1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV Z3 or...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jonan73, Feb 24, 2005.

1. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I need a new projector as the lamp of my 6 years old one is dead and I don't think it's worth investing ina new lamp :(
    I can have the Sanyo Z3 for 1'050 £, which seems to be a really good price for me...
    Is there another model in the same quality/price range you could recommend? I have a Denon 3805 as an amplifier, so either DVI or HDMI would be good. Only regret with the Z3: it doesn't have DVI input, so I can't plug it directly to my Apple G4 Powerbook :(
    Thanks in advance for any recommendation...
    Usage is 80% home cinema, 20% laptop (Apple Alubook 1.67 Ghz, 128Mbb RAM Graphic card)
    Take care,
    Johann

2. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but it there a signal or resolution loss during conversion?
    Also, is there another recommended projector in the same price range?
    Thanks again :)
    Johann

4. Gadgets Master

Gadgets Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also looking at the Z3 (first projector). Who is selling them at £1050 ? :lease:

Cheers

5. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's no loss at all. hdmi, as I understand it, is just DVI + digital audio with a more consumer friendly connector.

More info here:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/howto-dvi-hdmi.html

6. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting answer, although being a on technician, I understand that maybe it will work, but it's not sure... mh... :(

For the Z3, I live in Switzerland... We have a VAT rate of 7.6% that does make quite a bit of a difference: see there:
    http://www.toppreise.ch/prod_50517.html
    With today's exchange rate, it makes 1'070 £. This shop also told me price would drop a bit in March :)

7. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon you can even use a HDMI-DVI adaptor - there is no visible signal loss even when connected over a 10m cable on my z3 to my htpc - the picture is PERFECT. I have a spare adaptor for sale right now in the forums classifieds section and you can also find them on ebay. regards :)

8. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks...
    So there is no other model within the same price range having similar specs?
    When I pay a bit more than 1000£, I like to choose between 2-3 models... UNless this one is really "the best" ?

9. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon, i think the AE700 and Z3 are probably as good as each other in terms of image and features with some minor differences. I would recommend you read their user manuals. Personally I got the Z3 because a friend was happy with his Z1 for years and because it was cheaper and because the menus could be changed to English (bought it in japan). Regards

10. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks...
    AE700 is a little less than 1000£ (= about 100£ cheaper), but i like the look of the Z3 better... Sounds silly no? ;)

11. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very sensible to get the cheapest one! personally i say read the manuals which are on the net as you may see something about the PJ which affects your decision. if you think your setup is going to involve lens shift, the Z3 has better shift facilities and also a dust blower system that AFAIK the AE700 doesnt have. what are the cheapest prices for each right now and who from? i ummed and aahed for 2.5 years but am very satisfied with getting a new japanese Z3 for £800! :D :rotfl: :thumbsup:

12. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Won't the Z3 give a sharper display (if you like that) due to it having a normal lens.
    As opposed to the Pannie 700 which has that lens smoothing thing which is supposed to blur the image a little.

I've not seen the 700 myself so don't know if you can actualy notice the blurring.

13. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Japanese one for 800£ ?
    Ordered on the web or bringing it in from there?
    If on the web, do you have a link?
    Johann

14. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I've got the Ae500 with the smooth screen technology and I haven't noticed any blurring, just an excellent sharp picture with no screen door effect.

15. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    I've never seen one in the flesh, I can only go by what I have read in that smoothscreen was supposed to be like mild de-focussing.

That's what people were saying when it 1st came out, and I'd need to see say a Z3 and AE700 side by side to know if this was the case.

Perhaps someone else can say if the Z3 looks sharper (and of course more screendoor) as it does not have the smooth screen technology.

16. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi off www.kakaku.com then went to the store in japan personally on a holiday. ^__^
    so wheres the cheapest you have seen - post here maybe someone knows somewhere cheaper for either z3 or ae700
    you could try www.pricejapan.com for the z3 and you might get lucky with customs (do not get the japanese ae700 - cant switch to english).