1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV30 vs. Toshiba MT1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by samwiley, Mar 16, 2001.

1. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These are two of the front runners in my quest for big screen on a budget.
    Does anyone have any comments or experience on how these two projectors compare?

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I have seen both. I own the Tosh.
    SANYO:
    First the contrast of the sanyo is much better. Not CRT black but very good.
    Second the picture purity is very even across the screen. Fan noise is ok but noticable. Colours are a little shallow but again fine overall. Convergence/bleed/geometry all looked perfect.

TOSHIBA:
    Contrast is not as good as the sanyo but matches the sanyo when used with a grey screen. Picture purity is perfect across the screen (ie panning shots don't change brightness). The colours are the best i have seen, very vibrant/natural. Again convergence/bleed/geometry are all perfect. fan noise/pitch are excellent.

Both suffer some slight panel structure, but the plus side to LCD is the bright/vibrant pictures in video/gaming. The Tosh is brighter than the Sanyo but you need to use a grey screen with the Tosh to match the sanyo's contrast.

IMHO:
    There is not alot between both, but they are both budget projectors and worth every penny. If price was taken away i would go for the Tosh, but if moneys tight the sanyo is better value for money.

Please note i have now had time to play with my Tosh and find the best settings for me ( i had trouble with the blue colours but found this was caused by the contrast being set to high!). I have not played with the sanyo so it may turn out that the sanyo's colours turn out to be stunning!(again they looked fine but not as good as the tosh).

Hope this helps........Paul

PS the Tosh MT3 is out with a 400-1 contrast.

------------------
    Reality is just an illusion caused by the lack of alcohol....

3. Jimmy the Saint

Jimmy the Saint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done a comparison between the Sanyo, Toshiba and Sony 10HT.
    At the bottom of the list is the Sanyo. Although the blacks are blacker than either of the other two projectors, alot of shadow detail is lost.For example PLV30 owners should look at dark moody scenes from films such as Gladiator and Seven (my test discs for the demo)and would notice on facial shots that eye sockets look particularly dark with complete loss of detail.
    Second came the Toshiba with grey blacks but fantastic colour, depth and resolution. The detail was far superior to the Sanyo and with the use of a Neutral Density Filter x2 produced images of similar contrast to the Sanyo, but with less loss of detail.
    In first place came the Sony. I was able to see this with a grey screen and the resolution and image quality was sublime, it blew the Sanyo away and fared better than the Tosh!
    Unfortunately, it appears that alot of people in this forum are under the impression that the Sanyo is the better projector, because of the level of contrast it offers (especially those licensed to sell it!), but have not had the opportunity to see the competition perform with its ideal screen/filter partner.
    Those looking to buy an LCD or even DLP would do best by waiting for a few months as this technology is shortly due to be surpassed and if desperation sets in, do as I did and take the second hand CRT route. At prices similar to the above mentioned LCDs you won't regret it!!

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Loss of shadow detail with the Sanyo would suggest that the Gamma control (lifts or lowers mid tones/shadow detail) was set too low.

Correctly set, the PLV30 will show a surprising amount of shadow detail without spoiling the black level.

Whether the director intended you to see into every shadowy doorway is another thing...

This debate could rage on.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    If you are experiencing this with the Sanyo, I would suggest that the set up is not correct. On my second, albeit brief visit to Gordon, I was watching the Sanyo. Frankly the picture was poor and not as I remembered it or wrote about it, so whilst Gordon was out of the room I had a peak in the set up. The values were all different. I called in Gordon and he realised that (the removal of the bulb that morning) had probably set the values back to the default. Gordon got out the AVIA test disc and returned the Sanyo to form in a matter of minutes. This in itself was very informative and suggest is something that should be covered on the projector open day. The high quality picture returned within minutes. The difference was night and day.

I have now seen many projectors on my travels and have agreed to purchase one. With the exception of Gordon, most if not all non CRT projectors were set up very badly, especially the Sony.

I guess it is a case of Buyer Beware.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    In my defense it should be pointed out that Nic had just popped in and I had just switched the thing on then left him to play about.

I now regularily check our dem units to make sure no-one has been knob twiddling. Monday mornings I go in and invariable someone has been using our large cinema room for a party or for showing films to relatives......

Nighthmare! It's usually the CRT that gets the brightness and contrast turned up......

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

7. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Wow, I'm really surprised to hear you say that. I watched night scenes from Dark City, the start of the Matrix and For The Love of the Game to compare the picture between the Sanyo and the Sony. There was much more detail visible on the Sanyo. Both were projected onto the same Stewart 1.3 gain screen and had been calibrated using AVIA before the demo.

Cheers,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Lars,
    I haven't had the opportunity to use the NEC units you mention, so it would be unwise of me to comment.

BTW, I can now tell you that we have a solution for the macrovision problem. I'll post the full details sometime over the weekend.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

Gordon, this should not reflect badly on you. Quite the oposite. No defence was necessary.

You were as surprized as me and the whole point of the visit was to spend some additional time and be just left with the unit on my own. Just what you allowed me to do.

I just happened to be working in Glasgow and took advantage, to pop in, with little or no warning, to spend some time with a potential purchase. I feel quiet strong about living with these things and getting personal experience.

Although I did not fiddle with the setting it does just show how dangerous it is to let the public loose on this kit. A certain amount of knowledge is needed to get the best out of it. Do any firms have a pin access to stop kids / wifes tampering with the settings?

10. Lars Hanssen

Lars Hanssen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find the observation above very surprising, considering the recent enthusiasm for the sanyo(except for the macrovision problems)

Chris:
    How is the black level detail on the Sanyo compared to NEC VT440 or 540?

Will the NEC LT85 (150 kid brother) be marketed in Europe? It is not on the European NEC-site.

Cheers
    Lars

11. ragegames

ragegames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would anyone (especially Gordon) like to comment on what they found to be the ideal settings on the Sanyo for their setups? I realise it'll be different for everyone according to their set up and personal taste- just curious.

Peter

12. peopleIknow

peopleIknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just purchased a Sanyo-PLV30 and am keen to set it up correctly, any advice. I note the mention of a 'AVIA test disc', what is this, and were an I get my hands on one ?

13. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It is difficult (near impossible) to give definitive settings for any projector that would look good in all circumstances, there are just too many factors to account for; screen size, lighting conditions, lamp age, system, cables, personal preferences... the list goes on. However, it is possible to give some general guidelines that will help when setting up a projector or TV.

Brightness is often set too high. Although this allows you to see into shadow areas it also washes out the picture (like a grey mist over everything) and reduces the intensity of the colours.

Contrast is often set too high. The effect is that highlight details are bleached out. Choose a few scenes that are brightly lit. Look for fine detail in clouds and white/cream clothes. If you reduce the contrast and see more detail coming through then the contrast was set too high.

Sharpness. Many projectors and most TVs have a sharpness control. It adds an artificial edge to objects on screen to fool the eye into believing there is more detail in the signal. You will often see it as a “Readybrek” type halo around people. Reducing the sharpness will take away the halo. Beware, on some TVs/projectors the minimum sharpness setting equals no edge enhancement, whilst on others the mid point is no enhancement, reducing further makes the picture fuzzy.

Colour is subjective, but try to avoid having brightly coloured objects fluorescing.

Test discs such as AVIA and Video Essentials can teach you how to recognise the symptoms of poor set up. With a little practise and a suitable film clip it becomes easy to improve the performance of most displays.

Hope this helps

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

Amazon.com

15. peopleIknow

peopleIknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks to Chris & Nic for your postings, now to order the disc and set my Sanyo up.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Looking at Chris's post and mine, I think Chris should take all the thanks. I was in a hurry!

17. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Nic, you're too kind. Thank you.

For those looking for set-up discs, I buy almost all my discs from dvd box office. Their web address is http:\\www.dvdboxoffice.com

AVIA Guide to Home Theatre is about £34 inc postage.

Video Essentials is about £36

My favourite is AVIA, but both discs will teach you a lot about picture and sound set up.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk