Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb CF

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Thanks, just what I need now for my D300.

I wish Nikon would make their mind up and stick with one format :rolleyes:

logiclee

Seems they have no stock.

£27.99 delivered from play.com, paid £31.99 last week.

Been ripped off with ebay fakes too often to risk ebay just to save a few quid.

Cheers
Lee

Steve N

Distinguished Member
...Been ripped off with ebay fakes too often to risk ebay just to save a few quid.
Yes, I have to agree, just not worth it.

springtide

Distinguished Member
Same price from Amazon Marketplace, £28

If you've got a D300, I'd get the Sandisk IV. Seems a shame getting such a great frame rate and then limiting the number of frames with a slow card.

Yes, I know the Sandisk Extreme III aren't exactly slow at 20MB/sec, but the Sandisk Extreme IV is 40MB/sec, and I assume that the D300 is UDMA and capable of 45MB/sec.

Personally I got two cards. One Sandisk Extreme III and one Sandisk Extreme IV (but the 8GB ones). Best of both worlds.

lightpainter

Personally I got two cards. One Sandisk Extreme III and one Sandisk Extreme IV (but the 8GB ones). Best of both worlds.

Your not worried about ‘all you eggs in one basket’ then!

jonandjen

springtide

Distinguished Member
Your not worried about ‘all you eggs in one basket’ then!

Well, I've never had a CF fail on me yet (I know, never say never) and I always use premium brand cards that I know are not fakes.

Flash memory is pretty reliable, and if something does go wrong with it's usually within the first few weeks.

If I do get a failure I'll be a little hacked off, but it's not the end of the world. In most cases I can return to the place and shoot again.

If the photos are important to me (like when I do a wedding in a couple of months), I'll be taking a Laptop to backup as I go.
Or if I can't do that, I switch cards as I go along (just cos' I have 8GB, I don't have to fill them before switching!). I actually use three in total. 2x 8GB CF and 1x 4GB MStick (the A700 has two memory slots). For big trips, I'd invest in a media backup device, but with two small children, I don't have to worry about big trips for a little while.

I know more people who have either lost CF cards (or dropped) when swapping them when they are out and about, than CF cards that have died. And any that have died - have always been EBay fakes or other unbranded cards.

To be honest, 4GB cards are just too small since I got my A700 (12MP). I get 500 photos on an 8GB card, but if I do any HDR I usually take 10 frames per image due to the bracketing limitation of the A700 (it's just quicker to take it this way). The space really does get eaten up quickly.

I obviously prune the images when I get home, otherwise I'd need to invest in a storage company! Obviously do backups and archives at home. Use external storage for backups with a three month window, and also archive to long term archival DVD media.

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Just checked bud and although said they are in stock......when purchased at checkout it comes up with........ There is insufficent stock

Your order will be dispatched when all of the items are available. To receive your items as soon as possible create a separate order for the out of stock items

wish i had seen this earlier.....:mad:

icemanonline

dancingmatt

Never heard of Picstop - any good? I'm a bit wary of placing an order for OOS items not knowing who the company are, or when they are getting stock in...

DM

Dennis Leighton

Picstop have accepted my order today for the SanDisk Extreme lll 4GB with NO mention of being out of stock. £17.99 with £2.50 for postage etc.. I will post when I receive the delivery.:smashin:

alfienoakes

I have a couple of these cards already, paid twice as much a month ago from Play.

I've used picstop a couple of times before. They either despatch stuff from Jersey which takes about 3 days to arrive. Or from the UK which generally arrive next day.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom