Sanity check my first system build before ordering, please.

selutha

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am building my first loud speaker system. I have always used headphones as that was the only way I could be happy in my budget. Now I am going to spend some money for what I hope is a good system. Please have a look and tell me if I have missed something or comment on the build be good or bad.

I listen to anything but, country. Mostly clasical and opera, but I do love my metal/easy listening/pop/techno. I have a very small house 1000sqft but, will be upgrading in the furture. My wife would like to beable to hear the music in the house and I think this will not be a problem with the system that follows. The source of music will be a computer for now as I do not have many records anymore (nor do I have a turntable that I could play them on anymore.

I have ripped my cds to flac, (please comment on the file format and where you would buy music for digital download if any) The system will also play sound for the tv, everything will come from the computer and be displayed on the tv. (I was amazed at how crappy the flat screen sounds, I have not owned a tv in over 10 years.) I get movies from netflix/amazon I plan to play music/movies/ect though the computer and it does have a toslink.

Sorry if you don't need this info here is the build I am thinking of:

Marantz PM6004
Paradigm Studio 20 V5
SVS PB12-NSD
Schiit Bifrost DAC

Rough Room size: 16x11x10

Hookup: computer>(toslink) bifrost>marantz

This is the upper limit of my budget, current cost est: 2k-2.5k

I have listened to the Paradigm studio 20's but not the sub. Though SVSound seems to be very popular on the internet. It will be my first purchase that I have not listened to personally, so any comments on this purchase would be strongly appreciated.

Also when I was listening to the Paradigm I was listening on them though a McIntosh int amp. My budget does not allow for an amp that cost 3k. How was my choice in amp? What can I expect in using the Marantz PM6004?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to reading your responses.

P.S. on the side note is it worth subscribing to a sound service like MOG for playing music?

I have posted this on a few other forums. I am trying to get as much info for the best possible choices. One thing I have been told is not to get the pm6004 but an AV receiver. I just wanted to make it clear that this system's primary use is to listen to music. Me and my wife watch less than 5 hours of tv a week, while listening to music about 30 hours a week.

My concern about getting an AV is that it will not give me the same fidelity as this setup. I would be dependent on the DAC internal to the av. How would the the pm6004 compare to say... a Marantz SR6005 or an Onkyo 709. If I would be better off using the money for the DAC + pm6004 on a AV please let me know.

The AV extras are alluring but they may just look good on paper please help me out.

The source will most likely always be a computer, I have never owned a game console and do not plan to own one.

Also I hear a lot about Audyssey MultEQ XT is this something that should lean more towards the AV?

One last note: It has been offered that the Sierra-1 with NrT tweeter should also be considered, though I don't know if I can audition those speakers. (I could buy them and sent them back if I don't like them though...)

Thanks for your time in this matter,
-Sel

Sorry if you don't need this info here is the build I am thinking of:

Marantz PM6004
Paradigm Studio 20 V5
SVS PB12-NSD
Schiit Bifrost DAC

Rough Room size: 16x11x10

Hookup: computer>(toslink) bifrost>marantz

This is the upper limit of my budget, current cost est: 2k-2.5k

I have listened to the Paradigm studio 20's but not the sub. Though SVSound seems to be very popular on the internet. It will be my first purchase that I have not listened to personally, so any comments on this purchase would be strongly appreciated.

Also when I was listening to the Paradigm I was listening on them though a McIntosh int amp. My budget does not allow for an amp that cost 3k. How was my choice in amp? What can I expect in using the Marantz PM6004?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to reading your responses.

P.S. on the side note is it worth subscribing to a sound service like MOG for playing music?

I have posted this on a few other forums. I am trying to get as much info for the best possible choices. One thing I have been told is not to get the pm6004 but an AV receiver. I just wanted to make it clear that this system's primary use is to listen to music. Me and my wife watch less than 5 hours of tv a week, while listening to music about 30 hours a week.

My concern about getting an AV is that it will not give me the same fidelity as this setup. I would be dependent on the DAC internal to the av. How would the the pm6004 compare to say... a Marantz SR6005 or an Onkyo 709. If I would be better off using the money for the DAC + pm6004 on a AV please let me know.

The AV extras are alluring but they may just look good on paper please help me out.

The source will most likely always be a computer, I have never owned a game console and do not plan to own one.

Also I hear a lot about Audyssey MultEQ XT is this something that should lean more towards the AV?

One last note: It has been offered that the Sierra-1 with NrT tweeter should also be considered, though I don't know if I can audition those speakers. (I could buy them and sent them back if I don't like them though...)

Thanks for your time in this matter,
-Sel

thank goodness i'm not a salesman in an audio shop! okay, the paradigm speakers are very nice and probably eat up a lot of your budget. re: my first hilighted bold... matching the speakers with that amp could cause you some disappointment.

the second hilighted bold.... macintosh amps are very nice and if my budget allowed, i'd be spending £6500 on an int.amp it's a shame you can't budget for the amp you auditioned the speakers with. life in this hobby can sometimes integrate compromise, but i think the amp you are suggesting takes that beyond.

which comes to my third hilighted bold... part truth and part rubbish. in that order. an avreceiver is not ideal for music listening, better sound reproduction can be had from a proper stereo amp. what your problem is, finding a suitable stereo amp to drive the speakers to get the most out of them. it's highly unlikely you will find a £300 amp in the same shop as those speakers, hence you would be buying your kit 'blind' in the sense that you won't know how it sounds till you have it all set up.

the fourth hilighted... you are absolutely correct!

i don't know the split in your budget for amp;speakers;dac & sub......

also, are you purchasing in america or uk? as exchange rates differ and if you are american posting on an english based forum, the budget is not the same! as your budget restrains you from purchasing the amp that you auditioned the speakers with, perhaps you need a little re-think of how you go about it.

a few points to bear in mind.... what's the rush to buy everything all at once? make sure you get your amp and speaker match up correct. if that means all of your budget, then so be it. you can build upon that! they are essentially the foundations of any setup.

it might be the case that you 'should' (for now) forget about the sub. for the 30+ hours per week you listen to music versus the 5 hours tv watching, it's a smart move.

the best compromise to be had would be looking at a cheaper DAC solution (for now) and concentrating all of your cash on speaker/amp setup. even if that means compromising your first choice speaker. the best advice would be to do a few more auditions, looking at stereo amp with stereo speakers. if you find an amp within budget to match well to the paradigm speakers, then you are more than halfway sorted :smashin:

by trying to do everything all at once, you could end up achieving nothing like what you aspire to have in the long term.

where are you based? if in the UK consider something like the XTZ A100 amp which has a built in DAC and lots of happy users.
also, if you have room then perhaps floorstanding speakers rather than bookshelf/sub? i've never been a fan of sub's with music, but that's a personal thing.
as cornish mentions, if you are going to spend good money on speakers then try to listen to them through an amp nearer your price range. most speakers will sound better with a macintosh than with a pm6004

where are you based? if in the UK consider something like the XTZ A100 amp which has a built in DAC and lots of happy users.
also, if you have room then perhaps floorstanding speakers rather than bookshelf/sub? i've never been a fan of sub's with music, but that's a personal thing.
as cornish mentions, if you are going to spend good money on speakers then try to listen to them through an amp nearer your price range. most speakers will sound better with a macintosh than with a pm6004

hi bell, i don't think it matters where he resides re your suggestion about the xtz, if it is capable of driving those speakers and within budget.

sometimes, bookshelf does sound better, although it is all about placement.... often floorstanders need so much extra space or they are choked and can sound worse. extra space as in behind them. i agree though, what's the point of a sub in a stereo system. in fact, i'd say that for 5 hours tv viewing per week is not enough to warrant a sub. i get on fine with my setup watching tv without a sub, the bass is nice where presented, my speakers fill the room easily and in fact they sound nice from an adjacent room. there is enough 'punch' from what i have. all from a relative budget system. apart from bragging rights, owning a set of paradigm speakers on my setup, i'd probably feel underwhelmed from the sound reproduction.

well there is the other side, i'm sure a macintosh amp would make my speakers sound the dog's testies but at the same time it would require a lot of discipline on the volume pot. i think for the moment there is enough for the OP to read through, and then ask further questions.

i'm glad you came along with your input, as your suggestion doesn't seem quite so insane! i'd go along with it if i was OP and had an audition and within budget.

the most important part is that he does not buy the marantz or an avreceiver. the question there belies whether he can in fact look at just amp and speakers... if the xtz or macintosh with his first choice speakers are within budget, then he has options, or he needs to look at other amps for speaker choice or indeed look at a slightly different combination.

it's all about keeping options alive, instead of killing the budget for namesake.

Thank you both for replying, I am US based.

I dont think the dac is optional as my only source is a computer. (planning on using the toslink)

I could forgo the sub, but I dont think that brings me in range of McIntosh int amp. As those run 2k+ if i remember correctly. (Quick google confirmed) and that would be almost all of my budget. (about 500$ left.)

Rough prices of the eq is:

599 - marantz
746 - sub
1000 - speakers
340 - dac

That is just a rough est, not hard numbers with an order number. I am fortunate that they do have the marantz pm6004 there that they are willing to hook up to the paradigm studio 20s. I am still looking to audition the sierra-1 with nrt upgrades. (I don't think I can find those where I live. Though after reading I am tempted to order them for their 30 day trial period.)

I am looking up the XTZ A100 after I write this.

On your suggestions I will keep looking into amps.

Thank you both for replying, I am US based.

I dont think the dac is optional as my only source is a computer. (planning on using the toslink)

I could forgo the sub, but I dont think that brings me in range of McIntosh int amp. As those run 2k+ if i remember correctly. (Quick google confirmed) and that would be almost all of my budget. (about 500$ left.)

Rough prices of the eq is:

599 - marantz
746 - sub
1000 - speakers
340 - dac

That is just a rough est, not hard numbers with an order number. I am fortunate that they do have the marantz pm6004 there that they are willing to hook up to the paradigm studio 20s. I am still looking to audition the sierra-1 with nrt upgrades. (I don't think I can find those where I live. Though after reading I am tempted to order them for their 30 day trial period.)

I am looking up the XTZ A100 after I write this.

On your suggestions I will keep looking into amps.

i think maybe i am the one needing a sanity check :laugh: because i have just had a brainwave or a potentially lethal brainstorm!

this involves forgetting about the sub for starters! forgetting about the integrated amp too :rolleyes:

as your source is wholly based upon computer, this could be a very good way around your dilemma.

bear with me as i pinch myself stupid for even suggesting this!

source(pc)>dac>headphoneamp>poweramp>speakers

this is throwing somewhat of a suggestion, and one that 'could' possibly work for you! the dac and headphone amp in mind are as follows...

FiiO E9 High Fidelity Desktop Headphone Amplifier (FiiO E-9) the headphone amp;

FiiO E7 Headphone Amplifier & USB Audio Decoder (DAC) in Black the dac, which sits in the headphone amp.....

then you use the combination as a pre-amp to a power amp....

here in the uk it looks good value, not sure how much you're going to be stung for in the US.

considering those two, you then need to look at speakers and power amp.

heard rotel make some beefy power amps ;)

if that allows you to match a power amp with the paradigm speakers, then it's worth serious consideration. food for thought..........

An alternative option...

No amp-to-speaker matching issues, compact, powerful and most importantly....ACTIVE!

http://www.avihifi.co.uk/adm9.html

Bang on budget even with the subwoofer.

An alternative option...

No amp-to-speaker matching issues, compact, powerful and most importantly....ACTIVE!

http://www.avihifi.co.uk/adm9.html

Bang on budget even with the subwoofer.

where is the fun in that? no big heavy box to put on a stand when your guests are around. no visible volume control either, just a remote.

reminds me of the lejonklou thread, revered gear but lifeless lookswise. albeit a power amp that 'could' eat your heart out. not ruling out lejonklou, by the way, it just looks a little pussyish.

Look at the NAD direct digital either Master series or new cheaper range amps, they are all digital meaning only 1 box, its analogue inputs is converted to digital.

You'd have to check the price in the US but if in budget (especially) master you'd be making a decent 'investment' and could probably play around with different speakers on home demo to find what works for you.

I still don't understand the need for the sub. If you budget $1000 for speakers and $746 for sub, why not $1746 for even better speakers with plenty of oomph (i.e. big cones!)?

gazbarber Those NAD direct digital kit look very nice and looks like they have plenty of power.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom