1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-Z3 or Optoma H31

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hddvd, Sep 4, 2005.

1. hddvd

hddvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking into buying a projector buy im stuck between two choices. The Sanyo PLV-Z3 and the Optoma H31. I was wondering which one of these you guys think is the best for watching HD Material and DVD movies, and which projector produces the best looking picture quality. Thanks for all of your help.

P.S.- What about the Sanyo PLV-Z4?

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Well it's 720p LCD vs 480p DLP - both have their pros and cons but in reality only you can decide which you prefer. If you haven't seen examples of either and cannot demo them, then you may be better to play safe and go with the Z3, esp at the prices you can get this at the moment (c£800).

The Z4 will presumably be a bit better than the Z3 - however no-one's seen one yet I don't think, as they haven't been launched yet!

3. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If rainbows bother you get the Z3, if they don't buy the Optoma H31 (30A). I've got the Optoma H31 and the picture is totally amazing. The Z3 is HD ready but the Optoma is HD compatible which means you will get a much impr :) oved picture from an HD source although not pure HD perforamce.

4. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Only the Sanyo Z3 is a native 720P projector. With the H31 you'll just be watching HD material scaled down to 480P. i.e not High definition at all.

For viewing DVDs there are many people that reckon the H31 throws a better picture than the Z3. That is debatle of course but the superior contrast of the H31 more than makes up for the lack of resolution.

The Z3 is great value at the moment and you can't really go wrong with it. If you're willing to spend £500 more then that opens up the possibility of the new LCDs shipping at the end of the year, Panny 900, Z4, Epson 600, Hitachi tx200.... Sony HS60(Still unconfirmed but probably early 2006).

Plus don't forget the native HD 720P DLP, BenQ 7700 at around £1500.

Zag