1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo plv30 fan noise

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ricky27, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Hi all,well ive had this PJ for months now and really am so impressed by the picture quality from component,very sharp and natural with great colours,just watched Lord of the Rings last night and that had a 3D look to it.

I was thinking about how loud it is though,and did think the fan noise is just too loud for comfort,so i made a mock up hush box from a thick carboard box to see if it would be worth the hassle of making a decent box,i simply made holes either side to allow air in and a large hole on the exhaust side.

The noise was almost halved,much better,especially during quiet scenes,PJ has been on hours and no more heat build up than normal.

Is there anyway for me to reduce the noise further,replacement fans etc?or would a proper hush box eliminate the noise?

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    meeeeeee tooooooooo

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I put mine in a cupboard!

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I shall try the fridge then.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i doubt your missus would appreciate a hole in her fridge door! More importantly, nor would your beer! :D

to the actual question.... i found that the fan is too loud to hide totally. Even with the machine in the cupboard, it then gives off a lower pitched noise which is alot quieter, but not silen by any stretch! If you could get a proper hush box made, with the fan section isolated from the lisening area, then you would have as good a solution as i can see easily possible.

Ad

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Ah, but at least I could finally answer that age old question.......................when you close the door, does the light stay on ?

See your point about the hush box, sort of silencer for the fan input, must be someone who knows how to construct one, after all I have seen this applied to an RB211 jet engine at a gas compressor station.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A silencer on your projector........ that sounds really quite menacing! But it should be easily possible! I think i'll wven have a toy with the idea when i get all my cables made up!

ad

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Yep, some sort of baffle arrangement with sound deadening properties, probably make a fortune selling them to this group as long as they dont look like yoshimura carbon end cans.

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    One other thought, how about a wave cancelation device. You know one sound out of phase with the other, play the inverse sound of the fan from a small speaker close to the projector.

Hell I have limitless ideas for things like this, Im just too lazy to bother trying them out otherwise I would probably be riding balloons into the upper atmosphere on world record attempts.

Still, I can dream.:cool:

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wave canellation device! wow! you really did have a good night didnt you! :D

It might be cheaper to buy a quieter projector!

Ad

11. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Who has been using my name..............I never wrote any of that.................oh yeah, its all coming back to me (all coming back to me now.....faster than the speed of light by Mary Tyler Moor ).

Im sure sony had one out a short time ago, portable thing, you just put the headphones on and it left you in relative peace.

Must be a standard circuit around somewhere.