Sandwich Toasters

Hillskill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get back in the sandwich toasting game. I think the last time I use one was back in the 80s. I had a look in John Lewis yesterday and was a little underwhelmed. My wife quite rightly advised me that they'd be cheaper online "if I had to have one" so i figured I would ask the wise heads here first. Have there been any great leaps in Sandwich Toasting over the years? Any recommendations?

Had a couple of different ones and they were all short lived in terms of use. Got a George Foreman and use that all the time for toasies and paninins etc now. Much more practical.

yeah, I like a nice toasty - I've just got a cheap one... but yes, something like a george foreman could be more practical as it can be used for other things too...tho, it won;t seal the edges... :)

Still got the one that my mum had in the 80's, don't think they can be that expensive. Think I'll have one for tea tonight now. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nor will a toastie maker if you use bakery bread :(

yeah, I find the cheap bog standard loaf is the best...and I've only just discovered that people put butter on the outside of the bread too... !

Have a look at the diablo...I got one at the boat show for £16...simple and not a lot of washing after

Had a couple of different ones and they were all short lived in terms of use. Got a George Foreman and use that all the time for toasies and paninins etc now. Much more practical.

But how are you sealing yer edges there, fella ? :confused:

yeah, I find the cheap bog standard loaf is the best...and I've only just discovered that people put butter on the outside of the bread too... !

That's what you get for not reading the manual.

Blimey I never put butter on it at all, nor do I seal the edges. We've just got a simple tefal I think.

It will end up in cupboard like 99% of them did in the 80's never to used again or sent off to a jumble sale or car boot sale. I bought a bread maker and after a few months novelty wore off and it end up going to a charity shop, plus it was so damn big it was hard to store. Its like food processors, wonderful when you are actually using them but they take longer to wash up then it did to make what ever you were making. A mate of mine bought a juicer and he told me how wonderful it is but he got sick of how long it took wash up and stopped using it.

It will end up in cupboard like 99% of them did in the 80's never to used again or sent off to a jumble sale or car boot sale. I bought a bread maker and after a few months novelty wore off and it end up going to a charity shop, plus it was so damn big it was hard to store. Its like food processors, wonderful when you are actually using them but they take longer to wash up then it did to make what ever you were making. A mate of mine bought a juicer and he told me how wonderful it is but he got sick of how long it took wash up and stopped using it.

All depends totally on your self naturally. Our bread maker is in operation at least every other day for the last 12 years. Likewise with the toast maker, definitely comes out to play once a week.

It is not the same from a George Forman, you don't get the golden crunchy bit through the middle for starters.

You can always just put a toaster on its side for a makeshift toastie.

Sealing the edges is overrated. It makes it look boring. A cheese toastie should have cheese oozing out of all sides :D

And yer beans ? Yer beans mate ? What about yer beans ? You do have beans, yeah ? What are you rigging up to catch yer beans ? 'Cos ours are contained behind a sealed edge. And yer chilli ? What about yer chilli ? You do have that too, yeah ? Or do you all have neck guttering down there ? We don't. No need y'see: sealed edges. All the way round and right up the middle on a diag.

Are we talking those satanic style Breville sandwich toasters from the 80s?

Those things were lethal, cheese and onion or bean toasty= 3rd degree burns!

Plus butter on the outside means your essentially eating disgusting fried bread and the press squashes the bread and contents. :thumbsdow

As it happens I just discovered the way to make the perfect toasty last night :

• Make your sandwich to be toasted as normal (no butter on the outside), I just used butter on one side inside.
  • Wrap in aluminium foil
  • Put in the top of the oven for 20-25 minutes (Gas mark 6 here, but don't trust my oven's actual temperature so may vary)

Yes it does take longer than a normal toasty which may defeat the purpose of being a quick snack for some, but it tastes so much better.

It should look like this :

Attachments

• Toasted Sandwich.jpg
    Toasted Sandwich.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 280
Are we talking those satanic style Breville sandwich toasters from the 80s?

Those things were lethal, cheese and onion or bean toasty= 3rd degree burns!

Plus butter on the outside means your essentially eating disgusting fried bread and the press squashes the bread and contents. :thumbsdow

As it happens I just discovered the way to make the perfect toasty last night :

• Make your sandwich to be toasted as normal (no butter on the outside), I just used butter on one side inside.
  • Wrap in aluminium foil
  • Put in the top of the oven for 20-25 minutes (Gas mark 6 here, but don't trust my oven's actual temperature so may vary)

Yes it does take longer than a normal toasty which may defeat the purpose of being a quick snack for some, but it tastes so much better.

It should look like this :

Na not having that, the 80's brevil is better. That looks ****e really, where's the toastyness. :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom