1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sanyo plv-70

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by simon p, Oct 26, 2002.

1. simon p

simon p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i have been reading these pages for ages for all the info on these machines i got to see the plv 30 in action. which was better than i thought i would get picture wise. so i thought i would go for the plv -70 which seems to best fit my needs. do any of you guys out their have any info on the pj and the best place to buy it in the U.K essex thanks for any help
    keep up the great work
    si

2. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon P
    Welcome to the AVforum
    With regards to your post I'm not shaw if the PLV-70 has been relased in the UK yet, if you want info on this pj check out the avs forum as i've seen a few mini reviews on it there

Hope this is of help

Samir

3. simon p

simon p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi thanks for the welcome
    i will check it out

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Simon,
    Do you have a specific set of requiremments such as picture size and throw distance, range of inputs, quietness, 4:3 or 16:9 panels, desktop or ceiling mounting etc?

Perhaps if you let us know a little more info we could help you decide if the PLV70 meets your needs.

Regards

5. simon p

simon p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi thanks for replying my requirements
    are
    [ 1] a 16.9 is a must as mostly dvds
    2] a good black level as i liked the plv30 a lot better than i was expecting. picture is very important.
    dlp is out
    3] i have about 13 feet to throw 80 -100 dia
    4] low fan level
    5] low maintanance
    these are my main needs .not had a lot of chance to see many makes working
    thanks for any help
    simon

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    In most cases the Sanyo will do though the fan noise isn't as low as some of the other 16:9 projectors in its class.

The contrast is good on paper (900:1) but at 2200 ANSI lumens you might find the image too bright[i/] to watch in a dark room. As soon as you start to add some room light to compensate you will lose the benefit of the high contrast.

The Sony VW11 or 12 will be much quieter although less powerful. It has a short throw lens (13 ft = 120" diagonal 16:9 image)

Regards

7. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simon,

One thing that ruled the plv-70 out for me was the requirement to have a 3 feet (1m) clearance behind the projector for air venting purposes.

Xander

8. simon p

simon p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi thanks to both of you. the 3 feet is a pain i will take a look at the vlp 12 sony or the hs10 when do they come out over here they seem to be saying not so good things about the hs10 and xsander what did you go for in the end
    regards
    simon

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,353
    Simon,

Just curious, why is DLP "out"?

10. simon p

simon p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i had a demo of a simm i found it gave me a very slight pain in the head which the couple of lcds pjs demo's did not.i seem to be going round in circles sony/ sanyo/ pana .any infos on the sonys ? please. so i can move on to the sanyo's again. i read on thread where a guy said he bought his house quicker then he got his pj i think i know how he feels. thank god for this forum
    regards
    simon

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,353
    Simon don't rule out DLPs immediately.

The first time I had a demo (which was a Sim), I too got a headache.

I've been running my DLP PJ for 150 hours now and not a single headache, so don't believe all the talk!

There's some measure of psychology involved in alot of what you hear from people, in fact none of my friends have had problems with viewing DLPs and only one noticed rainbow without me first telling them about it.

You MAY be in the small minority who DOES suffer from DLP headaches, but don't base that on a single demo.

DLPs have alot going for them (imho), they have drawbacks but alot over LCD PJs in other ways.

All I say is, don't discount them based on one experience, you are potentially missing out on some great PJs!

Cheers
    Matt

12. simon p

simon p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi again that sounds good advise cos i was going to check out the nec 1000 when it comes out cos i big movie fan and i am after a film feel to the dvd my be it can still be worth checking out
    all the best
    simon

13. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simon,

I had an AE100 for 3 months that I loved. It had great picture quality. Unfortunately it developed color uniformity (green + red tints) problems and finally the power supply went - I returned it for a refund.

I then got a TW100, but Epson was unable to provide me with a unit without dead/stuck pixels (swapped 3 times without luck) and I gave it back in the end.

My decision now is hinging betw AE300, HS10 and maybe even the Sanyo LP-Z1. At this point I'm still leaning towards the HS10 though.

Im interested in your comment: "...over here they seem to be saying not so good things about the hs10...". Can you please expand on this?

ps. I have a dedicated HT room with a 3m wide (not diagonal) screen.

Xander

14. simon p

simon p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi again i was on the link to check out the mini reviews on the other forum i see some mention of a bug in it. something to do with the lamps thats way so slow release have you any news on this do you know when its due out shame to hear about your pjs i was going for the espon at one time held back for a while
    simon

15. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1st it only has to be placed 0,5 meters from a back wall.

I have made a test run of a new PLV-70 before I make a installation at a friends house tomorrow.

I have seen it on a 450 " screen before and that was awsome. Now I have tried it under more normal circumstances. 100".

The best LCD there is right now!!! And the colour calibration system. If you ever need to use it it´s like they have installed Photoshop into a projector..

16. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anders,

>>1st it only has to be placed 0,5 meters from a back wall.

I've seen it clearly stated in the specs that it needs 3ft clearance. But, I have seen contradicting specs on other pjs before, so you never know...

17. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simon,

>>hi again i was on the link to check out the mini reviews on the other forum i see some mention of a bug in it.

I don't think we have to worry too much about this though. At least Sony pulled it and is fixing the problem. I'm sure it will start shipping in large numbers real soon...

18. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Sanyo technician told me 1,5 feet (0,5 meter) is enough for sufficient cooling.

The manual say "Keep rear grills at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from any object, especially heat sensitive object"

This is probably a precaution so they can´t be held responsible for causing a fire or vapourizing someones beer.
    :)

19. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    It's a good point raised about heat output. Definately worth checking with any single lens projector you intend to ceiling mount.

Heat rises. If it can't escape effectively then the hot air will be recirculated. The projector will be sucking in warm/hot air and this will reduce the cooling efficiency.

Regards

20. simon p

simon p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi to you all
    it looks like the plv70 is worth checking out i did hear talk of pre filters for the 70 any body know about these .plus the hs 10 does anybody know if the hs10 has pro scan fitted plus whats the diff in the sony vpl11 mod to the vpl 12 mod any big changes?
    thanks for all the info
    simon