San Fran to San Diego

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays' started by Dannymonaghan, May 31, 2019.

1. Dannymonaghan

Dannymonaghan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

My partner and I are heading to San Francisco in September for two weeks. We have hired a car and travelling down the coast stopping at a few places in between, Monterrey and Pismo beach and a few others. We get to LA and San Diego as our big stop overs.

Just like to know if there is any musts from anyone that's been before. We plan on doing the Halloween horror Nights and universal unsure of when tickets go on sale. We like to do tours and eat out at different places when away. Have seen Phillipe's on TV so going to try that place out.

We like sport and music and if there is anything on wouldn't mind catching something. Is there any sites that give us a breakdown of what's on and when.

We leave 17th September. I have had a look at basketball games but don't think the season fixtures are out yet.

Anything useful is good for me,

Cheers

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    If it's not on your to do list already then make sure you go and eat in old town San Diego. I think of it as a Disney version of Mexico but it really is lovely in the evening and the food is great. This gives you an idea of what to expect...

3. Deleted member 275754

Deleted member 275754

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost every brochured tour of the coast between San Francisco and LA or San Diego is dumb, particularly in having very little actual time on the journey beween with all its stuff to do on the way. Fortunately, doing things yourself overcomes this !

But could you give us some idea as to how you are apportioning your time ? Are you rigid in how long you can spend on the journey between, perhaps being governed by committment to doing things in the big cities I venture to suggest the journey along the coast is richer with activities than you might think.

I also wonder if direction of travel is fixed.

Late September is a good time for these parts, by the way.

Places like Universal can be okay in September, however it is a nuanced thing and it may still be worth paying the considefable upgrade to some kind of fast pass.

A great web site for checking California's theme park crowds by the calendar, is www.isitpacked.com

Hey, don't forget about Six Flags Magic Mountain in Santa Clarita, if you are into hard core thrill rides, as this park is arguably number one or two in the world.

As for coastal stops, for reasons I can expand on later, Santa Cruz is packed with fun. Santa Barbara is beautiful and has nice beaches.

If you could answer about timings and direction, that would be helpful.

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356
    Look at Citypass.com if you think you'll be doing lots of theme parks etc. as it saves you a chunk. When we were in LA in early September quite a few things at Disney were decommissioned for repairs as the US kids go back to school end of August.

The Zoo at San Diego is one of the best in the world and very recommended - I would skip Seaworld if I went back again.

Assuming you're doing the coast road from SF to LA then I would check out The Madonna Inn at San Luis Obispo - it's so OTT it's amazing.
    The Madonna Inn

We stayed two nights so we could visit Hearst Castle Home - Hearst Castle
    If you like the look of it then prebook your tours before you travel. We got ours a few days before we arrived but there were a lot of very disappointed people who didn't and were only able to look up the hill from the visitor centre.

We used an Air BnB in Santa Monica which was a cool neighbourhood.

5. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Monterey Bay Aquarium.
    Big Sur coast - lots of great scenery.

6. Eltee

Eltee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    We did the same route in '98. A few random ideas

A night-tour of Alcatraz
    17-Mile Drive
    Carmel
    Hearst Castle

Enjoy - we will make it back some day.

7. Si80

Si80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    We did SF to Huntington Beach for our honeymoon.
    Hire your car as you leave SF would be my first recommendation as parking in SF is expensive.
    Mortons steakhouse in SF was excellent (expensive though). Fog City Diner was also great. Alcatraz is a must. Buy a city multi pass so you can hop on and off the trams / buses. Take in a baseball game. The Giants are pretty awful at the moment but ATT park is great and tickets are cheap.

Mo’s Smokehouse BBQ was great in Pismo Beach. Huge food portions but the best ribs I’ve ever had. We stayed at the Kon Tiki Inn which was great, all rooms face the ocean.

Santa Barbara was lovely, not sure if your planning to stop there? Castillo Inn was really nice as a stop over for a night and fairly central.

8. craig1912

craig1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    Going from LA to SF in a couple of weeks (then Yosemite & Death Valley). Stopping at Santa Barbara and Monterey (booked a food tour which is a great way of tasting different food and having a local guide to show you around). Alcatraz is booked and cycles booked to go over the bridge. Stopping enroute at Hearst Castle and Big Sur.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  9. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    Humphrey’s Half Moon Inn, San Diego. Great place to stay to finish your trip. Away from the city on Shelter Island, but close enough to explore.
    They do gigs on the lawn in the summer so if you’re lucky you might catch someone decent.