1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-30

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Me, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I wonder if anyone can help me with some advice. I have a Sanyo PLV-30 LCD projector which I find excellent and is ideal in the small space I have for my home cinema. A few days ago I noticed what I thought to be a dead pixel appear on the projected image. It appears as a small, about seven centimetres across,out of focus circle on the top left of the screen. The image is projected on a 16:9 six foot screen. The screen is ok. When I put the image out of focus the small blemish comes into focus. Does this mean it is on the back of the lens? The front of the lens is clean. It is only noticable on a black screen. I was just wondering what it was.Is it dust? Is it a dead pixel? What does a dead pixel or dust actually look like when projected? Sorry of all the questions. Happy New Year.

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You don't use a name so guess you are either incredibly famous or wanted by the authorities ;) which ever, this may help.

The good news is that this is not a dead pixel which can present in three ways.
    Stuck open (bright colour spot)
    Stuck shut (dark spot)
    Partially stuck (dark spot on bight scenes, bright on dark)

The fact that you can focus the "thing" means it is dust either in front or behind the LCD pannel. as most of these types of projectors are pretty much sealled at the back, I would have thought you will find it sitting at the front.

If you feel confident take the lens out and with a dark image showing look down the hole to see the front glass. With a bit of luck you should be able to see the "thing". Getting it out is another thing. (camera shops sell dust blowing cans or try blowing it with a drinking straw with a balloon on (do not be tempted to just put the straw in your mouth, too much moisture in your breath and you may spit). after that a soft dry sable paint brush. but do remember that very few of the pieces of glass in this sort of projector are more than a mm thick).

Let us know if it works

3. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Roland. I thought the problem may lie with dust or something on the lens however I am not that confident with taking the projector apart to try and clean it. I think I was looking for conformation that it was dust and not something serious.
    Thanks again. Happy New Year.
    Mark.

4. Neil Bradley

Neil Bradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this sounds like a dust particle on the back of the lense or lcd panel, if you have a dead pixel it will be a small coulored block either red green or blue, you can get rid of the dust by getting a can of Air from maplins and spraying in the lenses area.

5. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed the same on my PLV 30. Anyone know if it is safe to remove the air filter and blow some "canned air" into the projector, or do I have to disassemble the whole ting to get to it...?