Sanyo PLV-Z1: lamp seems already dying after just 300 hrs

C

Captain Pervert

I bought a Sanyo PLV-Z1 in januari 2004. In the summer of 2005 the first lamp went out with a bang, after only 750 hours in eco mode. Since 600 hrs, the light had become noticably dimmer. Since most projector manufacturers have lamps that last at least 2000 hrs, I expected to reach at least that, since I'm only running it in eco mode.

I accepted this as bad luck, and ordered a spare one in august 2005. Now, two years later, the brightness is totally gone after only 300 hrs. Also, there is no visible difference when switching from ecomode to normale mode, other than the fan noise increasing. What the heck is wrong with that thing? I haven't changed parts of the setup (HTPC) since 2005.

A few years back, I read something about a high Sanyo lamp failure rate. Someone posted this was a known problem.

My questions are:

- who can give me details on or experiences with any high Sanyo lamp failure rate, especially the PLV-Z1.
- who knows what else I could do or try, other than ordering another lamp (after 300 hours in eco mode, come on??)
- is it an idea to boy the PLV-Z1x lamp? Apparently the Z1x is a slightly newer version of the Z1. Perhaps these bulbs will last longer? Will it work at all?

I'm really desperate, it's my favourite gadget and I love movies so much...

spooney

Maybe something is wrong with your pj? This seems very unusual unless you have a 'kill-that-lamp' attidute and switch the pj on and off without the cooliong grace period all the time?

Just one thought; Instead of spending money on one lamp after the other consider following. I think 2-3 lamps are equal to a solid 2nd hand pj.
The current model is the Z5 which is more or less equivalent to the Z4. What about considering a new Z5/second hand Z4 one? There is a millennia and 2 generations between your model and the current one. You won't believe the difference in picture quality unless you see it.

C

Captain Pervert

Tempting... Very tempting suggestion. My girlfriend is going to hunt you down for saying that. Hehe. But if I ever want to have enough cash to buy another projector (which will probably be one of my favourite brand, Panasonic), I have to get a decent price for this one.

And in it's current state, it's not likely to sell itself.

spooney

And in it's current state, it's not likely to sell itself.

First of all I am NOT selling mine (best regards to your girl friend) ;)

Secondly: I do not know, if your attempt is reasonable. How much is the lamp? 150-170 quit? Let us assume somebody pays you 300 for the PJ with the new lamp. This will be 130-150 GBP for you at best.
As far as I understood a new Z4/5 will go for around 650 GBP including a spare lamp. A second hand Z4 will be significantly below.
So who will pay 300 for a Z1?

Just a thought of course.

MonkeyBoyMorton

I would never even consider a 2nd hand LCD projector.

From what I've read on here the optics are pretty much on their way out from the heat once you've got through 2 lamps (probably around 2000 hours if lamp changed when it starts to dim). With the Z5 only £630 now with 3 year warranty you'd need to be either very hard up or mad to buy a 2nd hand Z1-4.

I intend to get a Z5, run it for the life of 2 lamps and thern change the projector for a new one (the projector world will hjave moved on a lot by then) I can't imagine it will have much value, probably end up giving it away or scrapping it.

DLPs do seem to fare better over time.

Baloo

Don't let that put you off :nono:

I went for a Z1 from these very same forums years ago and its still in use now on its same lamp! Great buy then and still proving popular when the little ones want to play xbox on 'the big tele'!. Second hand has its advantages. Go for a seller with plenty feedback and someone you can trust after a PM conversation. If in doubt phone them, you can spot the cowboys in minutes. Can't go wrong IMHO if you put the effort in and consequently there are great savings to be had!

I would never even consider a 2nd hand LCD projector.

From what I've read on here the optics are pretty much on their way out from the heat once you've got through 2 lamps (probably around 2000 hours if lamp changed when it starts to dim). With the Z5 only £630 now with 3 year warranty you'd need to be either very hard up or mad to buy a 2nd hand Z1-4.

I intend to get a Z5, run it for the life of 2 lamps and thern change the projector for a new one (the projector world will hjave moved on a lot by then) I can't imagine it will have much value, probably end up giving it away or scrapping it.

DLPs do seem to fare better over time.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom