1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo PLV-30 questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by StephenR, Feb 18, 2001.

1. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm seriously considering getting a Sanyo PLV-30 after all the positive comments on this forum, but I have a few questions for those in the know e.g. current owners.

Firstly, can an RGB source such as a Sky digibox be connected to the computer input? I would use the component input for the DVD player, so that only leaves either S-Video or the computer input.

Also I was wondering what the price of replacement lamps would be. I haven't seen any places selling them - are they readily available? I would be using the projector a lot (replacing the TV) so how long should I expect the lamps to last? The specification says "short arc lamp with a long life" which isn't very specific!

Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated as I am a novice when it comes to projectors.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Have you considered one of the RGB to S convertors?

This would probably cost about the same as having a special cable made, it would allow switching via your AV amp and would simplify the wiring to the projector - just S-Video and Component.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

3. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I did think of that, but would the quality be good enough? Maybe there will be an S-Video out on the new Pace PVR (wishful thinking I know!)

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my PLV30 for about a month and am delighted with it. The only problem with using a RGB-Svid convertor (with my Ondigital box) is that there are many fine diagonal lines in the picture which are normally still, but sometimes race along the screen. I don't get this using the Svid signal from my DVD player. The effect is a bit irritating, but nothing too serious.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my PLV30 for about a month and am delighted with it. The only problem with using a RGB-Svid convertor (with my Ondigital box) is that there are many fine diagonal lines in the picture which are normally still, but sometimes race along the screen. I don't get this using the Svid signal from my DVD player. The effect is a bit irritating, but nothing too serious.

6. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info TonyJP. I take it using the convertor is better than composite though, right?

May I ask what size is your screen and how far are you from it? I may have a problem in that I want a 6 foot wide image but the projector would need to be about 15 feet from the screen i.e. behind me.

7. Rupert Bear

Rupert Bear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stephen,

If you want a 6' image from the Sanyo, the projector cannot be more 13' away from the screen. I have to put mine in the middle of the room to view it and then pack it away when I've finished using it. Because it's so small and light, this is not a problem.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    What manufacturers RGB to Svid unit are you using. It sounds to me like you are seeing an earth loop problem.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stephen, my projector is also 15 feet away from the screen, which gives an image of just over 8 feet. (My screen is actually a roller blind in a plastic-like blackout material painted a light grey.)
    The convertor is from JS Technologies at www.rgbtosvideo.com. The picture with a composite feed is still watchable, but rather blurry. I've now fed the signal from the convertor through my S-VHS VCR and on to the projector which has improved things a bit.
    Gordon, what's an earth loop problem and how do I fix it? Any help would be much appreciated.

10. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
  11. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the convertor I was going to get. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to obtain/make an RGB cable to connect to the computer input? Don't you just connect red, green and blue out pins of the Scart to the red, green and blue in pins on the VGA connector and then the composite out from the Scart to HV-Sync (pin 13) on the VGA? Am I missing something here?

BTW, I can't get that PDF document to display correctly. I'm using Adobe Acrobat 3.01 (Windows 98).

One more thing - what's the difference between the PLV-30 and the PLC-SW10? They're the same price but the SW10 has 700 ANSI lumens vs. the PLV-30's 500.

[This message has been edited by StephenR (edited 23-02-2001).]