• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Samsung's new One Connect box doesn't support 480p via HDMI. Service Menu setting?

nimaje

Novice Member
-EDIT 3-
---
Samsung's TV does indeed support both 480i and 480p. It's the cable I'm using. Hyperkin's Panorama HDMI cable for the original Xbox must not be sending a perfect, pristine 480i or 480p signal, so therefore, the Samsung TV ignores it and displays 'No Signal.' I purchased the Pound 'HD Link Cable for Original Xbox System' and it worked perfectly!
---

-EDIT 2-
---
Rtings.com actually retested their 2018 The Frame for me and confirmed that it does indeed support 480p (thank you Rtings!), so it's sounding more like The Frame is very particular about the signal it receives and the Hyperkin Panorama cable might not be sending a perfect signal. I've order the Pound Technology Xbox HDMI cable and will edit this post once more with hopefully good news.
---
-EDIT 1-
---
It appears that the One Connect box can accept 480p when connecting to a Q9FN, however, when connecting to The Frame (2018) it says 'No Signal.' It's possible the slightly different firmware won't allow The Frame to accept a 480p signal under any circumstances. The input lists 'Unknown Device' by default and I've manually set the source input to 'PC' and 'Game Console' to no avail.
---

I have Samsung's 65" The Frame (2018) which comes with the newest One Connect box. I recently bought the Hyperkin Panorama HDMI cable for the original Xbox. This cable converts the analog signal output by the OG Xbox to digital and sends the signal via HDMI. When on its System Menu, the original Xbox outputs 480i by default, but by pressing a button combination, you can change it to 480p. I connected my Xbox to an old junky 720p TV using this cable and it works. I switched the Xbox into '480p mode,' then inserted the cable into the One Connect box on my new Samsung The Frame (2018) TV, and The Frame says that an 'Unknown Device' is connected and that it's getting 'No Signal.'

After a bit of research, it appears Samsung TVs will only support 480i (and 480p?) if there is a standard A/V Input on either the TV or One Connect box. Since the newest One Connect box only has 4 HDMI inputs (and a coax), I don't think it will support 480i or 480p at all which is a shame. I've never seen a TV with HDMI inputs refuse a 480p signal.

Does anyone know, is there by some miraculous chance a way to enable this in the Service Menu or something or is there any other way to get this HDMI cable to work with the new One Connect box?

Last edited:
I set my PC to output at 480p and it worked with my 2018 Q9FN which uses a One connect box.
I can't see Samsung releasing a TV that couldn't receive 480p either.

There is a possible cause I can think of. The One connect box uses a more advanced HDMI handshaking system than standard to auto detect/setup devices such as a PS4 for you with correct settings.

However on the thread for the 2018 Q9FN TV on here some people including myself would like Samsung to give us an option to turn that HDMI feature off as we believe it can cause problems with some devices.
Now that is possibly what you are getting. Sorry to say but I can't think of a fix if it is not working at all.

Only thing I can think of is manually changing the label of the HDMI port the console is connected too to Games console or PC mode. Maybe that will make it notice the device properly and sync.

nimaje

Novice Member
Ah, that was a good idea, however, when doing that, nothing happened. It still displays 'No Signal' when setting it to both Game Console and PC. I posted over on the Samsung support forums, and the mods over there kept telling me to use the 'AV Input' which the One Connect box doesn't have, so it makes me wonder if they even know what they're talking about. In the end, one of them said that The Frame (2018) doesn't support 480i or 480p which is just crazy. I do know that The Frame (2018) has slightly different firmware than the Q9FN because The Frame has an Art Mode which has an extra menu option on the Tizen OS, so I guess it's possible that while The Frame uses the exact same One Connect box, it may really not support 480i or 480p. :(

Ah, that was a good idea, however, when doing that, nothing happened. It still displays 'No Signal' when setting it to both Game Console and PC. I posted over on the Samsung support forums, and the mods over there kept telling me to use the 'AV Input' which the One Connect box doesn't have, so it makes me wonder if they even know what they're talking about. In the end, one of them said that The Frame (2018) doesn't support 480i or 480p which is just crazy. I do know that The Frame (2018) has slightly different firmware than the Q9FN because The Frame has an Art Mode which has an extra menu option on the Tizen OS, so I guess it's possible that while The Frame uses the exact same One Connect box, it may really not support 480i or 480p. :(

I don't get it, I would love to try your 480p Xbox on my Q9FN and see what happened.
I find it very hard to believe any TV could not accept 480p via HDMI even in todays 4K world.
Sorry I couldn't help more.

nimaje

Novice Member
I don't get it, I would love to try your 480p Xbox on my Q9FN and see what happened.
I find it very hard to believe any TV could not accept 480p via HDMI even in todays 4K world.
Sorry I couldn't help more.
It's cool, thank you for trying. Yeah, I don't get it either. I can try a different company's cable. Maybe for some insane reason, Hyperkin's cable has some weird HDCP issue. One other company, Pound Technology makes an analog to digital HDMI cable for the OG Xbox, so I'll try that as one last option. Failing that, I guess I'm going to have to settle for an upscaler. I actually had a Q9FN, but returned it for The Frame because I play a lot of retro games and preferred the color uniformity of an edge lit TV over FALD. Had I known, I would've tested the Xbox on it. I didn't think this would be any issue at all. Thanks again.

nimaje

Novice Member
@blackmesa8 It turns out it was the cable! I edited my original post to reflect my findings. The Pound HDMI cable worked perfectly. I can confirm The Frame (2018) supports both 480i and 480p. The Hyperkin Xbox HDMI cable must not be sending a perfect signal. Rtings.com told me that Samsung TVs tend to be finicky with accepting the signal they're receiving.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom