Sanyo PLV-Z2 to PLV-70?

boothy69666

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Im having to replace my Sanyo Z2 due to a seemingly mystery problem. The picture has gone dark despite the bulb having used less than 150 hours eco mode :-(

I havent much of a budget, possibly bout £100-£150, and am looking for a widescreen native 720p projector. Iv spotted a Sanyo PLV-70 multiverse but have no idea if its a step up or down??

Any help would be lovely!!! :lease:

Sanyo PLV-70 review | Projectors Reviews | TechRadar

Not really a step up more a sideways one, it was more a data pj than a true home cinema one.It is a 2005 model year so almost as old as your Z2.

I would really be tempted to get something newer such as an Optoma DLP machine it would still be 720p but should be more of a step up from what you have now.

Look for HD7600x/HD67/HD65 these go for around £150-250.

I've had both and in my opinion the PLV 70 is a step up in a some ways. It's significantly brighter and reveals more shadow details (and more details in general). It is a bit noisier though as it needs to run the fan harder to keep the lamp cool.

I personally enjoyed the 70 more than the Z2, but if you can get a more modern projector it might be a better option. Are you sensitive to the rainbow effect on DLPs? If not KB's suggestion is good. I am so have always had to stick with LCD. The PLV 70 was pretty popular in its day with people who like a bright picture (if you are fighting a bit of ambient light or just like the pop of more lumens). Good luck.

First thing - do you realise just how big the PLV-70 is? It is huge! It's also very noisy and has an absolutely pitiful contrast ratio.

I'd look at something half that age at the most. Check out the classified ads here. You should be able to pick up a Sanyo PLV-Z4 or PLV-Z5 for not a great deal more than you were planning on spending on the PLV-70.

Cheers for all the help. I might wait a while then and see if I can pick something up a bit newer. Doesnt seem to be anything around at the minute.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom