1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-Z1 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nphnet, Dec 2, 2002.

1. nphnet

nphnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so I decided to plunge for the projector without any first hand experience of seeing it. My decision was based purely on the strengh on reviews from avsforum and it's members.

I must start by thanking nexnix.co.uk. Firstly the service was first class. They couriered the projector to me same day for £1275 incl VAT and just £15 for the delivery which was very impressive.

I ordered for same day delivery a 7ft draper 16:9 screen, and Pro V from av-sales.com and that was delivered same day by taxi!!

Okay so Friday evening I arrive home and have all the bit necessary, after drilling a central heating pipe whilst putting up the screen I eventually managed to get the system setup by midday saturday for some proper testing.

Using the Pro V I am running Tivo/Sky through Composite, and my DVD player via S-Video. My DVD player is from the Ark and is an old Pioneer 515 so I realise there is room for improvement for DVD.

It has been several years since I last owned a projector whilst at university being a Seleco CRT, so I was impressed by the improvement in LCD which seems to have come on in leaps and bounds.

When I first fired up the projector I was really disapointed by the fan noise, it is loud, but after finding the econo mode it really goes whisper silent, for me not an issue as the projector is not situated above my head either.

The picture quality imho is very good, I am projecting a 7ft diagonal image and sitting about 24ft away which means I am not distracted by screendoor. The projector produces a little vertical banding but nothing too distracting, and all in all I thought the contrast and colours were very good. I am yet to calibrate the system correctly using any reference discs so I think there is room for improvement.

The picture from DVD is very impressive, via the Pro V the picture is rock stable with no flickering, I will be interested to hook up a Philips DVD963SA DVD with PAL progressive output and see what difference that makes.

Star Wars II had a very clean picture, and I thought it coped very nicely with panic room considering how dark the film is. Television is very good.

All in all I am very happy with the projector, and find it perfectly watchable in a room with low lighting levels on. I shall try and take some reference photo's in the next couple of days so people can see for themselves the setup and I have. I shall be extremely satisfied when my setup is complete.

Nick.

2. mattij

mattij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you noticed fluctuation in cooling fan speed in eco-mode, like some of the Z1 owners have reported? How is your Z1 installed, ceiling or not?

Thanx,
    matti

3. nphnet

nphnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The projector will ultimately be ceiling mounted, but I have a very large room and the projector is completely free from near objects so this may result in better cooling, I ran the projector most of the weekend and never experienced any fany noise fluctuation. The central heating was on 25 deg as my wife suffers from the cold, so I can't imagine running in warmer conditions personally.

Nick.

4. Mark Ham

Mark Ham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am glad your first impressions are good. Do you know what their dead pixel policy is like, as I would potentially like to invest in this projector.
    Cheers

5. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i have just took the plunge and brought a z1.
    could you tell the difference running it though pro-v?
    ta.

6. nphnet

nphnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pro V was an interesting choice, I do notice a much smoother picture and reduced flicker, but my main reason was convience, I will be using a projector, and LCD monitor for daytime use, this means that all signals can route via the Pro V, and use a switch box for the VGA cable to choose between pj and lcd monitor.

I hope that helps,

Nick.