1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-Z1 v Panasonic AE300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by citrac, Aug 5, 2003.

1. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Sorry I'm new to this forum thing in general and also home cinema. Any avice on lowish cost projector. I read good thins about these two. How noisy does 28dB feel in reality?

Thanks

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Almost impossible to state in words. You'll have to listen to one (or both) as it will depend on the surroundings, materials in room, how far from your seating position, your hearing acuity etc.

Probably about the same as a standard PC but they all vary also. The only thing I can say is that 28dB is at the very lower end of noise level as far as pjs go and having listened to both they are very very quiet (Z1 in low brightness mode only). Both are great pjs for the money but if you can stretch a bit more have a look at the HS10 from RobertWhyte for £1400. Noisier but a big leap in image quality/specs.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    Of the 2 though, I'd definately go with the PTAE300. Improved picture quality (less screendoor) and a quieter fan. Nuff said.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just goes to show how it's a personal decision - I'd go with the Z1 above the AE300.

I'd live (if forced, @ gunpoint :D ) with the Z1's screendoor before I'd accept the softening on the AE300.

AE300 is practically silent in operation though - a big :smashin: for many I'd assume.

5. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all contributors so far. I will try to arrange auditions over the next few weeks. (I have plenty of time to think it all through as I am currently at the start of an extension project which will house the projector). Any ideas for audition places in Glasgow? Forgot to mention I have a loan of Philips Blue 2 or similar name that I think is really for presentations but it looks good to my untutored eye with movies, even projected onto a textured wallpaper wall that isnt even white.

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Having had both projectors in my possession over the last couple at months I can state that both are great ‘budget’ units. The Z1 has a superb picture with great punch; however finding a good one can be tricky as I ended up having three different units, all with different faults. Another problem that this unit has are non-uniform picture with one side of the screen appearing very red whilst the other can appear very blue/green. This may be inherent to LCD technology. It is a very quiet unit and the lens shift facility can really help the set up. I was never bothered by the screen door but I sit about 12 ½ feet away from my screen and a slight defocus will help as others have said.

I now own the AE300. It’s a superb projector. Yes the smooth screen technology works, I keep the focus bang on and screen door is not an issue. I have not noticed a ‘soft’ picture, just a great one. It’s a near silent runner and it’s marginally quieter than the Z1. Cant really comment on how well saturated the colours are as I dont know how to as to be honest I just turn it on and watch it…..it looks pretty good to me.

Personally, I do not think that there is that much difference between the two. However, I did prefer the cinema mode on the Sanyo as the panny has about 6 different picture options like normal, film 1, film 2 and so on. Due to this I sometimes find myself flicking through each option wondering which is most accurate !!!!

Hope this helps in some way. Oh, and follow up Messiahs HS10 referral. It’s a lovely projector and one I wish I could have afforded a couple of months ago:(

Cap.

7. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Messiah,

The price of HS10 is £2000 at Robert Whyte's website, so that is quite a heap up in terms of spending.

Citrac
    Altough I love my Z1 (so far fault free) with the unique lens shift operation and very good picture, my room is a bit small so unless I make the picture a touch soft, I can see the Screendoor effect.
    And it has no scart and dvi inputs.

I would today buy an AE300 due to the smoothscreen technology, scart and dvi inputs and it is even a touch smaller and lighter than Z1.

In terms of noise, a shuttle pc is quieter than the projector, I hope this gives a guidance.

Wasabi

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I think Messiah was referring to the graded stock option available at £1400.00.

Nice deal. Assuming its ok, which it should be.

Say, anyone wanna buy my Panny off me. Good runner, one careful owner, kept inside overnight blah, blah, blah.

I rekon £1400.00 sounds about right..ohh what a coincedence :)

Cap.

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Citrac

Robert Whyte's are in Glasgow so if I were you I'd get round there and snap a HS10 out of their hands while they still got them :smashin:

Wasabi

If you dig a little deeper intop their graded section you will find the HS10 for £1400 as I originally specified :(

10. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cheers.

Although I don't have any experience on the HS10 and the specs are impressive and many owners are delighted over it, projectorcentral still thinks that AE300 gives a better overall performance than HS10. See this link http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_pt_l300u.htm

And here is the paragraph.

PT-L300U vs. Sony HS10: At the moment, there is at least a $500 difference in street price between these two units. At first glance the Sony would appear to win on specs alone—higher resolution, higher lumen rating, HDCP compatible, etc. Is the $500+ premium you'll pay for the HS10 worth it? Honestly, we would be hesitant to say so. The L300U is a much stronger overall performer than we expected to see.

First, the L300U and the HS10 are equal in terms of pixelation/screendoor, which is to say neither of them has a problem with it. In rolling credits you can barely detect some pixel structure from a normal viewing distance if you have great vision. So the higher resolution (1365x768) panels that you'd think would give the HS10 an edge in this regard do not in fact do so.

Second, even though the HS10 is rated at 1000 ANSI lumens to the L300U's 800, after calibration and the addition of the cinema filter on the HS10, the lumen output of these two machines is basically equal. There are differences that will vary based upon how you tweak them, but for all practical purposes they produce the same amount of light. Thus there is no comparative edge in brightness either.

In terms of HDTV, the HS10's ability to take HDTV via DVI with HDCP compatibility makes it a stellar performer with a clean crisp picture that is compromised only slightly by the need to scale it to 1365x768. The L300U must take the HDTV signal via an analog input. However, it gains an edge by rendering the HD signal more precisely into its ¼ HD format. The end of the story is that HDTV resolution on both of these machines is terrific, and neither has an advantage over the other.

Meanwhile, the L300U outperforms the HS10 in several key areas. Contrast and shadow detail are visibly better on the L300U. This by itself will tip the choice for most buyers toward the L300U. In addition, those sensitive to fan noise will definitely prefer the quiet L300U over the somewhat less than quiet HS10. And the 5000-hour life on the L300U compares favorably to the 3000 hours you may get on the HS10. For frequent users, this could save some extra cash down the line.

There are other differences but they get lost in the tall weeds. The L300U has an edge in color decoding, and the Sony has an edge in brightness uniformity, although the differences in both of these areas are subtle. We are now down to irrelevancies in the overall scheme of things.

The bottom line is that the Panasonic PT-L300U, primarily due to distinct advantages in contrast, shadow detail, fan noise, and perhaps lamp life, is in our estimation the stronger performer overall of the two machines.

Wasabi

11. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    If I was buying again I'd definitely consider the Z1 again :) I think I've seen it for £975 so there's a big price difference between the projectors mentioned. For £1,500 I think you could get a Z1 and Iscan Ultra.

dvi input would be good.

I personnally would be concerned with the reliability of the panny...the ae100 was renounded for breaking down. Not sure if the ae300 is better.

I've never had a problem with my Z1. Although I've found out you can't use the VGA input for films as it doesn't cope with panning.. drops frames. ae100 has same problem not sure about ae300.

I think you've narrowed down a few projectors. I'd go it a shop that sells both and demo them. Take along your dvd player and you can be sure what you see is what you're going to get.

12. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Of course demoing is very important if that is possible.

Regarding the VGA input on the Z1, I use it often with my DVD player which has a VGA output and it works fine, I have also used the DVD player on my laptop and it also works fine.

However I am not sure whether I would agre with JUS about reliability of the new Pannys. AE100 was slated for reliability, but I haven't read much about reliability issues on this or US avsforum. I am sure many AE300 owners here can confirm this.

Regarding prices. Citrac either you goe for a internet retailer that is known to give a superb service (nexnix, av-sales, discounttv) and offers excellent advice and dead pixel checks and the price might be a bit higher or try to play with the price beats a bit.

Obs, the 975 is without VAT from nexnix but see below.

If Sanyo Z1 is the preferred choice then the price at nexnix.co.uk is £1120 delivered (£945 without VAT and delivery). With this price you could take it to empiredirect.co.uk (I know there are many different opinions about them) as they have a price beat of 120%, and their price is £1490, price difference of £380x1.3=£456, £1490-£456=Total price of £1046 which is very low indeed.

For the AE300, then go2camcorder is selling it for £1385 incl del, while empire is selling it for 1680 incl del, so the price difference is
    £295x1.2=£354, £1680-£354=Total price of £1326 again it is a very good price.

All in all there is at lowest a difference of £320. This could be a lot of money if budget is tight, as you need cables and eventual screen unless you use the wall or do a DIY screen. Also if you haven't bought your sound system then there is obviously a big cost there.

Citrac, what is your rest of set up for your home cinema?

Wasabi

13. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    AE300...Going OK.

My dealer seems to think that the problems of the AE100 are a thing of the past when it comes to the 300.
    I understand that the 100 can be considered as a 'pilot' projector for Panasonic and they have learnt from their mistakes.

I would suggest that in two years, Panasonic projectors will be fantastic. But then, my 300 already is !!

Cap:)

14. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Wasabi,

I didn't mean the ae300 had dodgy reliability. When I was looking for my proj the ae300 was just going to be released. I decided not to even demo it based on all the problems people were having with the ae100. Just to be safe. It's 10 months on now and the ae300 may not have any problems at all. I just wanted to say it should be considered and investigated. I'm sure a quick search would show all.

That's interesting what you say about VGA. There are a number of people raising this issue with Sanyo...Theres a thread about it somewhere here. Someone with a ae100 reported the problem also. It's a little hard to spot but once you see it it's everywhere. Best scene I've seen to check is LOTR. Just before Gandalf knocks on Bilbos door you get a pan of Hobitron. The Panning isn't smooth at all. Its perfect with a component feed but vga is pants.

Jus

citrac, happy demoing and buying. Nothing better than the smell of some new kit :)

15. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Jus,

You are absolutely right that, when it came out, there were big question marks over the reliability and yes if he would do some search on his own then he would find the results.

Also thanks for the tip, I shall look at LOTR scene, as I haven't really looked thoroughly, just generally.

Wasabi

16. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Saying that, across the sea over at avsforums, there are quite a few discussions taking place about panel misalignment on the Panny 300.

Mine doesnt appear to have it and if it does it is only minimal as I cant detect it with my humble eye.

Is this something caused in shipping though or a poorly built machine?

Cap:)