Sanyo PLV30 aging gives colour cast?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pootle, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had a PLV30 for over a year now, and its done around 3000 hours, (and the new bulb at 2000 was a nasty surprise - 250 quid - in yours dreams, more like 400) and I have a large area of the screen that is taking on a slowly increasing yellow cast that I first noticed around 1500 hours.

It covers a roughly circular area in the centre 1/3 of the screen, and is just about the colour of a tobacco Cokin Filter (sort of smokey yellow to the non-photgraphic nuts). It's nothing to do with pixels, and started as a barely noticeable cast only visible when the screen was showing flat white or grey, now it's becoming more noticeable. Its as if there is something deposited on the optics somehwere. No-one in the house smokes, changing the bulb made no difference at all, and I've checked and cleaned all the accessble parts, including inside the lamp housing.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I noticed something very similar on my machine in the bottom right hand corner, very faint. This only happened using the component inputs with an older Pioneer DVD player. I first thought it was dust, but on s-video with my sony player it is not there. I put it down to the player?
    Mark

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    This could be caused by some heat build-up on the UV filter. I have seen other LCD projectors with this problem, it is sometimes caused by restricted air flow from clogged filtes or being put some place where the hot air can't escape.

The remedy is to replace the UV filter and sort out the cooling problem.

This may be what's happening with your projector, but is is certainly worth investigating. Speak to your dealer for a list of Sanyos service agents.

Regards