1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-30 Widescreen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Malone, May 7, 2001.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Having seen various posts suggesting the lack of 16.9 support on this projector I had a look at Sanyo's website. On the info it said "4.3 regular screen, 16.9 wide aspect selection(not possible with 1080i, 1035i, 720p input)
    Has anybody any idea what these numbers relate to and whether it is or isn't widescreen compatible. Also would it affect the anamorphic mode you find on some DVD films. This may all sound naive but projectors are a bit of a new concept for me.

Malone........ :)

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ian, from your experience you say that by using an external scaler eg the rock, you could use a 4:3 picture and display it within a 16:9 screen. Does this apply to cheaper scalers like the iscan? I quite fancy a cheap (£2000ish) lcd projector but do not want a 4:3 screen. This seems like a workaround option that would also improve quality from sky etc.? :confused:

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    John (it's Liam, BTW ;) ),
    I believe that the Rock can place a 4:3 image within the 16:9 part of the screen (i.e. all of it if you're using a 16:9 screen), but I don't think the Iscan (which is a de-interlacer, not a scaler) can - Gordon or Chris could confirm.
    However, the Rock is about £2500, which is quite an increase to a £2000 projector :( .

Actually, I'm in the same boat as you. I'd love a £2k projector that could display correctly on a 16:9 screen. I guess an HTPC would be the cheapest way to achieve this, but it's hardly family friendly. What we need is a Sanyo PLV60 at the same price as the PLV30...

Cheers,
    Liam

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    OK, let's clear a few things up.

First - PLV30 with ordinary video sources such as DVD fed via composite, s-video or component:

- for full compatibility with all screen formats (4:3, 4:3 letterbox a.k.a. non-anamorphic, and finally anamorphic a.k.a. enhanced for 16:9) you should use a 4:3 projection screen.

It is possible to use a 16:9 ratio screen and this will work fine for 4:3LB and anamorphic films (the PLV30 has a 16:9 mode). The trade off is that 4:3 film and TV images will fall off the top and bottom of a 16:9 screen.

Second - PLV30 + iScan Pro, Component output, connection to 3 x phono inputs on PLV30, signal standard 480p a.k.a. Progressive Scan:

- you can use either a 4:3 or 16:9 screen. The PLV30 retains its 16:9 mode and, combined with the iScans ability to compress the image width, you can have a mini 4:3 image inside your 16:9 screen - the result is like watch 4:3 on a 16:9 TV where you have grey/black bars to the left and right.

Lastly - PLV30 + iScan Pro, RGB output, connection to 15 pin D connector input on PLV30, signal standard 640x480 a.k.a. 480p:

- Your choice of 4:3 or 16:9 screen, but you'll have to set and leave the DVD player to 4:3LB mode because the PC input on most LCD/DLP projectors won't allow 16:9 mode compression. However, you will still be able to create a mini 4:3 image using the iScan.

Scalers get round this problem by manipulating the image into the correct shape whilst maintaining resolution.

As for 720p, 1035i and 1080i don't worry about them. They are American and Japanese High Definition TV formats. We don't have HDTV in the UK (unfortunately).

Regards

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Chris Frost ]

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Darn, my original reply just got eaten.

The summary was: yes, the Sanyo PLV30 will accept letterboxed or anamorphic signals.

• 4:3 shaped LCD array devices (like Sanyo PLV30) = standard TV (but bigger!). 4:3 shaped picture has no black bars. Higher aspect ratios (e.g. 2.35:1) displayed with black bars above and below). Use 4:3 shaped screen;
    • 16:9 shaped LCD array devices (like Sony) = widescreen TV. 4:3 picture has black bars on the sides. 16:9 picture has no black bars. Aspect ratio > 16:9 has black bars top and bottom. Use 16:9 shaped screen;
    • 4:3 shaped LCD array devices that can display 4:3 image within 16:9 screen (like Sim2 HT200, or external scaler like Rock). Use either shaped screen.

Cheers,
    Liam

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: lmccauley ]

6. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Ooh, didn't know this. Thanks for setting me straight, Chris.

So, am I correct in thinking that for about £3k you can get the Sanyo PLV30 + Iscan Pro and project onto a 16:9 ratio screen (with 4:3 pictures having black bars on the sides)? Has anyone tried this? How does the quality of the 4:3 image look?

Cheers,
    Liam

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Yes Liam,

You can do this and it'd be a cracking picture! I haven't tried the 4:3 scaling feature but anamorphic DVD's to a PLV30 from an Iscan is superb for the money.

Gordon

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry Liam! ;)
    This has got to be one of the best bits of news to come out of a thread in ages, it certainly seems a good alternative to the Sony 10HT.
    Anybody know where i might be able to see the iscan and sanyo in the south of the country.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John - can't help you out, but I (and quite possibly Slingshot) would be very interested to see this combo too.

