1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sand filling speakers...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by evilSimon, Dec 23, 2001.

1. evilSimon

evilSimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've got a pair of monitor audio silver 5i's (about 1m tall floorstanders).. now I've heard before that filling speakers or speaker stands counteracts resonances to improve detail/clarity of the sound, so I'm going to try dry sand to see what difference it makes.

My question is, when the manual says:

"..has an internal rear chamber you can further control the bass response by adding dry sand or lead shot.."

..in what way is this likely to affect the bass response ? Will it tightening it up a little perhaps? What can I expect...?

:D

cheers

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    The general answer is as you suspect above - all floorstanders have a chamber below the drivers and filling this CAN lead to less boom and a tauter, more controlled bass. However, it isn't a guarantee, but is worth experimenting.

A word of caution - lead shot or a propietary solution, such as Atacama's "Atabytes", can get pricey. Sand is a good alternative, but ensure you used a kiln-dried sand (such as silver-sand) that won't introduce dampness to your speakers. B&Q sell this for around £5 for a sack ample for your needs.

:)

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    u should get tighter more controlled bass, but as the above post says, don't just go to the beach for your sand!!! Use proper kiln dried sand, it isn't expensive!!

4. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use lead gunshot to fill my speakers. A worthy and cost effective upgrade. Potentially less messy than sand, won't corrode anything, more mass. Can't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't bad.

5. evilSimon

evilSimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wicked.. i'll definitely try it. I'm guessing you just open up the plug, and pour the required amount of sand/lead shot in ? ..the manual says it should be placed in a plastic bag and firmly knotted, but i can't see any way of getting a large bag of sand through a 10cm diameter hole!!

6. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just bought a set or Ruark prologues ones i asked in Sevenoaks hifi about filling with sand - they said the best amout for these speakers was 1 litre of Kiln dried sand in each speaker - ie not filling it up totally.

Spike

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The idea is you put the bag into the speaker first and then fill it up. The speakers may have come with their own bags for this purpose, most speaker stands do.