Sanyo PLV-Z3 or Infocus Screenplay 7205?

kevin glover

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just about to take delivery of a shiny new Arcam DV29 and Sony PS3 for my home cinema. I currently have a Sanyo PLV-Z3 and have seen the infocus 7205 for sale secondhand, would I see any improvement in PQ when connected to my new sources, what is the throw distance like compared to my Sanyo and how does fan noise compare?. HELP!!!

I too have been looking at 7205's second hand...I also looked at a 7210, this has dlp 3 chip so is a lot more expensive than the 7205 second hand, one just sold on that famous auction site for 770 plus fifty quid postage i think!....

To be honest, for me, at the sort of prices a 7205 will go for second hand, I've come to the conclusion that you'd be better off going for something like the Sanyo Z5 brand new.

I say this because:

The 7205 and 7210 have quite a restrictive zoom so the placement of the PJ in relation to the screen is crucial.
I already have a ceiling mount and screen in place so I'd rather not move them.
Models like the Sanyo Z5 and the Hitachi tx300 they have a much more adjustable zoom, 2x on the sanyo, 1.7x on the hitachi, so the PJ's distance from screen falls within a much wider range making placement within an existing screen\mount setup more flexible.
I missed out on a second hand IN76 recently, but after looking at it in more depth for me the zoom isnt very flexi on that neither....

I already have an infocus DLP PJ and I sometimes see a little bit of rainbow effect, so the LCD of the Z5 will sort that out for me.

Youd get a full maufacturers warranty (3yrs on the Z5, 2 on the tx300 i believe)

I guess I could go on and on re the differences for me but it's horses for courses, each person makes their own specific choices..

Think about this, minimum of £550 for a 2nd hand 7205 and approx £700 for a new Z5, an extra 150 I know but you get warranty, higher contrast ratio and lumens than preceeding models, brand new lamp that you know the history on...etc....

I'm probably going to buy a Z5 next week that I got quoted £710 on delivered.

I already have a PS3, Tosh HD-E1 and am routing it all thru an Onkyo 674, so I guess my setup is similar to yours in terms of sources...

Good luck in your quest,

I have experience of using both these projectors.

You'd see a very significant improvement in picture quality, placement is nowhere near as flexible as the Z3 (no lens shift), and the 7205 would be distinctly louder than the Z3.

It's really a matter of what importance you place on picture quality - if you're willing to put up with a projector which you will be able to hear during quiet bits in movies and make a bit of an effort when mounting the projector (assuming that it will suit you own polace in terms of throw distance, check it out on the Infocus site or proejctorcentral.com), then the improvement in picture quality is well worth it - no picture structure, screendoor, perfectly uniform colour, better optics and DCDI picture processing. It's in the colour accuracy stakes that the 7205 will beat the pants off the Z3.

S.

How about if you compared the 7205, which is an older DLP to something like a Z5 which is the latest in the Z series....as opposed to the Z3

:D

How about if you compared the 7205, which is an older DLP to something like a Z5 which is the latest in the Z series....as opposed to the Z3

I was answering the OP's question between the Z3 and 7205.

TBH, if it was a choice between the Z5 and the 7205, I'd take the 7205. I'd prefer the picture performance and would be guaranteed no issue with picture structure, LCD artifacts, or colour uniformity, which is often exacerbated by iris mechanisms. I also reckon that a 7205/7210 is built to a far higher standard than LCD projectors in the Z3/4/5 etc class.

You've already made a comparison and came to your own conclusion - it's really a matter of personal preference.

S.

Thanks for the info so far guys, any ideas on what my used Z3 is worth these days, box, manual etc in mint condition and about 200 Hrs on the bulb?

In comparing the 7205 to the Z3, what was the original purchase price of each, at the time? Were they in about the same price class?

Now really, the picture on the Z3 cant be that bad right? Possible issues with picture structure, artifacts, uniformity all make it sound really bad........

Aye, like it's mentioned in the for sale thread on the 7205, the Z3 on the well known auction site will be a good indicator of 2nd hand value.....on a bad day I'd guess at less than 200 quid - on a good day 300...

In comparing the 7205 to the Z3, what was the original purchase price of each, at the time? Were they in about the same price class?

Now really, the picture on the Z3 cant be that bad right? Possible issues with picture structure, artifacts, uniformity all make it sound really bad........