I've bought a 16:9 screen - as a 4:3 would've had to be smaller due to the bigger drop (the screen would be over the top of my speakers). I will mainly be watching DVD, but would like to be able to watch TV without missing heads / feet too.

Does the IScan improve the picture too, or does it just sort out the picture formatting?

10. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Chris, sorry to be a bit thick but can you clarify
    1.Does this mean that with a 16:9 screen that you still get overscan when watching a 16:9 film, or can you compress the height with the iSCAN?
    2. Does this iSCAN convert SVideo/Composite to component output? :confused:

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    The ISCAN has composite/svideo and component inputs. On these it accepts NTSC/PAL or Secam signals. It then de-interlaces them and outputs them as progressive scan signals.

This progressive scan signal can use either component or RGB as the method of transmission. So with a PLV30 you'd output as component so you could still use the projectors aspect ratio control for anamorphic DVD's.

With a 16:9 screen you'd watch anamorphic discs by setting the Iscan to normal picture aspect ratio and the PLV30 to "widescreen"

Letterbox films the same as above but with the PLV30 set to Fullscreen.

4:3 material would be centred within the 16:9 screen by setting the Iscan to 4:3 on a 16:9 screen and setting the PLV30 to "Widescreen"

I'm pretty sure this is right. Chris can confirm.

The Iscan doesn't just do aspect ratio control. In fact that's just a bonus. What it does is offer vastly superior de-interlacing of the incoming siganl compared to that inside the projector itself. In this way you get a much, much better picture!

Cheers,

Gordon

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

12. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Err, its got a bit technical. Although im sure the answer is in there somewhere unfortunately I haven't been able to find it.
    The screen I shall be getting is a 4.3 shape however my widescreen TV, when fed an anamorphic signal from DVD fills out to give me a full widescreen picture. With this in mind will an S-Video signal fed through my amp to the projector still carry this signal so as to increase the overallsize of the widescreen image to an anamorphic one which I thought was supposed to give you better resolution. Does this make sense? Also there was the original question regarding the numbers stated as not being widescreen compatible which is on my original post.

If any of you have answered this in your previous posts I apologize but, laymans terms this time please!My understanding of Home Cinema is general and not technical.

Thanks Matt........ :confused: :) :confused:

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Malone: The PLV30 will accept an incoming anamorphic DVD image through either Component, s-video or composite. It will then use the full width of it's panel to display it in the correct aspect ratio.

So to answer your question,,,,, yes it'll all be OK and yes it'll look great. By using a 4:3 shaped screen you make things easier for yourself. Buying a prog scan DVD player or an Iscan will make the picture even better should you require increased performance.

It's a tricky subject and much easier to show than describe. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. These threads do tend to slide of at a tangent sometimes!

All the best,

Gordon...

Two days till my jolly sunny hols! yipee!

14. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Gordon,

Am I correct in reading that you need to change the Iscan's "squeeze" mode between 16:9 (anamorphic or letterboxed) and 4:3 material? Is there a remote for the Iscan, or is it a manual-only operation?

Cheers,
    Liam

15. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Gordon has pretty much summed up everything.

Just to clarify Liams question - the iScan doesn't do anything to a 4:3LB or 16:9 image. This squeezing is done by the projector when you switch in or out of 16:9 mode in the projector menu.

The only time an iScan changes the shape of the image is when it squeezes in the L&R sides (only) of a picture to create a small 4:3 image inside your 16:9 screen.

To make this occur you have a little manual toggle switch on the front panel of the iScan.

Hope this helps.

Regards

16. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Phew just what I was looking for thanx a bunch I can now sleep at night, dont get me wrong these "tangents" are all informative and im grateful for them but now and again, to the point is ideal.

Cheers again..

Regards Malone.......
    :D :D :D

17. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Where can I read up on the Iscan line doubler, there doesn't seem to be any info on the Owl website.

Cheers
    Tim

18. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    www.siimage.com has all the information. Is the only way to connect a digibox to the iscan the composite. Is there any way to convert the digibox's RGB to component to get a better quality signal into the Iscan and hence the projector. Does the Iscan convert all of the sources into component and then ouputs the component signal to the projector?
    Does anyone know of who has the best price for the Iscan in the UK or is the price fixed at £750. Is the picture from a Sanyo PLV30 with an Iscan as good as a Sony VW10 without?
    Lots of questions

19. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    You could get an RGB to s-video converter for around £60-80 (try http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/ or http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/cat/13con/131-4.html) and use the s-video input on the iscan.

I believe that the iscan converts all signals to progressive scan component (but I'll let Chris correct me if I'm wrong, as usual ;) ).

Your last question is difficult to answer as I think that overall the Sanyo PLV30 without the iscan has a better picture than the Sony :eek: . Obviously a lot of other people will disagree.

Cheers,
    Liam

20. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Cheers, Cossie, I'll pop over there and take a look.

Tim :)