1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo new projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nuno Santos, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi!

While we wait for the new PLV60 to arrive, I've been noticing some fuss about two other new projectors from Sanyo (XP18 and XP21) at the AVS forum. I think they were designed for the presentation market, but since some highly regarded people seem to be giving them high scores, I think it might be worth looking at (pricing goes from £4500 to £5400, inc. VAT).
    Maybe Chris Frost or Gordon can shed some light into this matter?

Thanks.
    NS

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    These are both high contrast projectors for the data presentation/sports bar market. They are very bright. Each is used in conditions where there is lots of ambient light or a very large image is required.

However, the video performance of the PLV30 is better in a typical home theatre.

Occasionally I'll recommend these projectors for home use. It is normally to the customer who wants a video image in a large conservatory or over the swimming pool.

In these applications the video picture quality takes second place. The important requirement is raw power. However, in a typical home theatre/living room you wouldn't require the light power unless the screen size is very large - say 14 to 20ft wide.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

3. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank's Chris for your help.

I think that most LCD projectors out there today were made having the prensentation market on sight, so I often wonder if the differences between them and the ones labbeled as 'Video' or 'HT' orientated, are tangible.
    There are, of course, exceptions like the 10HT, the DLP HT200 or maybe even the PLV30.
    Does this means that eg. the PLV30 had scaling and other video features redesigned to cope with full motion video demands?

Thanks again,

NS