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I didn't say that the picture from the Z3 was bad - it doesn't have a bad picture at all. I had one for well over a year and was very pleased with it - it was practically silent in use, was a doddle to set up, and with a bit of tweaking it threw a fine image.

There is a difference between expressing an opinion on one projector in isolation and making a comparison between two projectors. The price of either of them at the time is neither here nor there - my opinion is based on the essential qualities of the projectors - one is noisy by comparison to the other and is more difficult to locate than the other, but, in my opinion, throws a better picture.

If you can find any reviews (or opinions) describing a DLP DC2 projector as having a picture which is inferior to a D4 or D5 LCD projector, I'd be interested in reading them.

S.

Thanks for the info/opinions guy's. The seller has agreed to do a home demo of his 7205 and my Z3 on Tuesday so I guess I will find out for myself. My biggest worry is fan noise. I will be mounting the projector on a bracket directly above my seating position, any idea the db difference between the 7205 and the Z3?

Thanks for the info/opinions guy's. The seller has agreed to do a home demo of his 7205 and my Z3 on Tuesday so I guess I will find out for myself. My biggest worry is fan noise. I will be mounting the projector on a bracket directly above my seating position, any idea the db difference between the 7205 and the Z3?

I may be interested in the Z3 if you do put it up for sale.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I didn't say that the picture from the Z3 was bad - it doesn't have a bad picture at all. I had one for well over a year and was very pleased with it - it was practically silent in use, was a doddle to set up, and with a bit of tweaking it threw a fine image.

There is a difference between expressing an opinion on one projector in isolation and making a comparison between two projectors. The price of either of them at the time is neither here nor there - my opinion is based on the essential qualities of the projectors - one is noisy by comparison to the other and is more difficult to locate than the other, but, in my opinion, throws a better picture.

If you can find any reviews (or opinions) describing a DLP DC2 projector as having a picture which is inferior to a D4 or D5 LCD projector, I'd be interested in reading them.

S.

Think I'll just get my coat and leave.

Well, if anyone's interested my Optoma H79 is for sale :) .

Yes, it's quite a bit more pricewise than what's mentioned here, but it gives some of the best DLP pictures unless spending considerably more.

It is about the quietest projector around, and has vertical lens shift for easy install. Contrast on this is eye popping. I'm only trying to sell so I can go 1080p.

I updated to this from a 7205 just over a year ago ;) . The extra contrast and the DC3 chip certainly put it way ahead of the 7205.

See signature for thread.

Thnks,

T.

ps. Still has 21 months "hot swap" warranty.

I may be interested in the Z3 if you do put it up for sale.
Ok Baloo, will bear it in mind. I have seen a couple go in the last 2 months for £400ish and one has just gone on that famous auction site for £445 delivered.

Ok Baloo, will bear it in mind. I have seen a couple go in the last 2 months for £400ish and one has just gone on that famous auction site for £445 delivered.

Turned down a Z4 with a bulb voucher for 430 so if your looking for more than 300 then I'm out. Nice projector but very much older technology and it would only be a stop gap for me. If you price it reasonably then I would be very interested but otherwise, good luck.

Well, if anyone's interested my Optoma H79 is for sale :) .

Yes, it's quite a bit more pricewise than what's mentioned here, but it gives some of the best DLP pictures unless spending considerably more.

It is about the quietest projector around, and has vertical lens shift for easy install. Contrast on this is eye popping. I'm only trying to sell so I can go 1080p.

I updated to this from a 7205 just over a year ago ;) . The extra contrast and the DC3 chip certainly put it way ahead of the 7205.

See signature for thread.

Thnks,

T.

ps. Still has 21 months "hot swap" warranty.

Nice PJ and tempting but my budget lies at 750 so yours is sadly out of my range, good luck though :thumbsup:

Turned down a Z4 with a bulb voucher for 430 so if your looking for more than 300 then I'm out. Nice projector but very much older technology and it would only be a stop gap for me. If you price it reasonably then I would be very interested but otherwise, good luck.
Well ,I'll see what happens on Tuesday and we might be able to have a deal if I buy the 7205.

DarrenB

Think I'll just get my coat and leave.

Hopefully not............ reading back over my last post it's a bit abrupt, just trying to explain why I came to the conclusion originally posted in answer ot the OP - no offence intended, I assure you :) .

