1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-Z3. Is Y-Cr-Cb input (VGA socket) comp. with Y-Pr-Pb (DVD player)?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DavidPeat, Oct 20, 2005.

1. DavidPeat

DavidPeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Folks

I notice that the PLV-Z3 manual shows the VGA input accepting signals Y-Cr-Cb on pins 2,1 and 3.

My DVD player has component Y-Pr-Pb outputs.

My existing cabling is a VGA-VGA wire (source is DVD -> ProV via S-video).

I want to use the component video source but re-use the VGA cable. Can anyone tell me if the Y-Cr-Cb input on the VGA socket on the Sanyo is compatible with the Y-Pr-Pb output from the DVD player?

If it is, it will save me having to buy the required RCA-HD15 convertor at one end of the cable.

Cheers
    David

2. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    it is compatible...the only difference being that Y-Cr-Cb usually denotes interlaced component while Pr Pb denote progressive...if however the Sanyo PJ can only take interlaced (it will blank the display probably when fed a progressive signal) just switch the player to interlaced component and you should be all set...only i don't understabd what kind of cable you have...S-video is not component and I would assume that you'll need to get a proper component-to-VGA component wire...

3. DavidPeat

DavidPeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Kalos

The source is S-Video to the ProV (a TV-Tuner/box and 'supposed' de-interlacer). The ProV output is VGA, so my 15m cable run (behind walls and under floors - hence the wish to re-use it!) from the ProV to the projector is a VGA cable. The idea is to bin the ProV (never did like it!) and feed component directly from the DVD player to the projector.

I understand that I need to buy a VGA HD15 to component 3xRCA 'breakout' adapter at each end. I have sourced these (InFocus do one) but they are the wrong gender at both ends so I would also need 3 RCA gender changers and a VGA gender changer.

So, if the VGA input on the Z3 will take the component signals then it would save me having to use the breakout connector and gender changes at both ends of the cable (I would just need them at the DVD player).

Anyone know where I could find a breakout connector of the correct gender (without having to pay a fortune for it)?
    Female VGA HD15 to 3 x RCA Male
    (I can find ones the other way round no trouble.)
    I may be forced to vist Maplin and DIY

Cheers
    David

4. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    YCbCr should be used for digital signals and YPbPr for analogue. To quote from the BBC document that I have in front of me at work:

Analogue Component Y, Pb, Pr:- P{b/Pr @ 70mV p-p & c 2Mhz
    Digital Video uses Y, Cb, Cr:- Cb/Cr @ 70mV p-p & at 3MHz b/w

Also see the page on YUV at answers.com

I have noticed that some dvd players and displays mislabel their component inputs/outputs as YCbCr. This, I believe, is incorrect and they really mean YPbPr.

5. flyboy98

flyboy98
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am sure you will have sorted this by now - did you get it to work because I don't seem to be able to get it to work

6. DavidPeat

DavidPeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi flyboy38

I don't think this does work - in the end I went for the Component to Component route by making up two short adapter cables for either end (female vga to 3xmale RCA and some thin co-ax cable from Maplins) to allow my VGA cable to carry the composite signal.

Total cost was well under a tenner and even with my soldering skills it only took me about an hour and a half.

I was amazed at the difference - the old Pro-V was adding a huge amount of noise and scanning line interference - whether this was a conflict with the scaling in the PLV-Z4 or not I don't know but I was less than impressed with the Z4 until I made this change.

Plus my source is a DVD-Recorder now so it also has the TV tuner built in.

Cheers
    David