• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sanity check of proposed speaker layout

Dunk42

Established Member
Hi all,

Please see below a diagram of my proposed speaker layout. This should be in line with the guidance from Dolby on a 7.1.4 layout. I'd appreciate a second pair of eyes to sanity check it.

There may be a few rounding errors on the measurements with Visio but should be near enough.

Comments are welcome/appreciated.
(Centre speaker not shown: obviously central to the screen.)

ZaptV58.jpg

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I assume the front right seat is the prime location? If so then your speaker layout seems reasonable to me. The rear sofa is not going to get a great sound since the rears are going to be too close (especially those sat on the two ends and the side surrounds will be in front of them. That said 2 layers of seating like that is always going to come with some compromises in terms of sound.

Dunk42

Established Member
yes, precisely the plan. Although most the time it will only be two of us, so if you think using a single sofa further back (plus associated speaker move), then beanbags etc. at the front is a better idea then let me know?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
That would probably be my preferred option. Single sofa placed where the gap is now between the 2. Then just move the side surrounds back so level with them. Would not touch the atmos speakers except maybe move the front pair back a little.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom