1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-Z2 XBox & Toshiba SD-330

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jomppa, Jan 3, 2004.

1. jomppa

jomppa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been using my Sanyp PLV-Z2 quite a lot (especially on Xbox Live!) over th past week or so and it is exceptional!

I have have, however, found some anomolies. I have basically set up the machine as is, sitting on a book-case at the back of the room, with a white wall in a dedicated room and connected my UK Digibox, US NTSC Xbox and UK Multiregion (Amazon) Toshiba SD-330E DVD player.

When using it with the Toshiba I use a 10m component lead and generally the picture is very clear with no pixels visible (I sit 3+ metres back and have a 3m diagonal picture). The Tosh plays all DVDs (music & film) but in 2 there is no apparent output (as I get a blue screen on the Sanyo). Is this a known problem or a dodgy DVD. The DVDs which do this are:
    - Kevin & Perry Go Large
    - Pirates of the Caribbean (2 disk version)
    On Pirates, it plays the intro (which is an ad. for God Almighty) OK, but when it comes to start the main menu screen just afterwards, that's it, no picture! I can see that the movie is playing and I can hear it but no picture is shown by the Pj. which says No Input.

The US Xbox I have, uses an S-Video output (or a component output which I see very little difference). I can see some pixelation with either lead especially when playing games such as FIFA 2003 or Mech Assault when a bright explosion occurs. Is it because it is NTSC?

Finally when I hear people saying they have a setup DVD which sets up the Projector for the best output, how does that work? I only have a stereo sound setup at the moment, which is fine, but the picture is the main thing an if I can improve it in some way I will try.

I am however totally happy with the Sanyo as the movie or playing experience is awesome!

2. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this is the same problem, but I get intermittent problems where my Z2 can't seem to lock on to the signal from my SD-330. If I change the picture mode on the DVD player (it's the setting with options like Normal, Movie1, Movie2 etc.) it seems to fix it for the remainder of the DVD. It doesn't matter which setting I'm on to begin with, it just needs changing to something different.

It would be nice to know if that's a general problem with this model of Tosh player...

3. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same problem with my SD330.

Toshiba are swapping it tomorrow... but after reading this I don't think a new one will make any difference.

I've tried the player using component through my Tosh TV and it works fine. Maybe it's an incompatibility between the Z2 and the Tosh.

:)

Doc.

4. jomppa

jomppa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks ... I tried another DVD today - Attack of the Clones and the same thing happened.

I hooked up a TV to the SCART at the same time and viewed both. Blade worked exactly correctly with both showing all the DVD menus and then the movie ... Attack of the clones worked correctly on the TV BUT NOT the Z2 component output.

I use Component (and the DVD player is Amazon's multiregion) which is 10m long .. but it plays other movies and music DVDs perfectly.

I wonder if there is a fix or patch .. :rolleyes:

One weird thing .. the first time I tried the AotC movie (which is Region 2) the scene selection menu was horizontal and really made like that with drawings behind the menu and a little Star Wars critter running across the screen when I selected a something etc.

When I tried the disk a second time the scene selection was vertical (ie 1-3 4-7 etc down the right hand side with a completely different selection picture) ?!?
    :confused:

5. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got corrupt pictures also (a bit like when your tv doesn't support a 60hz signal).

I tried my Davs550 DVD via component (interlaced and progressive) and it was perfect with every disc.

I'll be buying a new player. Seems like my Z2 and the Tosh don't get on !

:)

Doc.