Samsung's 85-inch Ultra HD S9 TV will cost you £35k

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Youch

Samsung's 85-inch Ultra High Definition TV is to be sold exclusively through Selfridges although we doubt the retailer is going to be inundated with orders, considering the price tag is a penny shy of a cool £35,000. For comparison, you can get the equivalent TVs from LG and Sony for approximately £20k and £25k, respectively. Ok, you'd lose an inch but who's counting at that size?

Samsung today delivered the S9 to Selfridges today and it will be sold in the flagship Oxford Street store as well as in Selfridges Birmingham.

Samsung is calling the S9 the world’s first Future Ready UHD TV. At first we thought they were perhaps talking about an ability to decode HEVC (h.265) but it seems they were just meaning its compatible with the Smart Evolution Kit which allows users to upgrade the Smart TV features, year on year.

attachment.php

Guy Kinnell, Head of TV and AV at Samsung Electronics UK & Ireland, said: ‘’The S9 is pure inspiration and ambition. Our designers and engineers have pushed the boundaries of what is possible in terms of picture, design, and technology to deliver a statement for the home few can match. Customers of Selfridges will have a unique opportunity to experience this amazing product first. This is only fitting given Selfridges' role in demonstrating TV publically first to UK consumers in April 1925.’’

Richard Jones, Selfridges Technology Buying Manager comments: “We are very excited to launch Samsung’s 85" S9 Ultra High Definition LED TV exclusively in our stores. This is the world's first Future Ready UHD TV, the quality and definition breaks new boundaries in the world of HD TV. Our customers expect the latest and finest technology for their homes and personal use. We hope to pioneer the way forward in the latest releases and Samsung is exactly this, I’m sure it will be a huge success.”

Who's sticking in a pre-order?

Attachments

• s9.jpeg
    s9.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,435

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Er, I'll think you'll find it's a, 'timeless gallery design inspired by the concept of canvas on an easel.'

At least that's what it says in the marketing spiel.

gagaga

is this the ugliest tv ever?

They actually look really good in the flesh (just back from Korea).

The bezel is tiny. Only thing that is odd is that if you're sat to the side of the screen, part of the panel is blocked by the stand (the stand is an A shape).

Prefer this design to the Sony and LG models (saw all three....).

vaktmestern

Banned
Well priced tv ill take 2 :rolleyes:

Nevaborn

Don't care if the Bezel is tiny its the worst design I've seen in years. Someone has seen a chalkboard and thought we'll have some of that !

zenza

Saw this the other day in Selfridges and although it has an amazing PQ, I don't think it can be worth £35k.

cdb

Youch

Samsung's 85-inch Ultra High Definition TV is to be sold exclusively through Selfridges although we doubt the retailer is going to be inundated with orders, considering the price tag is a penny shy of a cool £35,000.

That's alot cheaper than the one I saw in Harrods a couple of weeks back. I'm sure it had a price tag of £84K ish. That was £1K per inch.

Last edited:

gagaga

Saw this the other day in Selfridges and although it has an amazing PQ, I don't think it can be worth £35k.

Exactly - just like the similar sized panny plasmas of a few years ago.

Give it 2 years and 84" will top out the mainstream range for £3k ish

vaktmestern

Banned
35K and the tv has cloading issues :laugh:

Great work samsung :smashin:

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom