Sandy Bridge V Ivy bridge

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by PerfectBlue97, Aug 25, 2012.

1. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    For a PC used for 3D rendering and Photoshop (Windows 7 64-BIT), would I gain any advantage from buying an Ivy Bridge system, or is beefier Sandy Bridge PC better value?

2. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    They cost about the same and Ivy bridge is an improvement over Sandybridge it also uses less power. Unless you get a really good deal on a Sandy Bridge CPU I would stick with the new stuff

3. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    This is what is confusing me. Why are Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge systems about the same price, and why are i5 and i7 CPU the same price.

Logic says that when two products are about the same price then they should have similar capabilities, yet you have a new product priced almost identically to the older one.

You'd think that it would be more expensive, or that the old one would get cheaper.

4. STdrez625

STdrez625
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    The older SB cpu overclock better than the newer IB. The Igraphics are better on the IB chips. there isnt a massive increase (5% ISTR) in processor power between them. Also the newer CPU use less juice.
    Intel sets the prices and nearly always prices the newer chips similar to previous.
    I just wish they would release the newer IB I3 so we can all see what's coming
    they need a three core I3 retailing @ £120 to fill in all the gaps ?

5. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Well, ivy bridge hasn't been out that long so there are still lots of Sandy Bridge i5 /i7's floating around but they are only about £10 difference on an i5 maybe, the performance is not that different between them.
    i7's and substantially more expensive though the most expensive ivy bridge i5 3570K costs about £170ish but you can't even buy a Sandy Bridge i7 for less than £200

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,493
    They do have similar capabilities, the older ones are sufficient cheap for some people to not see the point in paying the extra £10-15 for 5-10% more performance.