1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV30 owners look in

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Crocodile JD, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a PLV30 and on searching this forum for related topics, have turned up a couple of interesting points:

Apparently early PLV30's had probs with PS including Blue Screen during DVD playback. Anyway later units were supposed to have been sorted. However, I have noticed over several threads that some members, using both Limit and 963 source, stated that their units perform better in interlaced. I was wondering if the PS fix was in fact less than perfect or whether this PJ just doesn't do a good job of handling PS via component?

What results are people getting with their PJs in PS? and how does that compare to results when using a HCPC?

I currently have s-video only and am currently trying to establish the best move for a source upgrade. What's best is it just go for a reasonable component out player like the Tosh 220, Go for a Pal PS player such as the 963 or go for an HCPC

Another issue that came up was the cost and availability of replacement lamps. Is there a danger that we aren't going to be able to get lamps for this PJ before too long?

Has anyone bought a replacement lamp lately and if so where from and at what cost?

Crocodile JD

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to show how asleep i am.... i almost told you not to buy a plv 30..... just as well i had a second read of your post!

Ive tried normal interlaced and hcpc, neither have had any problem due to the projector....... did you try and pm some of those who initially reported poblems?

ad

3. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Buns

No I haven't contacted anyone directly. Some of the threads go back 6 or 8 months I think. Anyway I was hoping to get a wider picture (No pun:D ). Might contact Z??numbers?? he reported very recently that he preferred Interlaced via Limit rather than PS via either Limit or 962 (not 963) I think.

I remember reading your thread on trying to sell your PJ. I was really suprised that it wasn't snapped up. I wish I'd known about this forum before I got mine, I'd have had it no messing at that price, down to £850 was the last I saw. Did you ever sell or can I guess from your foot note? Anyway I'd already got mine by the time you put yours up I think, was that around Sept time?

So where are you at now, is it still PLV30 via HCPC?

Crocodile JD

4. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi Crocodile

I have the PLV30 and the Limit. Also have 962sa Pal progressive from China and Sony 7700

The PLV30 is a good projector and can match most of the LCD projectors on the market so don't worry about it being a wrong projector. I also have an AE100 that I use for travelling and I like the picture from both projectors as much

You have to feed it the best signal possible as you are now thinking

Svideo is not the best, you loose some definition in picture simply in the cable! Component feed is the best to the projector as it gives a higher detail signal

The progessive is better. It makes the whole image in one go and shoots it at the projector, as opposed to line by line which is the interlaced mode. Whilst it builds up the image it corrects things like jagged lines etc

The HTPC ( home theater PC ) does the same as progressive, building the whole image up and then sending it

I tried the HTPC route but some of the DVD players give just as a good a picture so I have gone the DVD player route

SO if looking for a DVD player you need component first and then progressive PAL second

The market has the Philips 963, Arcam DV88+ and the Limit now. I think things are going to hot up this year with Sony and others entering the PAL progressive fray. Alot of people have been waiting a long time for PAL progressive to become legal and now its here

I have the Limit as it was only 200 pounds and read people saying WOW about the picture it gives to the PLV30. I can say that it does give a very good picture that you will not be disappointed with. And compared to other DVD players in interlaced mode you will be very happy with the picture improvement

The Limit is peculiar and is the first time I have seen this because its interlaced mode is nearly as good as its progressive mode. I don't know why as it goes against all the theories, but it is!

It is good for me that the interlaced mode is good as now using this mode I have noticed my colours are alot more vibrant compared to progressive modes I have used in the past

If you have a spare 200 pounds I would recommend to try the Limit. Be careful and when you get it home try and test it extensively. There is a quality issue in some models are not reliable. Watch a number of movies all the way through

I know it sounds daft to recommend a player that has batch quality issues but you can buy it, try it and if you see problems Richer Sounds will take it back without a problem

If you get a good one like I have then you will have improved your picture alot

By the way the early progressive problem with the Sanyo was reported with an ISCAN pro and high white images made the Sanyo go blue. The ISCAN was fixed to handle it

As to the light bulb availability I have not heard of this. It would surprise me if its true

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I actually ended up offering it at £800 including postage, but no one seemed interested....... i just wasnt willing to lose any more money than that so i've still got it. To be honest, for the hassle of getting something else, i dont know i could be bothered selling for under a grand now!

I am using hcpc, but if you loko in that forum, you will notice that my pc is being very very bad and is liable to be getting made into a mug holder very soon!

ad

6. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Bulbs for the plv30 is around £350.

7. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    z5461313
    I might be getting confused , I've read so many threads lately, but the preference for Interlaced over PS seems to be a PLV30 thing. E.G. timoth999 (if that isn't you under a different handle?) comes to exacly the same conclusion having used exactly the same kit! See below :eek:

timoth999 From the "Limit 9900SE - Best Budget Player"
    That's you isn't it? I'm sure I've seen others as well though. I haven't got any real hang ups with the PJ. I did make the mistake recently of comparing it to my flatscreen TV which prompted me into playing around with the image settings quite a lot. I did hit on a setting that yielded the best picture to date. However, in order to get a further improvement, in light of what you are saying, I think the question still remains: Do I just go with a component out player and forget the PS?

BTW when I was tweaking the image settings the Tint function was greyed out and I couldn't adjust it. Is that because it's not available when feeding s-video or should I be able to get into it?

Buns
    I agree....unless you are going to move out of the budget end all together it would be a waste of money. No point in chopping in a decent budget LCD PJ for another and shell out a few hundred quid for the privilege. It doesn't get any better mind you. I saw a new AE100 for under a grand! £995inc VAT on Komplett.co.uk the other day.

Geoffc10
    Thanks...I'll check it out.

Crocodile JD

8. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi Crocodile

Yes that was also my post - same person

Component is not enough with the PLV30 my experience has told me

For example my Philips and Sony DVD players feeding component interlaced signal did not give as good a picture as I have seen with the PLV30. Quite the opposite with occasional scenes looking quite bad

You have to feed PAL progressive component into it which gives a much more detailed and stable picture - much like your CRT television you will think then

But the Limit is different because its component interlaced mode is as good as its component progressive mode. You have to see it for yourself

The Philips component interlaced mode is bad and the Sonys also ( compared to the best I have seen )

Detail is things like street scenes or scenes that try to show alot of things going on at the same time - not close ups of faces as these always look ok. Stability means the image is rock solid, something you don't get with interlaced as it is constantly feeding in the picture line by line to make a frame, as opposed to frame by frame

I am very interested in you trying a component progressive input or the Limits component interlaced mode to see what differences you see. Hopefully you will think it is closer to your television

9. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    z5461313

I've just ordered some bits to make a connection from my PC sound card (SB Live 5.1) to my AV amp. The PC isn't a great spec. especially in HCPC terms but it might give me some idea. I've been seriuosly thinking of going down this route and putting together a dedicated HCPC. Shame I don't know anyone with PS player to make a comparison with. Maybe I ought to go for the Limit from RS on the basis that, from what everyone says, I could take it back no hassle if I get a problem one?

Geoffc10

Silly me, I thought the address in your footer was the site selling bulbs:clown: Where do you get them from?

Can anyone help me with this: Tint function under Image setting, is greyed out and I can't adjust it. Is that because it's not available when feeding s-video (being only chrominance and luminance, is that right?) or should I be able to get into it?

Crocodile JD

10. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sure you can get them from owl video systems.

11. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi Crocodile

The HTPC will show you a good picture so you can get an idea of what the projector is capable of

Good luck

12. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Tint is the same as Hue, and it is used to correct the colour on NTSC signals. It is available when the projector is decoding the colour signal. This should only happen when the signal is fed in via composite (yellow phono) or S-Video (4 pin mini din) connectors. A Component (3 x phonos) signal already has the colour information decoded, so doesn't need Tint to correct any colour imbalances.

You may also find that the colour control is disabled with RGB and Component signals. The same reason applies. The colour is set at a reference level so further decoding and adjustment isn't required. However, there are some manufacturers who provide colour adjustment with RGB & Component.

Hope this helps. :)

Regards

13. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crocodile,

All I want to say it...The PLV-30 and Limit 9900SE is a fantastic combination. I think as Dimitris has explained, the 'Interlaced' is better is a specific Limit thing and not an PLV-30 thing. Although I do not agree with that. I think the combination of PAL PS is absolutely superb.

I haven't got a HTPC and have never tried it.

The Sanyo PAL PS and NTSC PS look absolutely fantastic, you will be amazed. Yes it may only have a 4:3 LCD display panel, however it is also of the true 800x600 variant which means it can really display ALL of the PAL PS lines unlike some of the other budget projectors that have to scale.

I am using mine on a 8FT screen and it looks smashing, really good. They are really cheap now compared to when I bought it, but you won't regret it.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

14. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi Chris Frost

In fact when I bought my PLV30, Chris Frost was there at the time also. The PLV30 was just coming out and Chris had one of the first demo units. This was in the Manchester Trafford center

Chris do you remember

It cost 2500 pounds then but I am still happy with it now

15. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    That must have been at Dimma.com They did home theatre audio and also in-car installations too.

I remember being very impressed by the PLV30 when it came out. It gave the £4.5K Davis Cinema One a "right good kickin' " to use the words of one dealer who saw it at the time.

The picture still holds up very well by today's standards. I recall watching The Patriot with a PLV30 and iScan and thinking "I could live with this".

I don't remember being introduced to anyone called z5461313 ;) but I'm glad you're still enjoying your projector. :D

Best regards

16. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Chris Frost

Thanks for the reply on the "Tint" issue. I am using S-video connection (for now) but Pal only so far. So really, you only get that option in either composite or s-vid and only with NTSC is that right?

BTW Chris 'Z' has other guises you know (see earlier in this thread;) )

dejongj

I had been following your original thread on the Limit, with great interest, for some time. Thanks for the encouragment

Z

I got mine from 7oaks August last year £1500 with a 10m s-vid cable thrown in. I saw recently that they are now selling it at just under £1200. I've watched so many more films than ever before since having it. I love it, but not as much as some people on other threads love theirs! :D (If you've seen it you'll know ;) )

Crocodile JD

17. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi Chris

Yes it was Dimma, you remember. I think you have a different job now

The PLV30 made a splash as it had component input, good blacks and was only the size of a shoe box. It beat the Toshiba for contrast and detail and was only half the price of the next best LCD projector being the Sony VPLWH10HT which was 5000 pounds then

18. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yep, that's right. Hue is just for NTSC and then only when connecting via composite and S-Video.

PAL doesn't need a Hue correction. The broadcast standard for PAL includes something to keep the colour phases correct (hence PAL - Phase Alternate Line) unlike the American format sometimes referred to as Never Twice the Same Colour ;)

Regards