Quantcast

Bargain Samsung's Wireless Speakers (VL550/VL350) with a Samsung TV - VL350 now just £75

GadgetObsessed

I recently put a Samsung 32" TV in our kitchen. As a family we have found that we are most often using the TV for Amazon Music and Spotify. For a slimline TV the Samsung has reasonable sound quality but I wanted to try something to improve it - especially as we have a large kitchen/diner. Samsung TVs support wireless streaming directly to Samsung wireless speakers. Within the TV menu you can set these speakers up in any configuration from single speaker to a stereo pair up to 5.0.

Personally I think that this is a fantastic feature but something that I have not seen much mention of before. Samsung really should market this feature - and the asociated speakers - more.

I ended up getting two Samsung VL550 wireless speakers and use them as a stereo pair. The sound quality is excellent.
They are also a great price now. They were £600 each when launched about a year ago but you can buy them now for less than £200.
Samsung also have a smaller speaker, the VL350, which was launched at £400 and is now less than £100. (I have a couple of these too.)

Has anyone else actually used such a setup with their Samsung TV?

For around £500 you could have a 5.0 setup (VL550 for the centre and 4xVL350 for surrounds) that I think would sound very good and work without any AV amp or wires.

Here is a review of the Samsung VL550 by Steve Withers (one of the official AV Forums reviewers) he gave the VL550 4.5/5 when the speaker was £600:

And my own review of the VL550/VL350

Last edited:

GadgetObsessed

jon smith

I don’t know about connecting these to the TV (they really should advertise that). Is Alexa built in (with mics) or needs another device?

GadgetObsessed

I don’t know about connecting these to the TV (they really should advertise that). Is Alexa built in (with mics) or needs another device?
You need a separate Alexa device such as an Echo and you need to install the "Samsung Wireless Audio” skill on the Echo. Then you can say things like "Alexa Play Kiss FM on Living room"

More details on p26 of the instruction manual here:

I have an Echo but have not tried this. I might give it a go this weekend.

jon smith

Thanks, would you be able to check if you can group echo devices with the Samsung, so you can set default speakers and don’t need to add the “on living room bit”

off topic, but Alexa is pretty much taking over from my previously loved Sonos setup.

GadgetObsessed

Thanks, would you be able to check if you can group echo devices with the Samsung, so you can set default speakers and don’t need to add the “on living room bit”

off topic, but Alexa is pretty much taking over from my previously loved Sonos setup.
I did finally get round to connecting up my daughters Amazon Echo with one of the Samsung speakers.

Once I have renamed the speakers to something easy to say, I could say "Play dance music on Samsung One" and a few other things. Personally, I do not find Alexa very intuitive - it is never clear to me what the full scope of commands for a particular function.

I never got as far as trying to group the Echo with the Samsung - sorry.

prmbasheer

Novice Member
I did finally get round to connecting up my daughters Amazon Echo with one of the Samsung speakers.

Once I have renamed the speakers to something easy to say, I could say "Play dance music on Samsung One" and a few other things. Personally, I do not find Alexa very intuitive - it is never clear to me what the full scope of commands for a particular function.

I never got as far as trying to group the Echo with the Samsung - sorry.
Alexa integration with these speakers is limited to playing only music. Instead of linking with Alexa, I connected Echo through bluetooth and now sound comes out of Samsung VL350 instead of Echo.

Nivs123

Novice Member
I recently put a Samsung 32" TV in our kitchen. As a family we have found that we are most often using the TV for Amazon Music and Spotify. For a slimline TV the Samsung has reasonable sound quality but I wanted to try something to improve it - especially as we have a large kitchen/diner. Samsung TVs support wireless streaming directly to Samsung wireless speakers. Within the TV menu you can set these speakers up in any configuration from single speaker to a stereo pair up to 5.0.

Personally I think that this is a fantastic feature but something that I have not seen much mention of before. Samsung really should market this feature - and the asociated speakers - more.

I ended up getting two Samsung VL550 wireless speakers and use them as a stereo pair. The sound quality is excellent.
They are also a great price now. They were £600 each when launched about a year ago but you can buy them now for less than £200.
Samsung also have a smaller speaker, the VL350, which was launched at £400 and is now less than £100. (I have a couple of these too.)

Has anyone else actually used such a setup with their Samsung TV?

For around £500 you could have a 5.0 setup (VL550 for the centre and 4xVL350 for surrounds) that I think would sound very good and work without any AV amp or wires.

Here is a review of the Samsung VL550 by Steve Withers (one of the official AV Forums reviewers) he gave the VL550 4.5/5 when the speaker was £600:

And my own review of the VL550/VL350
2 x 550/551‘s will give you dual mono, not stereo pair.

GadgetObsessed

2 x 550/551‘s will give you dual mono, not stereo pair.
No it does not.

I have run my 550s as a "group" and they run as dual stereo I.e. each one is L+R. More often I have set one up as the Left speaker and the other as the right speaker from my TV using Spotify or Prime music. (Samsung TVs support direct streaming to these speakers.) My wife hates having both 550s together so I now just use a single one streaming straight from the TV.

Only the 350 supports being put into a stereo pair.

prmbasheer

Novice Member
I have been trying to integrate with Alexa. It shows in Alexa app too. When I ask Alexa to play music, it says it is playing in VL350. But there is no sound coming out of VL350! What am I doing wrong?

prmbasheer

Novice Member
Any help on this is appreciated. I have tried to integrate VL350 to Alexa multiple times. It completes the process and Alexa also confirms it is playing music in VL350. But I get no music. I have tried multiple times, following instructions in VL350 manual. Not sure what I am missing. I am using new SmartThings app not the classic. Is that right?

prmbasheer

Novice Member
Any help on this is appreciated. I have tried to integrate VL350 to Alexa multiple times. It completes the process and Alexa also confirms it is playing music in VL350. But I get no music. I have tried multiple times, following instructions in VL350 manual. Not sure what I am missing. I am using new SmartThings app not the classic. Is that right?
Somehow, I got it to work. Didn't try anything different. Just tried the same thing multiple times and one of those times, it worked.