1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-30 vs Mitsubishi SA51U and Progressive Scan DVD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lchiu7, Jul 4, 2001.

1. lchiu7

lchiu7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to get a LCD projector and am torn between the Sanyo PLV-30 and possibly the Mitsubishi SA51U.

The docs say the Sanyo can do 16:9 which I take to mean receive an anamorphic image from a DVD and stretch/unsqueeze it to the right AR. There has been some question in this forum if the Sanyo can do this with a 480p signal from a DVD player (I have just purchased the Skyworth 1050P). Looking at the brochure it says it can do 16:9 mode except for 1080i, 1035i, 720p (none of which are relevant to me anyway).

I have looked at the unit and it seems good, bright and quiet. I compared it with the SW15 side by side and it was brighter than the more expensive SW15.

In a separate test I looked at the Mits SA51U but the dealer did not have a DVD player on hand so I could not tell if it could take the anamorphic 480p signal and display that properly. I think I need to take my DVD player to the dealer to try it out.

All are about the same price - about US$2300 for PLV-30 to US$2600 for the SW15 or Mits

Any experiences with any of these monitors and PS DVD players?

I also looked at the Infocus LP340 but that cannot accept a 480P signal that that's out

Thanks

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sanyo projector and the Skyworth DVD player. I have only had limited time to spend with them (cursed working away!) but was very impressed with what I saw when I installed them.

The projector has no problems accepting a 480p signal from the Skyworth and doing the correct aspect ratio unsqueeze. It looked simply fantastic with Toy Story 2, Proof of Life and Gone in Sixty Seconds. An amazingly crisp and cinema like picture. Horizontal pans which can look terrible on some lesser projectors (I had a Kodak v600 once) are very, very smooth. I am not usually prone to seeing a massive quality jump in equipment but I was surprised at how good the progressive signal looked on the projector.

I had less time to play with pal progressive - but Snatch and a bit of Buffy season 2 looked good. I was less convinced by The World is Not Enough. Camera movements in this film seemed a little unnatural - hard to describe really. However since Snatch, which I tried later, looked good I think I may have forgotten to set the correct signal on heprojector. I'll have to have a play with it next weekend to see if I was at fault.

I would have no hesitation in buying his combo again - especially for NTSC 480p material. I have never seen the Mitsubishi projector so cannot coment on that.

Hope you enjoy your purchases.

Jimmy.

3. lchiu7

lchiu7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yours is the first post I have seen that has this particular combination - that's great.

It's nice to know the projector will take the 480p anamorphic image and unsqueeze. As for 525p well I don't have any PAL discs (all mine are either Region 1 or Region 3) so that is not really an issue for me (yet).

Just a couple of other questions if I may

1. Is the screen door effect noticeable, esp with 480p material at the screen size you normally watch at?

2. How's the brightness - 500 lumens doesn't sound like a lot. Do you have to have the room quite dark?

The Mitsubishi I am looking at is here http://www.mitsubishi-ryoden.com.hk/Multi-mediaLCDProjector_LVP-SA51U.htm

I have had some pretty positive feedback on the unit (does 1080i really well but that is not much use to me at this time). And it's bright at 1000 lumens. But the key thing for me is will it do what the Sanyo does - i.e. do 16:9 - from the specs and the manual looks like it won't but I will lug my Skyworth to the dealer and try it out first before making the final decision. It's a bit more expensive that the Sanyo at US$2560 but the added brightness might do it for me

I will keep you posted!

Laurence

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Laurence,

I am watching from around 10-12 feet back from a roughly 6.5 feet wide sceen. I do not notice any 'screen door' effect. The picture was simply fantastic - although I should stress that I haven't had enough time with the projector yet to give a full verdict - roll on next weekend!

500 lumens does not sound like a lot and with full daylight you cannot watch the picture - but would you want to? I have a large (9ft wide) window directly behind the viewing area and had to wait until 9:30 or so to watch a decent picture. Basically with any projector I have seen you need a dark room - I used to have a 700 lumens projector and the Sanyo isn't any different to that unit to my eyes.

I have no hesitation in recomending this projector to you - and I'm sure you can find other satisfied users by searching the forum.

5. lchiu7

lchiu7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to check out the Mits SAU51 first with a progressive scan 480p signal (anamorphic) to see if the projector could scale to 16:9 before making a final decision. Then my Skyworth died! The door would not open (based on what I have seen in the AVSFORUM this is the dead capacitor issue). I have taken the unit back to the store for replacement/repair - at first I demanded a replacement but given I could get one from the same batch (the store had a pile on display) I might be better off getting the unit fixed (the capacitor replaced)

Laurence