Samurai fix

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the exception of Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjaro, Kagemusha, Shogun & Shogun Assassin.. what other Samurai movies come recommended ?

I'd prefer them on Blu, but I understand only few from this genre have been released so I may have to hunt down the DVD in some cases :eek:

Twilight Samurai Twilight Samurai, The (UK - DVD R2) in Reviews > Video Discs at DVDActive

Understated and one of my favourite films from Japan.

If you want something a bit louder (and madder) then Gojoe may fit your requirements Gojoe: Spirit War Chronicle : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

Never liked Kagemusha meself alas. Intend to give it another try one day.

You may also enjoy the Zatôichi series of films, quite a number of them! Main fella who played him is Shintarô Katsu:

Shintarô Katsu - IMDb

Thanks guys, I will start trying to source a few. I have become quite partial to the Toshirô Mifune films and was suprised he starred in over 180 titles. Although saying that, I am totally astounded at the sheer volume of Japanese titles in this genre and hoping the recommendations here could help in filtering the great from the, not so :smashin:

I haven't seen Kagemusha yet but thought I'd give it a blast, as it was half price, it seemed rude not to :D

Best thing I've found for buying international cinema is follow actors and directors you really like (working your way through the IMDb) and you'll find some real gems.

Samurai films are mostly road movies really I've found and we all like them (latest great road movie being Monsters). I have loads of non-samurai Japanese films which are esentially just Samurai films without swords.

My favourite Japanese actor who's working: Tadanobu Asano I work my way through what he's done and then the directors he's worked with etc etc. Many people will know him as Ichi: The Killer That film is just a Samurai story but with more blood.

Dig around the IMDb.

With the exception of Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjaro, Kagemusha, Shogun & Shogun Assassin.. what other Samurai movies come recommended ?

I'd prefer them on Blu, but I understand only few from this genre have been released so I may have to hunt down the DVD in some cases :eek:

Ha! Easy! Look to the left of this sentence.

Its not on blu-ray (it isnt - ive checked ;) ) but its probably my favourite samurai film....a film that has to be seen to be believed! :D

You dont know cheese until youve experienced...Samurai Cop

There really aren't many on Blu at all, aside from the 3 classic Kurosawa films you've mentioned, the Beat Takeshi version of Zatoichi is worth a look.

One (on dvd) that I keep meaning to pick up that's meant to be very good is The Sword of Doom (which stars Tatsuya Nakadai who also played the gunslinger in Yojimbo)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom