1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-Z3

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by EnglishJohn, Apr 4, 2005.

1. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sanyo PLV-Z3, who has one, whos looked at one and what do you think. Why did you buy it or why didnt you buy it!!

I would love to no, the projecter seems to press all the correct buttons and looks like it could be a better choice than the 4805.

I will use it mainly for dvds and (sky)sporting events, but also xbox and my laptop for some bigsceen needforspeed!

I have 11" between were im gonna sit and the screen, thought about a 6" do you think that will be ok or do you think i could even get a 7" in there?

If you have some pictures of it working someone i would love to see them. Details, seem to be a bit far and between compared to some projectors on here.

Cheers guys, John :)

2. Seanshadyuk

Seanshadyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah i'm also looking to buy one of these next week and finding it very hard ot find pics or honest reviews not magazine reviews lol

3. r-06264

r-06264

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I recently purchased one (through a forum sponser) and I'm extremely happy with it!! Going to be hooking it up to my HTPC which I just put together, just waiting on the ATI HDTV adapter to come from the States. The picture quality is just superb with component cables from my DVD player. I immediately followed R0ne's 100hr settings when I got it on Fri and found the contrast to be exceptional. I have read that the blacks on the pj is not very good but I don't know if I have a magical Z3 or what but every disc I stuck in the blacks were BLACK! Maybe it's Mark Grant's special cable LOL If you decide to buy one you definitely won't be sorry... it's quiet, no vb, NO RAINBOWS, looks good and just perfect for my needs. Good luck in finding a demo though... I couldn't!

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,486
  5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    It is indeed a very good projector.
    Pos.: Blacks are good, contrast is very good for LCD. Image quality for sharpness, from a PC @720p (bypassing the scaler) is excellent. It will refresh at 50Hz and 60 Hz from a pc. I've had no joy with 48 or 72 hz for NTSC (tearing and judder at these rates). Very good connectivity. Good lense shift. Very very quiet. Tidy projector with handy flap to cover front of projector. Only very slight vertical banding.

Neg.: Obviously, as with all LCDs (except maybe the HS50) blacks are quite a bit off being black. No thread at lense if you want to use a filter.
    On both Z3s I have used, I could not get perfect uniform focus over the full screen. This may be due to the lense shift (i haven't investigated this) It is only noticable on the desktop not while viewing movies. At times I have noticed screen door sitting 13 feet from a seven foot screen, (slight defocus solves this). Picture quality from a progressive scan DVD using component wasn't quite sharp enough for my liking. Picture quality from a PC is night and day better than from a PS DVD player (IMHO as many will disagree). And, as mentioned above, very slight vertical banding.

Overall, I'm very happy with this projector, but as with all pjs (this stuff is so subjective) a demo is really recommended

Conor

6. r-06264

r-06264

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cine4home.de got 1460:1 contrast with a red filter on the Z3 :smashin:
    http://www.cine4home.de/Tuning/Z3/Z3Tuning.htm (as always will need a translator)

7. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

I'll give you my impressions/review of what I've got. Hope it helps.

I bought my Z3 blind and without having any demo's of any other projectors. I was originally going for a plasma but decided the cost, image size, fear of burn etc... was too much grief.

It has a good warranty, decent price and generally had good reviews/writeups from forums so I decided the 'risk' was fine and at worst I'd take the hit and sell it on.

As soon as it arrived stuck a piece of painted MDF on a chair in the kitchen and hooked it up to a Panasonic E95 DVD recorder and had a play. WOW is the only thing I can say. T2 Special Edition looked great!

So moving on my father made an MDF fixed screen (58" diagnol) and we set the PJ up on a shelf. I have the following connected to it.
    Denon 3910 (running 720p), Denon 3805, Panasonic E95 DVD Recorder (purely to get some TV pictures on it), and PS2/Xbox/Gamecube.

Return of the King on DVD looks awesome via HDMI.
    PC using my VGA output was great - World Of Warcraft was great and also supports widescreen resolutions.
    PS2 - I bought a component lead from LikSang and PS2 looks great (GT4 rocks) but the only thing I've noticed is that it seems to have a border round the games unlike the Xbox.
    Xbox - Looked great with component lead (a little less bright when I tried via Svideo cable), I have a chipped one so have also been running the old emulators up! :clap:
    Gamecube - Seemed fine - amp upconverting to component of course.

TV picture considering its analogue from a looped RF feed looked pretty good. My Sky looped from downstairs wasn't as good (but its not as good on CRT either - compromises :)) but tbh I expect a grainy picture. Other owners might be able to advise on TV picture direct from Sky/Sky+ or a digibox rather than my poor analogue.

With the curtains drawn during daytime (some light leaks in) the picture isn't so bad (watchable definately).

Running full lamp its quiet. Running half lamp you can't tell its on.

Remote is okay - Functional. I'm going to transfer the commands hopefully onto my Denon's remote.

Comes with a little 'puffer' which you use to clean dust out of projector. There are small plastic bungs underneath.

As mentioned has a flap which you can close to keep the dust out when not in use.

The only thing to be careful of is this PJ is its short throw so even with min zoom at 8-9ft the image I'm running is the bare minimum!

And just to add I haven't changed any settings on anything yet either.

There may well be other PJ's out there similar or better but having trawled forums for ages the Z3's only issue with people seemed to be firmware and sometimes HDMI issues whereas the AE700 (the other one I considered at this price point) seemed to have vertical banding issues.

Overall I don't regret one bit buying it and the way I see it is even though lamp costs are high I can use 2 or 3 lamps and chuck it for the next greatest replacement in xx years time. I've only used it sparingly at the moment as a 'treat' though seeing the old Mame / C64 emulator on the big screen is quite cool :cool:

Sorry for the long post :D

8. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks very much guys for all the feed back, im sure im gonna have one just got to make the female understand why its a must, she wants is a smaller tv!! as in 28", she allready thinks the 36" is to big!

Just out of interest im gonna be running rgb from sky and compo from dvd and xbox these are conected to the tv at the moment. should i use a converter for sky to get comp or feed it in via vga-rgb?
    And then my question is can you get a box of tricks wich enables me to have a 3:2 input/output so both the tv and projector can be plugged in at the same time?

I hope this makes sense!
    John

9. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is one of the reasons why a PJ is such a good compromise in my house. I can stick with my 4:3 Sony TV which I love and is very Wife friendly, and get a stealth PJ for proper viewing!