1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santa Is Buying Me A New Dvd Recorder..advice Please??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hssc11045, Nov 18, 2003.

1. hssc11045

hssc11045

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Santa is bringing me a new dvd recorder this xmas. My budget is around £400. I always use ritek discs and wonder if anyone could advise me on the best machine out there. I would like one with the best/most features like multi region capability etc. Any guide prices, advice or links to good deals greatly appreciated. Uk based.

Many thanks :)

2. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the Sony RDR-GX3?

I have recently got one and thus far very pleased. It is multi-region and cost £375 from Digital-Point.

The Sony records DVD-RW and DVD+RW. I have watched a few Pre-recorded DVDs (Blade 2 and Aliens), and the picture and sound Is excellent.

I didn't compare the Sony's' picture to other DVD Recorders, so maybe there is better, I don't know.

I personally think the Sony is a Fab looking machine that is easy to use and gives fab results.

Highly Recommended.

ATB.

BTW...If you want to record from a digital camera then look at the Sony RDR GX7. About £600.

3. hssc11045

hssc11045

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice m8, have been told the panasonic E60 is very good, anyone any thoughts please??

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The Panasonic models (E50 and E60) are generally regarded as the best budget DVD recorders. Choose the E60 if you have a digital camcorder (due to iLink in), choose the cheaper E50 otherwise.

However the Panny models record to DVD-RAM which brings lots of features, i.e. Timeslip (watch one recording whilst playing another), editting and non-linear playlists, but does not play on other DVD players. The Panny will record to DVD-R which will play in most existing DVD players but does not have the features associated with RAM disks.

Thus if you need your recordings (on re-writeable media) to play on other DVD players then you need to look at DVD-RW or DVD+RW machines. The best of the former is the Sony Mark mentions as this allows you to record onto DVD-RW in Video (compatible mode) or VR (non-compatible but feature-laden mode). The VR mode on the Sony isn't quite upto the Panny standards (no Timeslip) but is still a good compromise. The Sony also writes to DVD-R and DVD+RW.

The DVD+RW machines from Philips (and a number of cheaper companies, e.g. Daewoo, Bush, Mico) will play back in most DVD players but have very limited features.

There are also multi-format DVD recorders available from JVC and Toshiba that write to DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-R which also offer a good all round compromise. Both of these machines lack RGB in though which means they cannot make best quality recordings from Sky.

5. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What about the Pioneer DVR-3100-S? Costs £400, does DVD-RW and has timeslip?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    push budget a bit or wait and get an HS2??? E60 is superb but unless you use a digi camera or camcorder the extra bits are not worth it over the E50 unless you do.

7. hssc11045

hssc11045

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys will have to do a bit of research here. I don't have sky but do watch a lot of dvd movies on dvd-r. Want to record from tv and watch on dvd player mostly so which player is best suited for that please??

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    do you have freeveiw?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Do you mean watch on a different DVD player? If so then DVD-RW is the one you want; as I say in such circumstances the Sony GX3 is the best option, and in a more-or-less joint 2nd place the Pioneer 3100, Toshiba DR1 and JVC DMR1.

If you mean record and watch on the same DVD machine then the Panasonic models - the E60 if you need iLink or the E50 otherwise.

10. hssc11045

hssc11045

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not have freeview, just telewest digital. Looks like its either the Pioneer DVR-3100-S or the Sony GX3. I am also buying a 36inch Toshiba telly ( Toshiba 36ZP38) would it be best to go for the Toshiba DR1 for compatability or does it not really matter. I am a novice as you may have guessed!!! Sorry if the questions are silly, but want to get the best I can!!!! Thanks for all your kind advice thus far.

11. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    hssc11045,

I'm in a similar position. I've already bought a Toshiba 32ZP38 so was looking for a DVD recorder that had progressive scan output to make the most of the TVs prog scan features. As far as I know the Toshiba DR1 is one of only a couple of recorders that supports PAL/NTSC prog scan. I'd also like RGB in to make best use of the Sky Digital pic quality but AFAIK the tosh doesn't even on scart 1 which can output RGB. It seams a bit of a serious ommision if this is the case. :confused:

If anyone else knows of a good prog scan, DVD recorder with i-Link and RGB input let us know.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RGB in is essential other wise stuck with composite any might as well use a vcr mate!!!! if you are going for a 36" TV then defo need RGB enabled on digi box and ideally for DVD as well As TOSH 36PF range and Panny 36PD30 (have a look) have YUV inputs then an RGB>YUV converter (£150) with the Tosh recorder would work. but +£150 to budget and your are in HS2 money!!!