Samusing D7000/D8000 How bad are the reflections?

logiclee

Hi All,

My three year old Sony 52W4000 has a red verticle line down the screen so it looks like the panel is toast.

I'm looking at the Samsung 55D7000 but one thing is troubling me, reflections.

My lounge has windows, table lamps, fishtank etc and my current Sony has a matt screen and nothing reflects in it.
The Samsung has a pretty glossy panel and a couple of reviews suggest it picks up reflections quite badly.

So how are owners finding it?

Thanks
Lee

Nick Odgers

I saw one in Richer Sounds recently and it was a bit like a mirror, ok in a dark room but not a bright one. I have a lot of light in my room and recently bought a Sony KDL55EX723 which has more of a matte screen, it is slightly more reflective than the Sony KDL46W2000 I had before but I find it ok for daytime viewing.

logiclee

I saw one in Richer Sounds recently and it was a bit like a mirror, ok in a dark room but not a bright one. I have a lot of light in my room and recently bought a Sony KDL55EX723 which has more of a matte screen, it is slightly more reflective than the Sony KDL46W2000 I had before but I find it ok for daytime viewing.

Yep I've since had a look in Currys and they had a D7000 and D8000 opposite each other. I could turn one off, go and stand behind the one that was on and watch the picture on the one that was turned off.
So have had to rule out the Samsungs.

I've been in the Sony shop, they ony have three 55" models now and the HX823 and HX923 both have Gorilla Glass which is supposed to be anti-glare. But reflections are still an issue so I've ruled them out as well. I don't get the modern thinking off making a TV look good when it's off when it compromises the TV when it's on.
So currently it looks like I'll be going with a KDL-55EX723. I've always bough higher end TV's but the reviews of the EX723 seem good for 2D but poor for 3D but I'm not bothered about 3D so that's fine with me. I'll miss my lit up Sony sign though.

Cheers
Lee

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom