Sansui radio aerial help

johnno73

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I saved this radio from the dump and it all seems to work ok and I have it set up at work. However, I can only get local FM and Radio 1 is a very poor signal. The back of this thing has three FM points (see attached pic) and I have this loop antenna. how should I set this up or do I need a different aerial altogether? Can I make my own?

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 821
Loop aerials such as this are generally very poor indeed and it would be worth getting something better,but you appear to have both wires from the antenna wired into the same terminal as well.

It seems to be slightly better having them wired that way..

It seems to be slightly better having them wired that way..

One is supposed to be connected to one of the 300ohm terminals,and the other to the adjacent 300ohm terminal.

Get nothing at all with that

OK.

My advice is going to be this....

This was a relatively cheap tuner when it came on the market,and was not one of Sansui's best.
The antenna is also the most basic possible,and unless you're going to move to a better tuner(and don't forget that some decent vintage tuners are still going for reasonably cheap prices),then I certainly wouldn't plough money into this by buying a good fixed(roof mounted) antenna.

All of the big Japanese companies produced good FM tuners in the 70s and 80s,and some from Sansui,Kenwood,Yamaha and Sony remain amongst the best ever made,even now,but this isn't one of them unfortunately.

Here's a good place to look if you are interested.

Tuner Information Center - Vintage Stereo Tuners

You appear to have Two wires connected to the same Center Antenna Terminal. Since the Center terminal is common to both 300 ohm and 75 ohm, one would assume it is just that, the Common or Ground terminal.

A line antenna, or open loop antenna, is usually connected to a single point, however a loop antenna is connected by two wires to two points. That is not what you are doing. Given that is not a coaxial 75 ohm antenna, one wire should go to the center common terminal and the other to the left 300 ohm terminal.

Steve/bluewizard

BlueWizard said:
You appear to have Two wires connected to the same Center Antenna Terminal. Since the Center terminal is common to both 300 ohm and 75 ohm, one would assume it is just that, the Common or Ground terminal.

Steve/bluewizard
Steve....

I pointed that out earlier but it didn't seem to have been acted on.

I'm going to start with an apology because I am sure I'm going to come off as rude ... sorry.

But if it didn't work, then I have to think you didn't do it right.

The antenna has two wires.

The Receiver has two antenna terminals.

It is not rocket science.

Do consider that I'm not there, I can't see what you are doing. I can't know what you have tried, or whether you did it properly. But if the receiver works, then the only conclusion is, you are doing something wrong.

There are better FM Antennas you can buy. -

TERK TEREDGE/FM4000 FM Edge Amplified Indoor Antenna

TERK TERAM/FM+ Indoor Passive AM/FM Antenna

Audiovox Accessories Corporation Terk FM Only Stereo Antenna Fm+

TERK TOWER Indoor Amplifed AM/FM radio receiver Antenna on eBay!

I have a variation of the TERK FM Antenna and it works fine.

Steve/bluewizard

Yes, I tried that and got no reception at all.
Using a battery and a bulb from a torch, make a loop using the antenna to see if the bulb lights. If it doesn't replace the broken loop antenna. If the antenna's OK open up the Sansui and check that the wire from the circuit board to the 300 Ohm terminal hasn't come loose and solder it back again if it has.

Using a battery and a bulb from a torch, make a loop using the antenna to see if the bulb lights. If it doesn't replace the broken loop antenna. If the antenna's OK open up the Sansui and check that the wire from the circuit board to the 300 Ohm terminal hasn't come loose and solder it back again if it has.

Ok thanks, I'll take a look at that. Thanks also noticing that I had done what had already been suggested.

More likely to be the tuner part failing or its wayyyyyyyyyyyyy out of wack (its not really a diy job to realign these), more than likely why it was at the dump in the first place.

Regards

More likely to be the tuner part failing or its wayyyyyyyyyyyyy out of wack (its not really a diy job to realign these), more than likely why it was at the dump in the first place.

Regards

:) Quite possibly

I thought loop antennae were for AM reception? Just connect each end of the loop to the AM terminals to pick up 5 live and an abundance of "gold" stations.

A 300 ohm FM aerial needs one of those "T" shaped aerials you afix to the wall (Mentioned above). You can make one very easily though.

Get a 3M length of speaker cable and split one end for a distance of 80cm. Get a couple of drawing pins and pin the 2 ends as far apart as they will go in the horizontal plane. Connect the other ends of the speaker cable to the 300 ohm terminals - it does not matter which wire goes to which. You should now have a "T" shaped aerial hanging out the back of the tuner. Get the vertical section as straight as you can.

The lengths of the wire is fairly critical. The wavelength of a 95MHz signal (About halfway up the band) is about 3M, so this dictates the length of the aerial. The T shape makes a 1/4 wave horizontally polarized element and the vertical section acts as a crude matching balun.

Have a look online for other DIY aerials. I used to have lots of fun as a kid making all sorts of antennae for Short Wave reception, with matching coils made up from cotton bobbins full of wire and long lengths strung out of the window to the washing line!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom