1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-70

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ian_guinan, Aug 20, 2002.

1. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Someones got to mention it soon so it might as well be me. Causing more than a ripple 'across the water', have a read here;

Official Sanyo PLV-70 thread on AVS

Preview on Projector Central

It's being touted as a 2200 lumen, 3 LCD seperate 1366 x 768 16:9 panels, 900:1 contrast, 2.2kg, low decibel, rival to CRT.

UK price seems to be around £4200 plus VAT and it is allegedly available now. If it lives up to even a fraction of its hyperbole it sounds very interesting indeed.

I'm not usually excited by the picture from LCD but this seems to live up to its promise of better blacks than seen before, without the rainbows of DLP.

I'm concerned by the brightness though? Could it be too bright? I thought secondary reflections from the room were supposed to knock back apparent contrast. At 2200 lumens I may be wearing sunglasses!

So shortlist for my replacement for my 200DM now has to be, in no particular order;

- Sanyo PLV-70 (do Boxlight sell over here?)
    - Toshiba MT8/Infocus
    - new HD2 Sim2 projector or HT300
    - I may go insane and plump for a CRT!

Have fun reading. Certainly a fair bit of infectious enthusiasm for this new machine. Thought I'd start the ball rolling over here too...

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    :D
    must have been asleep for that one....
    anyway..what do you reckon?
    Ian Guinan

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Big step down this, I wouldn't even consider it agianst the Sim2.

The best step next (without going CRT) would be a Sim2 HT300 or Runco VL700 (SP?), both at around £9-10k.

Rik

5. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry..just edited it...I actually typed PLV-30 when I meant PLV-70..I agree that would be a step down (though using a Panny AE100 at the moment and that isn't as much of a drop in quality from the 200DM as you'd imagine).

Anyway..anyone spot anything else I've got wrong or should we have a chat about the PLV-70 now;)

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Well Ric got Runco wrong...it's a CL700 not VL....

Sanyo sounds interesting.

Gordon

7. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What do you reckon about the brightness Gordon. I think I recall at the 'Event' you talking about excessive brightness as being one of the things that went against business projectors for home cinema use due to reflections from the room back to the screen.

I don't think my wife would let me paint the walls black (yet).

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What have the members heard about the Runco CL700?

There seem to be mixed reviews in the U.S.-Certainly Runco`s quoted specs always seem to be somewhat off the mark.

I have also heard that the Marantz vp12s1 is the best current dlp projector-has anyone seen a shootout between the Marantz and the Runco?
    Doug

9. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think lumens is an issue, well for me anyway. After reading so many things about how good black levels are on DLP I was surprised how much they sucked compared to my not so bright LCD projector. Sure I was comparing a few 1200-1500 lumen DLP projectors with my 550 lumen LCD projector but on the DLP's I would say my blacks are 50-70% better on my LCD and the picture is no way dark (50% brightness setting I use). I tend to take things I read on forums with a pinch of salt now, I prefer seeing with my own eyes how projectors perform. I would rate a home theatre projector at about 800 lumens max otherwise the blacks are going to be bad imho...

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I think if you've got a magnolia walled room with a white ceiling then more light output may not be the best solution.

Doug, I haven't seen any write ups on CL700 anywhere. The first prototype was at CEDIAuk. At that timethey were saying they were hoping to have stock for CEDIA USA at end of September but not before.

Not seen Marantz in anger. Should be nice though.

Gordon

11. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do DLP's benefit from a grey screen?, or are there blacks better on a white screen?. I was using a grey screen when I tested out a few DLP's.

I would like to see the PLV70 projecting on to a ICESTORM 2 or 3 screen though...that would be interesting and perhaps the best of both worlds.