1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-Z2 Wall Mirror Kit

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jonathans, Jan 15, 2004.

1. jonathans

jonathans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'm wanting to buy either the PLV-Z2 or the panny ae500... WAIT! This isn't to ask your opinion on those - I've already checked the posts and other reviews and would probably be happy with either... no, my question is more about a very specfic optional extra indicated on the plv-z2.

In an online brochure (Select "Options List" and the item is shown near the bottom of the page) they show a wall mounting mirror kit, so instead of putting projector on some great crane device or suspended from your ceiling you can create a lovely slimline effect and even box it in with a thin cabinet - fantastic!

I've included a tiny image to show you what I mean.

However, two points before I reach for my wallet:

1) Is there likely to be any adverse effect of boxing the projector in (I could leave the top open for air circulation and the plv-z2 side vents anyway, so surely this is better than putting a panny back against a wall on a shelf?)?

2) Does anyone know where I can buy this? I originally saw the item talked about on Purple Cat but they've since removed all reference to it. I've tried everywhere I can think of and no-one seems to know anything about it! It's got a product code: POL-CH-EX01 but no-one (not even the sanyo people I've emailed!) has a clue what I'm talking about! Any ideas?

Jonathan

Attached Files:

2. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    jonathans,

Sorry I can't help on any of the questions regarding the wall mounting kit (seen in brochure), but as a Z2 owner I did play around with the idea of using on the wall kit. So if you do find any info i would be interested.

As for boxing-in the Z2 I would need to know more specific's but if it is what I am thinking then i would advise against it as the projector does run hot.

So if you get any info drop us a line.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'm not so sure that Sanyo UK are going to be importing these for sale in the UK (typical!). But if you hassle enough dealers who in turn hassle their Sanyo reps (as I have just done!!!) then they might be tempted to add it to the line-up. You never know, they might already be planning on it but they didn't even know what the scart adaptor (POA-SCART) was last time round!

Please note that your throw distance will be shorter with the wall kit, so you'll need a really short room or a massive screen ;)

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe it would be worth contacting a smaller mount manufacturer (like LMP) and seeing of they would be interested in prototyping something that could be generic across projectors. (ie just having a baseplate that makes it model specific.

It may e worthwhile starting a thread to see how many other people for all projectors wouldbe interested, then you could use that as a reason for a manufacturer to make the effort

5. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be worth searching the web to see if you can get it from Germany etc.

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sanyo have a couple of these mounts on the way over which they are reviewing to see if they want to go ahead and import. Not sure if they will or not, I can't imagine that many people wanting a projector sticking out of their wall!!!!!

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    .... This is a decent idea, but it's only a runner if the projector doesn't exhaust warm air out from the back........ You'd need to check Mfacturers recommendations in the manual about mounting vertically - most have some recommended max elevation (if you know what I mean...) Throw distance matching to room size would also be a critical issue, but it could be a very neat solution for some.......

Cool.

Sean G.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it seems worldwide these things are of difficulty to get, a guy on avs was looking one but the only place between us that we ever saw them was purplecat.

Liam,
    Are YOU getting the couple of review samples? If so could I put this guy from AVS in touch with you?

thanks

ad

9. jonathans

jonathans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, found out a bit more detail, which is that Sanyo look to be bringing them out in the UK "sometime in February". No price as yet, so if I find out more then this will follow.

Liam... true, but I think more people might be willing to have a projector if they can close it off in a discreet and (crucially) slimline way. Not that many people probably like having a shelf on the back wall with 18" clearance behind it for venting either :)
    Also, if you know where the samples are coming from then let me know please!

theritz... thanks. Had thought about venting (should be ok for the Z2, especially as it doesn't vent to the rear) but not about the max elevation. Again, if they're selling it specifically for this model then you'd hope they'd have thought it through, but who knows!

Have done more searching on the web but again have only seen it on the two places listed on Google, neither of which sell it.

10. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Could always pop down to B&Q and get some wood, metal brackets and a Mirror.... ! Job Done :)

Seriously though, everyone goes on and on about heat buildup etc, what about venting the heat OUT ?
    Can you put ducting Anywhere ?

My Pannie AE200 exhausts it's heat from the rear (People have said must allow 18" gap) didn't fancy that, so I have a venting system in place, and the back of the pannie is just 6cm from the rear wall. and I bet it runs a LOT cooler than most others machines, as I have it suspended almost in mid air, with no shelf fixed underneath OR ontop of it. Plus I am sucking air OUT away from it's exhaust far far stronger than it can pump it out, so it will never heat the room up be recirculating it's own heat.

11. jonathans

jonathans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much volume does the venting system make? Do you have the pump/fan itself away somewhere so you don't hear it?

My basic issue is that I have a nice brass light in the middle of the room, so ceiling mounting is out unless I want shadows across the screen! As wife is happy for me to do this as long as I don't spoil the aesthetics of the room I'm limited to wall mounting. To minimise the effect of a huge wall mounted cupboard, I like the idea of the mirror kit. Tru, could just buy a mirror but I have no idea to what tolerances these things are made and when you're payin to get a great big image the last thing you want is a hall of mirrors effect!

Re: Heat build up I genuinely don't think this will be an issue anyway, duct or not. The projector cupboard will be open when running and it will probably have more vent space before it hits a surface than most shelf mounted projectors.

12. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Depending what fan you buy, but mine is about the same noise level as the projector. It's just the wind/sucking noise.

It's the same noise level as the projector, it's just slightly different. I could have gone for a slower (quieter) model but I always have to get the biggest :)

I'm using 4"x2" white oblong duct, into the loft, then into 4" dia for 3 metres then into the loft mounted inline fan.

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It is Sanyo UK not me that gets the samples :(

Also, keeping these mirror based projection systems clean is an absolute nightmare!!!

14. sainthalo

sainthalo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PLEASE PROVIDE SOME PICTURES!:smashin:

15. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Will do sainthalo I promise.....
    In a bit of a mess at mo as rebuilding my PC and it's being a PIG at the moment.... esp the dual monitor issues.
    Will get photo's asap.