, no display system is, but it is very good. The HS10 is no doubt better, but I suspect the improvement is mainly in the reduced pixellation, not the colour balance, and the extra £1000 in cost makes more difficult to justify. After all the Z1 is about the same price as an upmarket large screen TV set but the HS10 is rather a lot more expensive than that.

Bill

6. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I'm not knocking the Z1 - for the price I understand that its a cracking machine and I agree about reduced pixellation and screendoor.

I would imagine that if the Z1 service menu is as comprehensive as the HS10 then a lot could be acheived by calibration but of course I don't own one so I can't comment.

Is the HS10 worth an extra £1000 ?? Well that depends on the buyer... If a £1000 is a year's savings then probably not...If you have it lying around then yes it is.. It's all a matter of scale and where in the price / performance graph you want to sit..

PS. I strongly urge you to check out this review:
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_pt_l300u.htm
    Which compares and contrasts the HS10, the AE300 and the Z1

Rgds
    John

7. dodd

dodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bill

Thanks for your advice .
    I was sure that the projector could be adjusted to help with this problem . Apart from this I was very impressed by the picture quality .
    The guy who was giving the demo just didn't have a clue what he was doing . He wasn't even aware what the tint controls were used for and just kept messing around with the machine to no effect . He also gave me lots of wrong information ( as I had already read up on the unit at Projectorcentral.com ) .

Also you mentioned the filter to reduce the green output. Where is a good place to buy one ?

Best wishes

Dodd

8. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I got my filter from Jessops for about £20, probably not the cheapest, but convenient. Its a 52mm Hoya FLD. Its actually a bodge; it fits on the lens backwards with whats laughingly known as an interference fit, and tends to fall off if you have to adjust the focus. I really must get round to fixing it more permanently one of these days.

Incidentally using this filter is slightly lily gilding, in that you can get a good colour balance without the filter and you have to readjust the colour balance with the filter in place. The main aim of the filter is to try and increase the apparent contrast of the display.

Bill