Kevin,

Great opportunity to get a 1:1 comparison against a prospective "next projector" - hope you get a good result.

S.

I'll be interested to hear of the difference. I'm debating whether to get a new Panny AX100E or a second hand DLP such as a 7205 or Optoma H79.

Worried about rainbows though with DLP's, and even if I'm not susceptible, then my family or friends might be.

Well guys,I had my demo tonight of the Screnplay 7205 alongside my Sanyo PLV-Z3 and ended up walking away feeling graet about my Z3, no doubt that the contrast was enhanced with the 7205 and skin tones were slightly better, however for image clarity and structure (despite what most reviews say) the Z3 looked better in my opinion hence I am not swapping.
Danny, who's 7205 I was looking at was impressed by the Z3 too, surprisingly so I think. I and Danny imagined there would be a big step up in PQ from the Z3 but in my opinion any gains I saw were marred by a grainer image when compared to the Sanyo.
Has got me keen to see what a Z5 looks like now, also danny told me he had found a UK supplier doing the new 1080p panny under 2k!!. I do love this home cinema business but one thing always leads to another,,, usually a row with the missus about me "wasting" money on new kit!!.
Thanks for your help guys and good luck in your quests for your next projector.

Kevin,

Surprised at that, but glad that you're happy with the outcome......

S.

Kevin....I would be very interested for a Panny 1000 @ 2K..any idea where from?

Danny, who's 7205 I was looking at was impressed by the Z3 too, surprisingly so I think. I and Danny imagined there would be a big step up in PQ from the Z3 but in my opinion any gains I saw were marred by a grainer image when compared to the Sanyo.
Has got me keen to see what a Z5 looks like now,

Well there you go.....I demo'd a Z5 and have bought one this week, will be setting it up this weekend, so you're welcome to come around and see it in action.

Incedentally, was Danny's room completely blacked out? I have a dedicated cinema built in my loft, four large Velux windows fitted with Velux blackout blinds - makes it perfect for Projector viewing, even during the day so i guess I'm lucky in having the right conditions to get the most out of the Z5.

Only issue I have now, in the Summer, it with heat output!

Kevin....I would be very interested for a Panny 1000 @ 2K..any idea where from?
Not sure where he ha s sen it at under 2k, Amazon were doing it at £1899 but I think they put the price up recently. Danny's handle on here is "oaklyspatz", drop him a PM and mention that I posted it on thi sthread, he seems a decent chap so I feel sure he will share the info with you.

Kevin,

Surprised at that, but glad that you're happy with the outcome......

S.
I too was surprised, based on reviews and comments on this site, however as you well know it is down to the eyes at the end of the day.
I think the 7205 is a good projector, worth £5k new?, no way IMHO but at £1200 at the end of it's life it was a good deal, half that secondhand now and anyone getting one would be happy I'm sure as it does boast excellent contrast and fine skin tone reproduction, however for me it is a little grainy and struggled with upscaled DVD's at 1080i far more than my Z3 which is surprising given the chipset in the 7205, however I think some of this is down to what the player is doing as well and in this instance average cableing in my opinion... Bottom line is that there was not anough improvement in PQ to warrant the additional outlay when new projectors such as the Z5 and a few DLP machines can be hand for a few quid more. also 1080p for less than 2k is tempting!!

Well there you go.....I demo'd a Z5 and have bought one this week, will be setting it up this weekend, so you're welcome to come around and see it in action.

Incedentally, was Danny's room completely blacked out? I have a dedicated cinema built in my loft, four large Velux windows fitted with Velux blackout blinds - makes it perfect for Projector viewing, even during the day so i guess I'm lucky in having the right conditions to get the most out of the Z5.

Only issue I have now, in the Summer, it with heat output!
Cheers Darren, hope it all goes well for you. I would love to pop over and see it in action, where are you based and what sources will you be using with the Z5?, also how mucgh did you pay and what was the best price you found for just the projector (without lamp voucher).
Danny was using his projectoe shelf mounted above the sofa in his front room on to a screen with a 92" diagonal at a distance of about 2.5-3 metres I reckon, a tough test for any projector as IMHO that is right on the cusp of seeing PQ structure from any projector!, I did the demo at about half 8ish so it was dark outside but essentially it's Danny's front room.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom