Sanyo PLC-XM150L Display Issue

jackball

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I volunteer at a local film collective. We show independent films in a fully restored art deco cinema. Our projector, the Sanyo PLC-XM150L, has a notable display fault which has forced us to temporarily cease screenings. The issue is an almost pattern like pixel formation in the top left corner of the screen. I believe this to be a fault with the three LCD chip within the projector, and possibly a faulty polarising filter. I have read a few articles on the forum and this in the conclusion I have drawn. I am simply wondering if this issue has truly rendered the unit useless and if a replacement is the only viable solution.

Last edited:
A pink issue indicates a problem with the Green panel or filter.

Tricky to tell, but it looks like a panel fault, so probably terminal. It is fairly easy to strip the block down clean the absorber and polariser, but be careful not to move a panel, as this will require re-aligning.

As a replacement, I would look at either a Christie, Panasonic or Sony projector in that price range. 3 chip DLP is just about achievable, as is 1080p. You will struggle to get something bright and 2K or 4K for that money, but I don't know how you play out the source files. Are you using a media server or just off the Blu-rays, DVD and tape? Do you need a specific lens ratio, or is this a temporary installation?

Yep, a long throw lens. You need to know the screen width to calculate this. Do you have moveable screen masking, or do you just letterbox the wider formats?

I would certainly be looking at a 6000 - 12000 Lumen projector in that size of venue. Christie M Series would work well, but you may wish to consider a commercial Cinema projector, with Xenon lamp source, as this will give better colour rendition.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom