Sanyo PLV-Z1 thoughts

meva

Established Member
Reaction score
I got to see a PLV-Z1 today, as I so recently had the NEC HT-1000 in my possesion I thought I would post some thoughts/ comparisons.
This is a nice little projector !!! I had about a 35 minute play with it . I was sitting generally about 10 feet away from a 70 inch wide screen. Input was component dvd interlaced only.
Contrast was pretty good, it didn't have the gorgeous depth of contrast of the NEC but was pretty acceptable, better than any lcd I've seen before.Colour was good, reds maybe not quite as rich as the NEC but definately not orange.
Brightness and sharpness I would consider to be about the same as the HT1000 i.e good. The de-interlacing/scaling looked good too, no obvious artefacts.
I'm not particularly bothered by screendoor, but at the distance I was sitting it was pretty negligible.
The unit I saw had no dead/stuck pixels.
Most importantly ( for me anyway!! ) it had no tearing on Pal sources and no rainbows ! ( obviously ).
Is the Ht-1000 worth 2.5x as much ?? Well, if you have the money and NEC sort out the pal tearing ( and you don't get rainbowitis ) probably yes.
Is the NEC 2.5x as good , in my opinion, no.

i also had a look at one today at my local av store and was very impressed with what i saw.the source was a meridian dvd player running s-video no progressive or other stuff used.the picture quality was very good on the seven foot screen they were showing it on and i had to be very close to notice the screen door effect.the black levels seemed good although it was a near dark room and the colours looked very good too.
might pay them another visit tomorrow to see about their intrest free credit option..........................
stay tuned for a more indepth review.....:D

I have just received my PLV-Z1. Well it’s great but frustrating. The colour, black level and noise levels trounce my existing Sony VPL-CS2, BUT this projector has a seriously short throw. I need to change my room around to accommodate the short throw and/or consider ceiling mounting the projector. Does anyone have experience of ceiling mounting a projector, I have a high ceiling with no access from above and I would like to hide the cables in the ceiling. Can it be done without mess and redecoration?

On the projector itself I will try to post a more detail review when I get chance to set it up properly and watch some DVD's.

Bye the way I am using a HCPC/HTPC setup and have managed to get 1+1 pixel mapping using powerstrip and Li On settings as posted on the AVSForum.

Link below if required.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=192281

Bye for now

Paul

i am hoping to buy one next week so if you can tear yourself away for 10 minutes!:D it would be great to get some feed back from you before i take the plunge!
ta.

Originally posted by R32
meva,
Where did you get your Z1 from?
I didn't say I'd bought one, I said I'd seen one. The one I saw came from
www.bestpricetv.com
as I said on another thread I was v.happy with the customer service I got from www.projected.co.uk so if I get one it will probably be from there ( although they are a bit dearer )
Interestingly enough i threw my Pioneer 737 in a bag today to try out progressive component on the Z1. The picture was wonderful
BUT there were some faint but fat horizontal bands on the left side of the picture. They only stretched about an 1/8th of the way across but were a little distracting. They weren't there on an interlaced component or s-video feed, weird?!.
It could be my Pioneer or the Z1??? Anyone else noticed anything else like this??

At this price it looks interesting, anyone know of any comparisons with a PTAE-300?

Very Short update.

I got mine from www.projected.co.uk and they were very helpful and efficent. I am running mine using a HTPC With Geforce 3 card and PowerStrip settings off avsforum.com. This working OK except I need to play around with PowerStrip as this currently chops off about 10 pixels from the right of the Computer desktop.

Image quality looks fine at the moment but needs some improvement. The faults are all down to me though and listed below.

Screen 150cm wide and of poor/cheap quality with a very slight grain to the surface.

Seeting 220cm from the screen, this is a bit to close and will be resolved when I replace the screen with a smaller 120cm and better quality screen and move my room around so the projector sits in front of me on a table and I can move back about 80cm from the screen. Some of this caused by the short throw of this projector.

I also need to get hold a decent calibration DVD.

When I completed the above I will produce a proper review.

Bye for now

Paul

yes!!!
i could'nt wait and have just run out and brought one!
happy dayz!
:D

Well I couldn't resist, I've ordered mine today:D

I ordered a graphite black one, for £1298 inc VAT and delivery....and this includes a DEAD PIXEL CHECK!!:D

In short, I've stated that I don't want a unit with a single dead pixel and they said "fine".

:D :D

Will be a day delayed though, and I had to pay £10 extra, but yup, they're doing it for me:D

Originally posted by Smurfin
Well I couldn't resist, I've ordered mine today:D

I ordered a graphite black one, for £1298 inc VAT and delivery....and this includes a DEAD PIXEL CHECK!!:D

In short, I've stated that I don't want a unit with a single dead pixel and they said "fine".

:D :D

Will be a day delayed though, and I had to pay £10 extra, but yup, they're doing it for me:D

Can I be the first to ask where from?

www.nexnix.co.uk

Speak to Lucy and she'll sort you out (with a projector that is).

They have them in a choice of blue or black, overnight delivery is £10 and they will charge you £10 for the units from their supplier to be sent to them for a check before it comes to you.

Smurfin do you know if these have the new firmware that sort out the fan noise problem that early units have been having?

No idea, sorry. Will let you know if mine starts to sound like it's on a runway approaching take-off speed;)

Should have it on Thursday...

Hi,

I bought mine from nexnix.co.uk for £1275, plus I paid £15 for same day delivery. Mine has never switched into high fan noise mode and I have it running every evening for a few hours, it is just so watchable with the lights on...

Nick.

Mine should be arriving in 30 mins:D

How does it compare with your last PJ. Whats the lamp life and can I come over and see it!!!!! I'll bring my PS2 to play Pro Evo 2 It's awsome on a big screen!!!!:cool:

The PLV is stunning imho, PAL and NTSC progressive absolutely rock.

Blows my old DLP away, although black levels aren't as good. will post a full review over the weekend.

Jason, you're welcome to come over, wouldn't mind that hoya filter back if you're keeping that office DLP.

oh and btw, it will look a little different, tomorrow an 8' 16:9 screen arrives:D :D :D:D

Smurfin,
Please check for any horizontal bands on progressive component.I need to know if my Pioneer 737 is a bit dodgy.
Thanks.

Crisp as a duck wrapped in plum sauce and pancakes:D

No banding whatsoever.

For a DVD player which cost me £50 (skyworth)....the picture is nothing short of stunning:D

So has anyone done any type of comparison between this and the Panasonic AE300? -Even just an on-paper spec comparison perhaps?

It has a short throw? What does that mean in relation to, say, a 15ft distance from the screen?

Also, 2,000hrs for lamp-life is 'ok', but I know from bitter experience with _Sharp_ they can make you pay for a new lamp when the time comes. Any news on lamp price/ availability and whether its easy to fit oneself (and reset the clock).

This does look like a nice projector. I've been licking my lips for weeks at the thought of an AE300 from Japan, but this one seems nice now. :)

-Kevin.

the lamp life is 3000 hours in eco mode, which you'll want to use anyway for the "whisper" quiet fan noise.

15ft from the screen will equate to minimum 8-9ft wide image....it really is THAT short a throw.

Fitting the lamp is easy, unscrew the cover, take out the old and pop in the new:D

hi will the plv-z1 be ok with the philips 963sa pal progressive scan dvd player.

thanks joe.

Should be, runs fine with my Skyworth (PAL and NTSC progressive).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom