1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

San Andreas XBox - Region Coded?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by MattDX, Jun 9, 2005.

1. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Anyone know if GTA:SA on XBox is region coded. After forza and Jade Empire being region free - I'd hate to wait for my SA to be delivered from the states when I could just walk into game and buy one!

2. neverenoughtoys

neverenoughtoys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    "the backed up" ntsc versions needed patching to be able to play on pal machines , so I reckon you could have problems trying to play an original ntsc version on a modded box.
    arjo

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Anyone know if the Jap version of Forza is also MR?

4. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Actually I've got a US XBox - I wanted to know if the PAL version will run on it?

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Just read/watched the gamespot review of GTA:SA on X-Box & PC. Apparantly the X-Box version looks pretty bad with real bad jaggies and shocking anti alaising everywhere. The loading times are also bad on the X-Box and have an annoying loading bar unlike in the PS2 version where loading was built into the game. The PC version is easily the best looking but has random sound bugs (although these sometimes never appear and will probably be fixed in a patch).

Seems like the PC version is the best but it's very disapointing for X-Box owners who were perhaps hoping for a better version than the PS2 one.

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    You mean the Xbox version has to stop and load up between areas?

7. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    The review over at IGN says the complete opposite of this. Smoother, higer res textures and even quicker loading. All the US forums are saying it's much better also.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Yep, seems so. I can't understand this at all as the PS2 version has pretty clever ways of disguising the loading times.

Just read the X-Box review on IGN and it seems that it only slightly improves over the PS2 version in terms of visuals. The reviews view is:

"It's my opinion, of course, but the difference between the PS2 version and the Xbox version isn't all that great. In fact, it seems the difference in clarity between Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on PS2 and their Xbox versions is greater. Perhaps because of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas's voluminous size, it simply doesn't allow for much visual improvement."

The X-Box naturally has 480p and slightly better textures but I guess if people are expecting a substantial difference over the (let's be honest, rather shoddy looking) PS2 version, then they may be disapointed.

The IGN review does state that load times are shorter though. Maybe this is why they have gone for the dreaded loading bar as opposed to building the load times more into the game (ala the PS2 version). Perhaps they just seem more irritating due to having to watch that loading bar.

Personally, i'm no fan of the GTA games and got bored of the PS2 version pretty quickly but i'm sure GTA fans who have waited for the XB version will still love this.

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Ah well, good job I got the PC version then. Got frustrated with the PS2 one, so it got traded in, but I'm hoping the improved controls of the keyboard/mouse over the Dualshock will help me get more into it - I know I enjoy it when I play, it's just the PS2 doesn't get played any more. In fact its going on sale this weekend!

10. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I'll give you a quid for it :D

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I hope that offer includes P&P! :eek: :D :rotfl:

12. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    This game is not even 480p. Just played it on my Tosh 36ZP48. You can change the scan modes in the TV menu. This feature is usually disabled when a progressive image is being displayed. Why the hell didn't they make it 480p?

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Because it would show of the crappy graphics even more?

14. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yeah the graphics are c**p. Just like the PS2 version.

15. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to get the US version if you want 480p.

It was the same with the GTA double pack, only the US version ran in Progressive Scan.

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not tried this yet but I find it difficult to believe it looks worse than the PS2 version which was absolutely shocking.

The xbox has 480p and you can install it to the HD so superior load times (With suitable patch and modded box), so for many it will be the best console version of the game available. We also get 5.1 :)

Still I agree its very disappointing that they have done a botched conversion and not properly used the superior power of the xbox.

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Sadly they only saw fit to include 480p in the US version...why?? :confused: Gamespot rated the PS2 version at 96%, the XB version 92% and the PC version 90%. Shame really that they make games to the spec of the worst performer and then just end up doing pretty much a straight port to more powerful machines!

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yea I heard that. Ill just buy the us version then or download the patch. Dosnt help the majority though.

19. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Thats what I mean about having a machine like the PS2 in the lead market wise.

Anything that comes out on that machine and is later ported will always look the same as the machine it was first made for. Even if the game is being ported to a more powerfull machine.

Of course it should be possible to make it better in every respect on the XBox and even more so on the PC. But it would mean re-writing the game code for each system. I dont think they can be bothered doing that!

Well just think of it this way; At least with the new generation of consoles (PS3, 360) they are all evenly matched and whichever becomes the market leader we can be sure all the games will look amazing compared to the dated PS2 architecture.

20. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Harris UK.

What do you mean download the patch? Is there a trick you know on how to get the pal version working in progressive scan? If so, can you share it with me? :smashin:

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sorry I meant there is a patch available to get it running off the HD. There have been patches available in the past for the few PAL games that didnt support 480p. Maybe one will become available for GTA SA ???

Got to say its very very lazy of Rock Star :lesson:

22. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I hired this out last night just to see if the PAL xbox version was a bad as people are saying. I had this game on the PS2 so I am in a position to make a fair comparison.

OK on my PJ even without 480p the xbox version is massively superior to the PS2 version :

- Much greater viewing distance. Houses and objects can been seen clearly in the backgrounds; this wasnt the case on the PS2 version (not on my big screen anyway)
    - Non of the blocky blurred graphics I was getting from the PS2 ; textures are of a much higher quality particularly when travelling at speed in the vehicles.
    - When you go fast in the car and vehicles you dont get the blurred smudge effect around the car and on the horizon to make up for the poor processing power of the PS2
    - 5.1 sound :)

Overall everything looks much sharper and slicker than the PS2 version. So I can say having seen both versions that EVEN comparing PAL Xbox version to Pal PS2 version the game is significantly superior.

In fairness I didnt connect the PS2 up via components (High quality scart) and my xbox is connected by component, but as the Pal xbox version dosnt support 480p the difference should not be this huge. I can only imagine a this point how much better the NTSC version with 480p is over the PS2 version.

23. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    As much as I hate to drag this back on to the topic I originally started :D - does anyone know if a PAL version will run on a US XBox?

24. neverenoughtoys

neverenoughtoys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    if you softmod that ntsc box , I reckon it should be fine .

arjo