1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-60 first review??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Matty N, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Point yer browser to http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bigequipment9.shtml

me hearties, 'tis 'cross the oceans but she be a fine specimen none the less. And for all ye England-lubbers, 'tis the same version over here to be sure.

Arrrrrrr harrrrrrrr [cough] harrrr.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    What a review.... :D I want one.
    Why cant Our good old British Mags write reviews as good as this one, all the tech info you should need, and the inclusion of all the equipment they used to test it with, I've been dropping hints about more info on review's for a couple of weeks now, but no reply so far.

Tim

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I read the review and it was interesting but I don't think it had all the info you need....

Did they put up test patterns to let us know the quality of the colour decoder, whether there's any y/c delay and if it's adjustable from the settings. Did they measure the actual contrast ratio achievable or it's real light output. Or how about how the comb filter works if you feed it a composite signal. How close are Sanyo's chosen red/green/blue co-ordinates to those specified by SMPTE. Is there 3:2 pulldown or are we to assume that it's internal de-interlacing/scaling is the equal of units which can do this trick.

OK I'm being unfair here. Test equipment to measure some of these things accurately isn't available to most folk/ magazines/ web site owners. They do however have a pretty big effect on your perception of picture quality.

I think that the review is well written, entertaining and certainly suggests that you'd want to view the thing for yourself and really see the BIG PICTURE ;)

Gordon

[ 03-06-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

[ 03-06-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I've read a number of other first hand accounts of this projector that paint a different picture. There is also a bit of a ding/dong going on the avscience forum because of who sponsors thebigpicture website. We shall see, but its exciteing times ahead for projectors with more and more players entering the market. Even Yamaha will be releaseing their first projector (DLP) in a month or so. I think that I will wait for the dust to settle a bit before buying my first projector. :)

5. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, the review is interesting and entertaining but it doesn't suddenly make me sit up and reach for the phone. Currently the unit is available for under £5000 (fair price if the specs are right) and it would be a unit I would consider, but the review isn't "technical" enough to warrant an immediate purchase.

I too am concerned about the 3:2 pulldown, the 1:1 pixel mapping (does it run through the scaler/processor or not??) and the reported problems with smearing, artifacts and (most worryingly) the blank screen frame after excessively bright white/colours on screen that has been reported.

BUT having said that, it's the first review I've seen, the guy watches a lot of movies and genuinely loves what he does. If he says it looks better than the VPL-VW10HT then I believe his model probably does (whether this can be extrapolated to infer the quality of every production model is another case). Clearly, as with many reviews, it is written fairly objectively (without test equipment) based on test projector. Unfortunately, again as with many reviews, this in itself makes it a subjective review - there will be variation in the quality of the models shipped.

And what of the dust issues/dead pixels??

I can only reiterate what others have said and issue the challenge --

Can anyone get hold of one, and if so can THEY write a review??? (Please!!)

Matt

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Tim: Didn't want to sound like I was having a go at your post. I know exactly what you meant in your post and just thought that I'd add a little food for thought. I guess that Chris F will bring us up a dem PLV60 to see at some point in the future. I doubt we'll have it long enough for me to any special measurement etc.

If it's good though we may stock it but we'll see. Sony's VPL11 HT has to be evaluated and my boss who was at CEDIA saw the HT250 and was very enamoured with it....

The 1:1 pixel mapping I saw as a good sign. It means that you can set a PC to the exact native resolution of the panel and effectively bypass the de-interlacing nad scaling inside. At least that's what I take it to mean. Good news for HTPC users.

If I do see one I'll probably comment.

Gordon

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Gordon...No problem, I wasn't affended. I and many others appreciate your posts on keeping us informed of these Projectors, I'm learning a great deal about Projectors on this Forum from people like yourself and others.
    I woudnt have even bothered having a demo of the Sanyo plv-30 without the recent posts on it, maybe I will get a Sanyo one day, the plv-60 would be nice but would more likely be the plv-30 :(.

Keep up the good work.

Tim

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Emmmm. maybe I shoudnt of said " all the tech info you need, I should have said its more informative, than say... HCC's review of the plv-30.
    When will you be getting hold of one Gordon? Maybe you could give us your oppinion on this new beast.

Cheers
    Tim

9. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have to agree, the sanyo review in hcc was lightweight...if i hadnt read comments on here i wouldnt even look at it

M