1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-Z1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by c9656750, Mar 10, 2003.

1. c9656750

c9656750

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just brought a Z1 a few weeks ago, approx 11 hours on the clock, but have noticed a green "highlight" area top left (about 1/3 accross the screen). This is only noticeable on dark scenes. When I completley defocus pj one way, i can see about 10 green spots in a semicircle in this area, but they each have halos, like car headlights at night, also there are about 7 others dotted randomly across the screen, mostly green, but a few blue.

If i focus the other way they dissapear, and one more green on appears in a different place.

Are these dead pixels, i didnt think they were, as it is impossible to focus them to a sharp point, and all but the semicircle of green ones are invisible during normal viewing?

The semicircle also extends above the actual projected area slightly

any ideas anyone?

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    It sounds like dust to me, but then I don't know loads about projectors, just a newbie.

Rob

3. c9656750

c9656750

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I thought, but at 11 hours? . is that normal, cause its pretty bad really...

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    it is dust , i am sure i read quite a few people have found dust in their z1 when they are brand new. i would contact your supplier and get a replacement. Dust is aproblem will lcd projectors but it should not be a problem after only 11 hours use, i have had to remove dust from my optics of my ptae and the first time i had to do this was after 1000 hours use.

5. c9656750

c9656750

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now sent this back to the supplier - who passed it to their repair company - who passed it to sanyo - who say it is "contaminated". whatever that means. Thing is they have now had it for two weeks, and havent even looked at it yet (apparently).

I know it is an RTB warranty, but the darn thing is only 2 and a half months old with 15 hours on the clock.

Is this the level of customer support I should be expecting here in the UK, cause in the USA sanyo offer a 72 hour collect and return service....

It aint good enough -
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. hopdylan

hopdylan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi c9656750,

Just sent my Sanyo Z1 back to Nexnix today, it's about 2 months old and has the same problem - a green 'splodge' on the screen, took the picture out of focus and it looks like a bit of dirt :(

Hope they don't muck me about as much as they have with you already :mad:

Dylan

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can you not just open it up and spray compressed air at the panels? Surely you don't have to send it back to Sanyo just for a little dust?

Dunc

8. hopdylan

hopdylan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I could do that .... but if I mess it up for some reason i'll have voided the warranty and be a bit screwed :(

Don't fancy taking that sort of risk when it's still quite new :)

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I have read that the Sanyo Z1 is prone to dust due to the manual lens shift option.
    Access to the lamp is slightly open compared to other PJ's due to the movement required by the shift. Air is getting sucked in here.

However, apparently, Sanyo are now aware of this and newer models of the Z1 support some sort of filter behind the lens shift.

Read on http://www.avsforum.com/

How can you clean the dust from the optics, and where can you buy a can of air from in the UK...B&Q, Focus et al ??

CB.

10. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Local camera shop for air in a can :)

Be careful to follow the instructions carefully to avoid spraying propellant into your projector ;)

-- Jon