Samurai and Martial arts.

I

inbrednut

Just started to get into this genre, and its hard to find the best of the bunch so to speak.

Also looking for Martial arts films.

Any recomendations?

:thumbsup:

old jackie chan movies

"Snake in eagles shadow" or "Police story"

Or some newer stuff like "Crouching tiger hidden dragon" "Hero" and "Ong Bak", "kung fu hustle" looks good but i've only watched half of it.

yea, had them down on the list of need to watch.

Watched zatochi a few months back and thought it was brilliant, any decent samurai revenge movies like this that is a must ?

Some I've seen an enjoyed recently are...

Wing Chun (But then I have to like this as I'm studying the art :D )
Hero
House of Flying daggers
Iron Monkey
Heroic Trio
Zu Warriors from Magic Mountain
Azumi
Azumi 2
Sky High
Seven Samurai
RAN
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Arahan
Legend of a Fighter

Thats about it :)

Neil

I recently saw Warrior King starring Tony Jaa from Ong Bak. Absolutely brilliant fun. Never heard so many people in a cinema going "oooof", "oooh" etc. Insane plot too but Tony Jaa is unbelievable. There's a great scene where he fights a capoeira (spelling?) fighter, someone using wu shu (maybe) and then a big bruiser. Classic.

The Once Upon a Time in China series starring Jet Li are worth watching, as are Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2

Soundwave said:
Some I've seen an enjoyed recently are...

Wing Chun (But then I have to like this as I'm studying the art :D )

Neil

If you are wing chun afficianado then watch

The Prodigal Son

Apparently one of the best wing chun films to date!!

Excellent film IMO

Samurai films: Ran, Kagemusha, Yojimbo,

Kung Fu: Drunken master 1 & 2 (of course :D ), Fist of Legend, Twin warriors, Thundering Mantis

A film I though was very good is "Fighter in the wind". No where near as flashy as Tony Jaa but the marshal arts is just as direct.

Also a much better story line.

If you're not too serious about the genre then 'Kung Fu Hustle' is hugely enjoyable - chop socky slapstick that isn't above taking the mickey out of itself.

I can take or leave Bruce Lee but think that everyone should see his fight with Chuck Norris in 'Way of the Dragon'.

my favorite is probably HERO, superb film :clap:

crouching tiger and house of the flying daggers are a good watch

jet li's new film called fearless is very good also :D

obviously bruce lee films are a must, if you just look at him as a martial artist, rather than a hashed up hollywood hero you cant deny he is simply awesome.

one of the best things i remember is hearing an interview where they said they had to "slow" the film down so you could see him hitting people :eek:

just thought of a few others...

jet li's fist of legend

the last samurai

the drunken master?

kill bill series....uma is hot :D

bloodsport - van damme fan or not, the fight sequences are great!

ong-bak and kung fu hustle are worth a watch for sure also :D

rhino2k said:
bloodsport - van damme fan or not, the fight sequences are great!

But very dated now!

Just a few to see

The Prodigal Son
Bichunmoo
Drunken Master 2
Eastern Condors
Dragons Forever
SPL
House of Flying Daggers
Seven Swords
Shadowless Sword
The Warrior (not strickly martial arts but a brilliant film)
The Five Venoms

The Prodigal Son
Bichunmoo
House of Flying Daggers
ong-bak
kill bill -japenese R2 full uncut,full colour dVD
Lady snowblood- blizzard from the netherworld(the film that inspired kill bill)
Shogun Assassin
Princess blade
the last samurai

jet li's fist of legend
Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2
Kiss of the dragon

Iron Monkey
police story 3

Tiger on the beat
Rumble in the bronx
Who am I?

the Young master

mjn said:
But very dated now!
true, but if you watch bruce lee movies then its not so dated :D

Also, The Quest (1996) another van-damme flick similar to Bloodsport.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned any Steven Seagal films. So, he isn't much of an actor but nobody could deny he's a great Aikido master who introduced many (includng myself) to this little known or talked about martial art.

Some of his earlier films come to mind in particular:

Hard to Kill
Marked for Death
Under Siege
Out for Justice
etc.

MI55ION said:
Also, The Quest (1996) another van-damme flick similar to Bloodsport.

Thats an awful film. Considering in the film, he spent ages on "Muay Thai Island" training to be a Muay Thai fighter....then in the fight scenes...why didn't he fight like a Muay Thai fighter? Utter pish.

If you like 5 mins of Aikido, with 1hr and 55m of bad acting,(probably the worst acting, making shwarzzy look good!), bad storyline and poor direction then any of the Seagal films are recommended. ;)

If on the other hand you enjoy leg splits, glistening muscles :rolleyes: and a flying roundhouse kick obligatory in everyfilm where the opponent does not move an inch, with equal film making techniques as mentioned above, then Mr Dammes, films are also highly recommended :D

I know a few people that like these action martial art flicks, so this is just a very personal viewpoint :D

mjn said:
Thats an awful film. Considering in the film, he spent ages on "Muay Thai Island" training to be a Muay Thai fighter....then in the fight scenes...why didn't he fight like a Muay Thai fighter? Utter pish.

Have to agree, at the time it was released I rather enjoyed it but of course it's a different matter now. The best thing about that film wasn't van damme's muay thai skills however, but to watch the other fighters from around the world battle it out with their own unique styles of fighting. I was particularly impressed with the capoeira man from Brazil and the Kungfu guy from China. In saying all this though, you should understand that I was really into any sort of martial art films when I was younger, couldn't care less about the acting as long as there were some good fight scenes.

MI55ION said:
In saying all this though, you should understand that I was really into any sort of martial art films when I was younger, couldn't care less about the acting as long as there were some good fight scenes.

Having trained in martial arts for 17 years, i can't help but watch films and think, " yeah right, thats as realistic as...." or "yeah right, thats as effective as ......"

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom