1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV30,Tosh MT1 & Chicken wire

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calibos, Jun 20, 2001.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am planning to get a projector when finances allow but am leaning towards higher res panel projectors such as the Sony 10HT/11HT,Sanyo PLV60 because of the aformentioned 'chicken wire'. I cannot demo either projector properly anywhere within 100 miles of my home and don't have the time to travel farther afield. I did however get to see a PLV30 in an A/v section of a department store projecting onto a frosted glass partition.(they didn't sell projectors-it was just for 'show')I couldn't really judge picture quality under these circumstances obviously but from where I was standing which appoximated to my probable home viewing distance, I could easily make out the panel structure and found it very distracting. Is this something you don't see when the projector is set up properly at home? or do you sit far enough away not to see it? or do you just not notice it anymore?

If I found that the chickenwire was not visible under normal conditions then I would definately think seriously about one of these projectors as by all accounts they seem to offer tremendous value for money and I could probably afford to get one a lot sooner then if I waited to save enough for one of the more expensive projectors

[ 20-06-2001: Message edited by: calibos ]

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    The "Chicken Wire" thing you are seeing may be due to several things. It's most probably not the pixel structure that used to be obvious on lower resolution projectors with larger gaps between their pixels.

It could be down to the poor quality of input signal combined with the wrong set up and connections causing many other video artifacts which could give a similar result.

I would suggest that if it's possible you get a dem in a real room with a real screen fed from a decent source. You may still see pixel structure but if you do it will be greatly diminished from what you appear to be experiencing.

Gordon

3. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sanyo PLV-30 projecting onto a 2m by 1.5m screen and sit 3m from it. When I first got it I didn't notice the chicken wire, but after about a week I did start to notice it at times especially on large areas of white. I adjusted the focus ever so slightly and now I don't see chicken wire at all.

BTW it was only me who noticed the chicken wire - no one else in my house could see it. Similarly, no one noticed when I defocused it slightly either. Also I only saw it when watching TV, never when watching a DVD. Hope this is helpful.